Heya dudes!!!! Remember me???!!

mr.pmslaney

• Members

I'm the guitarist that bought a bass a few weeks ago.

Anyways, things are slowly progressing and I almost don't sound like a guitar player trying to play the bass (yeah, right:p )!!

My question is: I need to put a anchor on my P bass. It seems like I'm getting the best righthanded comfort, tone and playablity plucking it very close to the bridge...very forgiving too, anyways, does that sound right to put a thumb anchor pretty far back???

Right now I put my thumb on top of the pickguard right above the lower/farthest back split of the pickups. Correct or decent anchor area??

resting my forearm a la gay wrist is outta the question- it's very uncomfortable.

• Members

Whatever is normal to you is normal. I tend to play farther back because I like a more aggressive tone...but try and do excersizes that make you move back and forth between the bridge and neck PU's. Some people like to install those anchors on their basses, and I did when I first started, but I soon learned that it just got in the way and learned to rest on the E string and play that way.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by D Aussie

yes.

Both.

If you feel weird with the 'gay wrist'
:rolleyes:
make for a longer strap.

I have one of them new fangled adjustable straps and I couldn't get it to feel right.:p

I have pretty long hands so it felt all scrunched up no matter what I did hanging my hand off of the body.

• Members

Then get an even longer strap.

Im with you.. when Im playing bass geetar, I dont like my pluckin' hand bent over.

So when I have a bass geetar on, the bass is foolishly low, but thats how I like my hands.

Not the same when i play geetar, I like them up really high.

Like my frilly pink panties

• Members

Originally posted by D Aussie

Then get an even longer strap.

Im with you.. when Im playing bass geetar, I dont like my pluckin' hand bent over.

So when I have a bass geetar on, the bass is foolishly low, but thats how I like my hands.

true dat! except I prefer baby blue panties

• Members

I would give it a little time before you decide where to put a thumb rest. i have been playing for a little under a year, and i have found that for the first couple weeks i liked playing by the neck, then i settled into playing real close to the bridge and now i spend most of my fime right over the bridge pickup.

let yourself get accustomed to playing fingerstyle for a while and fingure out where the best place for your thumb rest is.

or you could be like this guy and put a long thumb rest between your two pickups (yeah, i know you have a P bass, but you get the idea)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/warriorwoman/RGI005_AUDIOSLAVE_6.jpg

but what do i know, i'm just a newB

• Members

You should put the thumb rest wherever it is most comfortable for you. I use the P-bass pup as my thumb rest on my Franken-P. If I want a more aggresive tone, I rest on the J pup.

As for the bent-wrist thingy---yep, I'm guilty. I also wear my strap up fairly high, but not under my chin like some jazz wankers I've seen. It's much more comfy for me to rest my forearm on the body and do the limp wrist thing, particularlyfor a long rehearsal or gig. It seems to reduce muscle fatigue.

• Members

theres no real correct place to anchor. When I play my jazz bass, i put my thumb in several different spots. I anchor it on the neck pickup, the bridge pickup, the pickguard in front of the neck pickup and on the top of the neck where it joins the body. all these different spots provide a whole wide range of tones.

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

Whatever is normal to you is normal. I tend to play farther back because I like a more aggressive tone...but try and do excersizes that make you move back and forth between the bridge and neck PU's. Some people like to install those anchors on their basses, and I did when I first started, but I soon learned that it just got in the way and learned to rest on the E string and play that way.

Dan

Sounds a lot like me. For the longest time I only played on the neck because that felt the most comfortable to me. I ended up breaking that habit and now I'll play both off of the pup and the neck. It was a tough habit to break though and when I'm playing more complex stuff I do find myself reverting back to my old ways from time to time

• Members

Originally posted by Billy-B

Heya dudes!!!! Remember me???!!

Ummmmm.....no.

Billy-B

Heya Billy-B!!! You know that I know that there is a dick in every crowd and so I'll remember you!:thu:

Thanks you other dudes, really. :cool: The bass forum is pretty sweet- You (mostly :mad::( ) get along with guitar players pretty damn good...you BETTER!!!:D

:o

• Members

Originally posted by ModmanQ6

Before drilling any screw holes for a thumbrest, I would recommend using a suction cup and moving it around in different positions before committing... 2c...

Damn good idea! I'm reallly hooked in that area around the top, rear bend in the pickguard.

I will certainly be getting a little suction cup to try out different positions!!!:thu:

Archived