jonathan_matos5

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by philthygeezer

FJ78.ute.jpg
yota_lcruzer_undrgrnd.jpg

These are the toughest trucks in the world.

I used them for about 6 years underground and some surface mining too. The second pic is of one when it's shiny and new. you should see them after 5 years! They last a long time in very harsh environments.

I wish they would sell a diesel version for everyday driving in Canada. I'd get one with a snorkel and a 5 speed. Aussies have all the fun.

I'd really have to issue a challenge in favor of the Unimog:

unimog%20036.jpg

Not much on comfort, but it's ALL truck!

• Members

Originally posted by the_big_geez

I'd really have to issue a challenge in favor of the Unimog:

unimog%20036.jpg

Not much on comfort, but it's ALL truck!

A good friend of mine is good friends with a guy that owns a couple of mountains (including Rooney Mountain, where the infamous RooneyFest used to be held) who's got a Unimog or two. No problem hauling stuff up and down, even in the middle of winter, and even if there's no road where he wants to go. Coolest looking things I've ever seen.

• Members

Yeah, there's not too many places a Mog won't go. They're awesome...

Currently my hauling duties are handled by my jeep and a bumper with integrated trailer hitch.

ef66ba91.jpg

This little trailer has paid for itself several times over already and I just got it this year.:thu:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Rusty the Scoob

Yeah, there's not too many places a Mog won't go. They're awesome...

Currently my hauling duties are handled by my jeep and a bumper with integrated trailer hitch.

ef66ba91.jpg

This little trailer has paid for itself several times over already and I just got it this year.
:thu:

There's a lot to be said for a small trailer. Provided (and this can be the deal-breaker) you've got someplace to park it, IMO trailers are indispensible. There are plenty that are small enough to be towed by almost any car yet can haul a complete bass or PA rig easily. If you've got a steady gig and an enclosed trailer, you've just cut your load-in/load-out work in half. The downside is the parking issue, both at home and at the gig....finding someplace to park in a typical downtown scenario is, to say the least, frustrating.

With gas prices continuing to rise, I think we'll be seeing more and more of 'em pulled by small cars or pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

There's a lot to be said for a small trailer. Provided (and this can be the deal-breaker) you've got someplace to park it, IMO trailers are indispensible. There are plenty that are small enough to be towed by almost any car yet can haul a complete bass or PA rig easily. If you've got a steady gig and an enclosed trailer, you've just cut your load-in/load-out work in half. The downside is the parking issue, both at home and at the gig....finding someplace to park in a typical downtown scenario is, to say the least, frustrating.

With gas prices continuing to rise, I think we'll be seeing more and more of 'em pulled by small cars or pickups.

Yeah, my old band that toured a lot pulled a trailer and never unloaded it except at gigs... I've always wanted to do it that way. Ironically I've never used this one for gear, that still rides in a station wagon. It's nice not having to be the one to bring the PA! And having small enough gear that both my gear and the keyboard player's can easily fit in a Jetta Wagon and still retain some visibility.:thu:

• Members

Scout: the ORIGINAL 'SUV'!
:thu:

Broncos came later...

Plus, they were made here in Springfield, OH, for a time, IIRC. I saw an incredibly well-restored Scout tonight, and was surprised-you're right about "never pristine."

Unfortunately, my truck plans didn't work out-I was originally planning to buy a '77 Ford F-150, but instead I picked up a project 1966 Thunderbird with a 428. Big difference, but the TBird won out for coolness.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Sorry.....the title goes to the Chevrolet/GMC Suburban.

Been out there since 1936.

There's a bit of a fine line there...

Several magazines honoring the centennial of the aoutomobile acknowledged the Scout as the first of that breed; operative word being. 'sport'. While it is true the Suburban has existed for a longer time, it has always been built on a full-size truck frame, and therefore lacks the inherent 'sportiness' of smaller vehicles such as the Scout and the Bronco.

Probably, certain Willys should be given their due as well.

• CMS Author

There's a bit of a fine line there...

Several magazines honoring the centennial of the aoutomobile acknowledged the Scout as the first of that breed; operative word being. 'sport'. While it is true the Suburban has existed for a longer time, it has always been built on a full-size truck frame, and therefore lacks the inherent 'sportiness' of smaller vehicles such as the Scout and the Bronco.

Probably, certain Willys should be given their due as well.

See, there's the difference....SUV is one thing, JEEP/ATV is another. The Suburban is the first SUV, the Willys is the first Jeep...the Scout and Bronco copied it, not the SUV.

• Members

Willys-Overland was making 4wd pickups and wagons in the 40s and 50s... not sure when the first 4wd Suburban came out. Of course Willys marketed all their stuff, even the first CJs as useful trucks... they didn't catch on to how fun they were for a really long time...

Archived