Combo or Rig?

Devinstation

• Members

I started off with a 100 watt combo. Then sold it to buy a 200 watt combo. Then bought a head/cab setup.

At first I would say if I could go back I would have bought a decent preamp, amp, cab setup. But I find that my combo has it's uses and I'm glad I have it.

You could go either way. (I would go with a head/cab) but you'll need at least 300 watts (or a good PA), and at least one 15 or 2 10s (more the merrier).

But that's just my opinion.

Yo.

• Members

I must put my 2% in on this. The New Ashdown cabs are a fantastic deal and sound great. My last rig was an Eden WT400plus with a 212XLT and a 115XLT. My rig before that was a GK head as a pre and a Crown mt1200 with some custom built cabs 210x2 and 115x2. My rig before that was a Trace elliot 300SM and a 210 and 410 Trace cabs. My rig before that was a 74 SVT with matching cab as well as some other good gear in the past ten years. Its safe to say I know what good gear sounds and acts like. The Ashdown mag stuff is realy decent in any price range. The mag 300head with one or two cabs will suit most needs. As far as reliability goes, the chinese stuff seems better than the england stuff IMHO. P.S. Please stop dumping on their cabs. They are good I tell ya!

• Members

I can buy the GK 800 RB and the Peavey TX 210 together for an easy $500. Add in some christmas money ... I could prolly sell off the cab at some point in time and grab and avatar 4x10 OR buy an Avatar 2x10, and when I need the extra noise just stack the 2x10s. What do you guys think of that set-up? Is it a good idea ...?

• Members

In my head I like to think I can play everything :D ... But onstage where it counts I play Punk/Hard Core .... Basically heavy rock. BUT on stage I also play ska, so basically I go from loud angry picking, to low fat playing. But I want it loud, I can compromise for my ska band ... ;)

• Members
Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Do you know where Scottsbluff is? Gering is right next door.

Its on the other side of the state, in the panhandle, from Beatrice. About 20 miles from the Wyoming border.

Right-- I was through there a few years ago on my way home from Jackson/Grand Tetons. Last summer my brother and I followed HWY 2 from Hastings to Chadron and on into ND. Now I want a Runza. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by bd's_bass

Right-- I was through there a few years ago on my way home from Jackson/Grand Tetons. Last summer my brother and I followed HWY 2 from Hastings to Chadron and on into ND. Now I want a Runza.
;)

Ha! I'm in Chadron for college now!:D

D-Station-I think you've got a good rig idea going. Should work just fine for you.

• Members

The 800RB is a great amp to center a rig around.

And if something happens to it GK will take care of the problem. They put a brand new IV-series preamp in my III-series amp because the whole thing was going bad. Its basically a 400RB-III.5 now. Hell, they even CALLED me to get it right!

Adding one of Avatars bigger-speakered cabs should help get the big low sound if the Peavey 2x10 doesn't.

• Members

Originally posted by Devinstation

So there is a life-time guaruntee on GKs? Thats awesome. Its like Rolls Royce(sp?) ... if anything goes wrong with it they will repair it for free because "Rolls Royce dont break down."

Not for free, the warranty only goes for a year, but they'll fix it for sure. My warranty ran out 2 years ago, and they still repaired it.

• Members

Mine is the GK700rbII/115. It's a 430w (with extension) that's the 700rbII head built directly into an RBH 115 cab (w/bi-amped tweeter). The internal speakers are connected with a speakon and the RBH cab is a 400 watter. The handle pulls out and I just wheel it away. I add a GK 2x10 for bigger clubs and the combo sits real nice right on top of the extension. I know it's odd to have the 15" speaker on top of the 2x10, but I wanted a 15" speaker when I run the combo standalone because we play rock. The tweeter is also in the combo so I get plenty of bite when I stack them. The 2x10 is a very deep cab and almost sounds "subbish" when placed on the ground.
I'm just now starting to aim the 2x10 towards my drummer (and guitar player) instead of stacking them and blasting straight out (and towards the microphones). This helps my guitar player (who's on the other side of the drummer) hear me better and there's still plenty of volume for me and the crowd. It also helps my singer because he doesn't need as much monitor to hear himself onstage. I want my guitar player to add a a small combo to his rig to place on my side of the drummer. His chorus pedal has STEREO OUT (a second output) and this would help me hear him on bigger stages.
:wave:

Archived