Worst murder/suicide attempt ever.

tjs

• Members

I'll say it's more luck than lousy aim. Or perhaps she couldn't bear to press the gun against his head (she didn't want to get crap all over her after all) so she shot from a few feet away.

There are also feeble handgun rounds that are known to even BOUNCE off of people's skulls (25 ACP is one). That would be a heckuva headache.

The lesson here is one should use a manly American caliber like a 45.:thu: Even a guy so lucky will end up leaking to death from the half inch hole he'll be adorned with.

• Members

Originally posted by syciprider

I'll say it's more luck than lousy aim. Or perhaps she couldn't bear to press the gun against his head (she didn't want to get crap all over her after all) so she shot from a few feet away.

There are also feeble handgun rounds that are known to even BOUNCE off of people's skulls (25 ACP is one). That would be a heckuva headache.

The lesson here is one should use a manly American caliber like a 45.
:thu:
Even a guy so lucky will end up leaking to death from the half inch hole he'll be adorned with.

Wouldn't a 9mm bullet basically leave someone without much of a head left? :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

Wouldn't a 9mm bullet basically leave someone without much of a head left?
:eek:

Hollowpoint---yes

If I've got my ballistics right, it's the shockwave caused in tissue by a high velocity object (eg, bullet) passing through it that does most damage. Shoot a melon sometime and you'll see the effect.

Small entry, BIG exit.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

44 Magnum.

. . . the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky?....Well, do ya punk?

You're pretty close, but actually, the quote goes like this:

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

:D

• Members

460-3.gif

L-R: 45 Colt, 454 Cassull (it eclipsed the 44 S&W Mag in power in the 70s IIRC.) and the new 460 S&W magnum. The 44 Mag is as tall as the 45 Colt. The 2" tall 460 Magnum is Smith's latest handcannon round. The point blank range is 200 yards. The bullet flies over 2200 ft/sec at the muzzle. That's 30-30 Winchester territory. The present big Daddy, the 500 Magnum is a bit fatter than the 460 and can shoot heavier bullets. A friend has one. It is very expensive to shoot.:thu: We always cool down with 44 Mags after shooting the 500 bruiser.;)

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

Wouldn't a 9mm bullet basically leave someone without much of a head left?
:eek:

9mm is a pretty wussy round. The jacketed round nose (a.k.a. "hardball" or "mil-spec") rounds are especially useless. Ballistics are marginally better than lead .38 special.

Originally posted by ezstep

44 Magnum.

With respect to .44 mag and .50 AE, these are meant for medium game hunting with a handgun. They work for things like deer up to 150 lbs at close range. If you shoot a person with them, they're likely to just zip through them with minimal expansion or energy loss. They just drill right through.

What "blows your head clean off" is the massive hydrostatic shock associated with a mushrooming bullet dumping it's energy into you. All the real-world data point to .357 mag as still being the best fight-stopper among defensive handgun rounds. Various other rounds (e.g., 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, etc.) were expressly developed to match the ballistics of the 125-grain JHP .357 mag loads. It would seem that .357 mag is still king of the defensive handgun rounds.

Believe it or not, we studied wound ballistics in med school as part of our trauma rotation!

Emre

• Members

Originally posted by syciprider

A friend has one. It is very expensive to shoot.

Marlboro: You know, that gun costs about two dollars every time you fire it. That's two bucks a bullet.

Harley Davidson: Well how many'd I hit?

Marlboro: You spent twelve dollars and didn't hit a goddamn thing. I nailed one and it cost about four and a quarter.

:D

Archived