Stolen Gear Recovered!

Phantasm

• Members

*** Edit: Note that none of my gear was stolen, these bands were friends of mine. ***

Tuesday night, three bands that I'm friends with went to their practice rooms to discover that they had been broken into and a considerable amount of gear had been stolen. We're talking about whole bass stacks, guitar halfstacks, guitars, keyboards, basses, anything of value.

The bands were totally crushed for obvious reasons - they now didn't have enough gear to play shows and they were uninsured. The police came and did virtually nothing, as it's a small town where they practice and the police don't have a lot of resources.

The next day, the bass player from one of the bands went to Guitar Center to try to pick up a cheap cabinet to play the two shows they have this weekend. Sure enough, in the used gear area his whole rig is sitting there! A call to the police is issued, and the cop shows him the license of the person who brought the gear in (along with fingerprints) and says, "do you know this guy?"

Sure enough, everyone knows this kid. He's in another band and he's a real asshole, and for bonus points he's over 18 so we've got ourselves a felony.

A few phone calls are placed. The police issue warrants in 4 counties. One of the bands who was ripped off but hasn't got their gear back decide that they're going to find this guy and start fantasizing about torturing him. They have his address, they know where he works, everyone knows him.

The guy hasn't turned up yet, but he lives with his mom and doesn't have money to run. If he's smart, he'll turn himself in and reveal where all the stuff is located.

GC is already saying that they're pressing charges. I'd say someone's going to jail for a felony...

Plus all the bands will hopefully get their stuff, GC gets their stuff, and one more asshole is no longer part of the scene.

I love happy endings.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice to hear things turned out well.

A while back someone broke into my church and stole a $800ish guitar and keyboard that costed about the same. Did some damage to church property as well. :(

It was a nice guitar too... forgot from where though.

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

The crazy part is the kid's parents are LOADED.

you know, I know people like that, their parents have money but they steal.

I don't think they don't know the value of money or something...

• Members

They have never had to work for their stuff and don't know about having to save up the cash to get that next piece of gear. Have never paid a bill, bought their own groceries, and had to decide whether to get a set of strings & less gas; or skip on the strings.

You would think that GC would do a better check on something before offering it up for sale.

• Members

Originally posted by virtualpoopspecs

You would think that GC would do a better check on something before offering it up for sale.

They do all they can, I work at gamestop as a part time and they do the same thing when someone trades in a game/system. We take down the licence info when they want cash as well. We take down their info including their home phone number.

Imagine if GC didn't take down info when someone traded something in. Nothing they can do.

• Members

Originally posted by 311IncubusCKY

i believe GC holds all used gear for 1 month untill putting it out on the sales floor for exactly this reason....

-todd

I don't know, they tossed my trace 4x10 on the floor within a half an hour after I sold it to them.

• Members

Originally posted by virtualpoopspecs

They have never had to work for their stuff and don't know about having to save up the cash to get that next piece of gear. Have never paid a bill, bought their own groceries, and had to decide whether to get a set of strings & less gas; or skip on the strings.

It's been my experience that rich kids are as likely to be theives as poor kids, and are generally more brazen because the idea of "consequences" is foreign to their sheltered lives...as evidenced by this kid using his own ID for the transaction.

Glad he was caught, your buddy caught a break for sure. Around here, if you pawn or trade something to a shop, they put it in the back for 30 days to make DAMN sure they aren't selling any stolen gear.

I can't {censored}ing stand theives. If you can't get through life as an honest person, you're a real piece of {censored}, because it's not that {censored}ing hard. I have an uncle that's a theif, and I wouldn't put dead flowers on his {censored}ing grave.

C7

• Members

Originally posted by Retrovertigo

I don't know, they tossed my trace 4x10 on the floor within a half an hour after I sold it to them.

from what I know, they put it on the floor, but no one can take it home for the first month.

• Members

Also they not only got a copy of his license, he had to leave fingerprints.

Another update, the guy sent a message on myspace essentially admitting his guilt. Once it's forwarded to me, I'll post it.

The gist of it is that he is threatening them that if they go to the police, the police will seize the gear and they'll never see it again. He's proposing that he returns what he has left and nobody presses charges.

• Members

Another update, the guy sent a message on myspace essentially admitting his guilt. Once it's forwarded to me, I'll post it.

The gist of it is that he is threatening them that if they go to the police, the police will seize the gear and they'll never see it again. He's proposing that he returns what he has left and nobody presses charges.

What a {censored}ing clown. Admits publicly that he stole the goods, is in possession of said stolen property, then offers to give the gear back? In person, I presume?

Geez.:rolleyes:

The cops only keep seized goods in confiscation cases. It would be like him trying to convince them that the car he stole wouldn't be returned.:rolleyes:

C7

• Members

Let the dude burn. Otherwise, he won't understand the gravity of his crimes. Stealing is stealing. Don't you wish he wasn't a US citizen so he'd get deported, I do.

• Members

Now that will be a priceless moment when he opens the door to 10 or so angry dudes that he ripped off. :D

That guys a first class ass.

• Members

'bout the rich kid thing.............................

I have personal experience! A kid I grew up with who is also a musician asked to borrow a Traynor 2x15 cabinet I owned (mind you, my family is dirt poor and barely making it)(this was back in the mid 70's)! I lived 3 blocks away and literally carried that damn heavy thing on my head! Here it is 2006 and I've yet to ever see the cabinet again! Thing is, his parents are well off and he always had the best of music gear! I'm talking Gibson Les Pauls, SG's, Marshall Stacks, etc! In addition, he has a fully equipped studio!

The bastage!:mad:

• Members

As promised... here's a copy of the theif's "blackmail email" to one of the bands on myspace. I guess nobody told him that blackmail is another felony...

----

----------------- Original Message -----------------

Date: Apr 13, 2006 6:51 PM

we'll give you the stuff we got with the pawned money and the left over cash back if no charges are pressed and the cops aren't involved. we'll disapere and you will never see us agian. if i am arrested. the stuff and the money will be confascated as evadence agianst me and you will never see it agian, and any fine i will recieve will never make it into your hands. because the equipment is not insured, you will never recieve anything if it is not handled this way. please respond.

• Members

As promised... here's a copy of the theif's "blackmail email" to one of the bands on myspace. I guess nobody told him that blackmail is another felony...

----

we'll give you the stuff we got with the pawned money and the left over cash back if no charges are pressed and the cops aren't involved. we'll disapere and you will never see us agian. if i am arrested. the stuff and the money will be confascated as evadence agianst me and you will never see it agian, and any fine i will recieve will never make it into your hands. because the equipment is not insured, you will never recieve anything if it is not handled this way. please respond.

It's Derek!

but seriously, rich boy is intensely stupid

• Members

----

The judge will love this. This dumbass is screwed.

Archived