Is it possible to get that 'room-filling' sound from 10" speakers?

seraphim7s

• Members

I mean that warm 'river of bass' you hear when you slide down the E string, and it just fills in the sound perfectly, setting up all the other instruments.

I'm asking because I've only really experienced it with 15" speakers, but I dislike the boominess and slowness of response of the big fellas.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

It's about the only commonly found low freq 4x10.

-10db@29hz is good?

Wow.

you can get 10" subs that are rated -3dB@23hz.

Usually for cars, but if you put some of those subs in an appropriate cabinate and bi amp with a normal 4X10, you could absolutely kick low-end ass.

Okay, won't save you any money, but you'll have a much flatter freq response.

I wouldn't want my b string to be -10dB. that's why i use 15"s, but I'll admit that it lacks the punch and clarity at times.

• Members

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

-10db@29hz is good?

Wow.

you can get 10" subs that are rated -3dB@23hz.

Usually for cars, but if you put some of those subs in an appropriate cabinate and bi amp with a normal 4X10, you could absolutely kick low-end ass.

Okay, won't save you any money, but you'll have a much flatter freq response.

I wouldn't want my b string to be -10dB. that's why i use 15"s, but I'll admit that it lacks the punch and clarity at times.

How many commercially offered 15" cabs are rated at -3dB at 30 Hz?

There are 8" subs available that will play flat down to 20 Hz, but they have a sensitivity of about 82 dB. This means that you either need a whole bunch of them or a lot of power or both to get them to play loud enough.

The compromise made with bass cabs is between sensitivity and response. A cab that won't play below 100 Hz is as worthless as a cab that requires 5000 watts to achieve 115 dB.

• Members

Originally posted by bassplayer7770

I'm sure it sounds good, but...128 pounds...
:eek:

We've always called heavy cabs,''Widow makers". :eek:

I used to prefer using 15''s. It seems like the smaller speakers respond better. Faster passages feel slighter more articulate with the 4/10'' cabinets. :)

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Bassius

i played a concert last night in a theatre with about 700 seats with my portabass 2x10. granted there was a PA but the stage volume was all ampeg. no bass in monitor. it sounded great.

+1 No matter what the size of the venue, as long as it has a PA and monitors (which is 90% of our shows) a 2x10 is all that is needed.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by burdizzos

And it's power hungry from what I hear.

I'd much rather have an Acme B4, but not too many people can actually try one of those out.

I've got a PR- and feed it a steady diet of SVT-CL, which is about half of its rated 600w max rating. It pretty much owns any room it's in. If I need louder, I certainly don't want it all coming from the stage so I'll either mic or DI into the house.

• CMS Author

The bottom line IMO is that the measurement of the cone has little to nothing to do with the capability of a speaker. Phil Jones uses 4" drivers en-masse with amazing results. The Ampeg PR-410HLF is further proof that small drivers can go deep with clarity. There are also examples of tight punchy 15's, even 18's. It's all a matter of the parameters the driver designer juggles when creating a speaker. Consider how many drivers Eminence offers, and then how many more they custom-build as OEM drivers for a great many speaker companies (including Ampeg).

• Members

Originally posted by seraphim7s

I mean that warm 'river of bass' you hear when you slide down the E string, and it just fills in the sound perfectly, setting up all the other instruments.

I'm asking because I've only really experienced it with 15" speakers, but I dislike the boominess and slowness of response of the big fellas.

I can with my Yorkville Xm200 wich is a 2x10 set up Very warm sound.

Archived