12ers and 8 stringers, speak up!!

ToeJamFootball

• Members

My guitarist has a Hamer 12'ver that I've used a couple times. First off, get a good strap cause it's got neck dive like no tomorrow!:eek: He has the Korean version and it seems to play nice and sounds good. Tuning is a bitch and it doesn't stay in tune that great, but it could be the old strings on it. I wouldn't personally spend my money on one at this point, but they are fun to mess with. Helps to be able to play 'em with a pic too as finger style gets kinda muddy sounding at times. just my $.02

• Members

Mine:

8123tm.th.jpg

The 8 does not sound as thick, and having less strings you can't go as crazy with alternate tunings. However, playing an 8 is less of an adjustment to make, and it is easier to play with fingers than a 12 is. In a pinch, you can play most anything on an 8 you can on a 4 (slap, tap, and crazy stuff not included) whereas just showing up to band practice one day with a 12 and playing the same songs you play on a 4 will result in chaos.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

I think I'm going to make a warmoth 8.

Where do you get strings for these kinds of things?

Yo.

Plenty of places that have 8 sets. GHS, D'Addario, most of the major manufacturers make at least one set.

Make sure that you get a well-balanced body, as the extra weight of the tuning machines can cause neck dive. I would also recommend guitar tuners for the octave strings to reduce the weight (as seen on the ESP above); you will need to specify this when you order the neck.

• Members

I've owned a Ric 4003S/8 and a Hagstrom H8. I loved the Ric but traded it off for a '57 P-bass reissue, and the Hag was a real pooch. It never stayed in tune, and sounded pretty puny.

I have a rainy day fund I add to every month so I can get another Ric 8er some time on the future.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

I've owned a Ric 4003S/8 and a Hagstrom H8. I loved the Ric but traded it off for a '57 P-bass reissue, and the Hag was a real pooch. It never stayed in tune, and sounded pretty puny.

I have a rainy day fund I add to every month so I can get another Ric 8er some time on the future.

Do they still make a 4003S/8? Or is that going to be ridiculously expensive?

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

Do they still make a 4003S/8? Or is that going to be ridiculously expensive?

They went out of production in the late '90s. I bought mine new from Mandolin Brothers in Manhattan in 1991. It ws $1500 back then. Riclenabcker might make a custom one-off, but i suspect it would cost a lot :(

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

They went out of production in the late '90s. I bought mine new from Mandolin Brothers in Manhattan in 1991. It ws $1500 back then. Riclenabcker might make a custom one-off, but i suspect it would cost a lot
:(

I thought so.

Edit: It would probably also take around a decade before it was finished...

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

I thought so.

Edit: It would probably also take around a decade before it was finished...

Ric doesn't do custom work, unless of course your name happens to be McCartney or Squire. The Ric 8 strings weren't all that hot. String spacing was a rather tight and there was no independent height and intonation adjustment on the saddles for the octave strings. Expect to pay a king's ransom if you can find one and for that kind of money you can get two or three good 8 stringers.

• Members

Originally posted by fealach

The 8 does not sound as thick, and having less strings you can't go as crazy with alternate tunings. However, playing an 8 is less of an adjustment to make, and it is easier to play with fingers than a 12 is. In a pinch, you can play most anything on an 8 you can on a 4 (slap, tap, and crazy stuff not included) whereas just showing up to band practice one day with a 12 and playing the same songs you play on a 4 will result in chaos.

Thanks for answering a question I have never asked. I heard of the 12 string years ago (I'm a Kings X fan) and just noticed 8's recently. I figured they were more managable & was kind of intrigued. Doubt I'll ever buy one, but I'd like to.

• Members

If you buy a good instrument. You'll probably have a lot more luck with a USA Hamer, Waterstone or Chandler. The Hamers will be most available, and I haven't gone wrong with any of the one's I've owned (and I've had 4) You want to stick with the newer dual trussrod models, unless you get a good older short-scale....but there's no way of knowing that without giving the bass a real good going over. ( truss rod nut screwed down how far? any compression of the wood behind it?).

They both sound great but they don't work on every song.... you have to spend time and figure out how to play them to make the most of their capabilities.

• Members

I have a Carlo Robelli USB-12B you can see it and hear a short sound clip of it on my website. It's nice for the money I spent on it, just over $200 used. It's got good string spacing for playing fingerstyle. It's the same model as the Galveston 12er.

I wish Rickenbacker would put an 8 string back into production. I finally got to play one a few weeks ago...I don't see what the fuss was all about, that people didn't like them, which led to discontinuing them. The one I tried was very nice!

• Members

I play Waterstone 12 string basses and really love them. On the one hand (no joke intended!) it really is like playing a regular bass, except you press three strings at a time instead of one. On the other, it really brings in new dimensions of how you play bass, ie letting notes ring out, playing 8th or 16th notes. A 12 string bass needs getting used to, but it makes a lot of noise (in a good way, like an "orchestra cranked through a stack of amps" to quote Tom petersson!). May not be the bass for you for slapping and popping, but for orchestrated bass lines, and if you just can't let go of playing that guitar and want people to think you are playing a guitar, get a 12 string bass! Even guitar players run, frightened of these things!!!

An 8 string bass can be REAL cool too, for the same reasons, just not as many strings! But when you see all those pegs on the head, look out! That ESP above looks amazing! I may get one of those, someday...

• Members

I have a schecter honey burst neck-thru 8 string stiletto with emg hz and a 18volt three band eq that sits well no neck dive with a cumfy neck that kicks butt it sounds great used it on are last cd. I just tuned it down to d for my rock project I run it thru a new Carvin b1500 thru avatar 410 and neo 212 it frikin rocks~!!!!!!!

• Members

For the money, the Dean Rhapsody 8-string is a great bass. Well built, good quality for the price. I use mine live, and it's a little heavy and has a little neck tilt, but nothing to be concerned with. Anyone that plays a Thunderbird wouldn't be fazed. It sounds really good, and is comfortable to play. I went with an 8 instead of a 12 because I play with my fingers and I couldn't get any speed going with a 12. The 8 works well with fingers. The sound of an 8 in a three piece band is huge, and I'm glad I added it.

Archived