Thunderbroom

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm watching Oprah (yes...Oprah...
:rolleyes:
). Today's show is about minimum wage. Her main guest is the guy that did the McDonald's documentary. His latest is on minimum wage.

The show is parading out folks that are having a hell of a time making it on minimum wage. I feel for them, but don't know what the solution is. The mantra seems to be to raise the minimum wage, but no one will say a dollar amount.

there's an american comedian who lives here in Ireland called Des Bishop, he's from NY originally.

anyway, he had a tv show a couple of years ago called "Des Bishop's Work Experience" where he travelled around the country for about 2 months. he stayed in each location approx 2 weeks.

In each town he got a minimum wage job, and attempted to survive on the money he recieved from that alone, including paying for accomodation. it was very tough, and almost impossible at times.

the min wage here at the moment is

• Members
Originally posted by Tetrapod

"The distribution of incomes is not determined by productivity but by power relations and institutional arrangements of societies."

Not that I expect anyone to read it, but at least now my post count is one higher than it was.
;)

It's social science 101, although a lot of folks choose not to believe it. It would be a lot easier if every single person who makes good money does so solely because of their hard work, determination, and good decision making (and all poor people are that way because of their laziness and poor decision making) but it just isn't so.

I don't know what the answer to the minimum wage debate is. It's hard to feel bad for poor people when I deal with many of them and their lifestyles where I work, but I can't speak for all of them.

Anyway, here in the Twin Cities it's hard to find a job that doesn't pay at least nine bucks and hour.

• Members

Originally posted by lokidecat

To break it down further, how would you allocate $1200/month net.

Sure, okay. I'll even assume you've got a decent car to pay for, too.

If you've got no family to take care of, you find a roommate.

Rent: $300

Car: $250

Power: $60

Water: $30

Phone: $40

Gas (house): $40 (assuming you even use gas)

Gas (car): $80

Food: $200

Total: $1000

If you've got a family, you both work:

Rent: $600

Car: $500

Power: $120

Water: $60

Phone: $80

Gas (house): $80 (assuming you even use gas)

Gas (car): $160

Food: $400

Total: $2000

If you're a single parent, with a kid, you should be getting child support and so it's a non-issue. If you're a single parent without the kid, you probably {censored}ed up somewhere pretty big, so good luck with whatever.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Sure, okay. I'll even assume you've got a decent car to pay for, too.

If you've got no family to take care of, you find a roommate.

Rent: $300

Car: $250

Power: $60

Water: $30

Phone: $40

Gas (house): $40 (assuming you even use gas)

Gas (car): $80

Food: $200

Total: $1000

If you've got a family, you both work:

Rent: $600

Car: $500

Power: $120

Water: $60

Phone: $80

Gas (house): $80 (assuming you even use gas)

Gas (car): $160

Food: $400

Total: $2000

If you're a single parent, with a kid, you should be getting child support and so it's a non-issue. If you're a single parent without the kid, you probably {censored}ed up somewhere pretty big, so good luck with whatever.

Plus, to assume you are in the 25% tax bracket at that income level is a bit much. In actuality, you get it all back as a rebate from the IRS anyway. That check is how the poor can afford big screen TVs and whiskey by the barrel - forced saving account.

• Members
Originally posted by Darkstorm

I america with todays prices and apt rent rates min wage shuld be at least $9 an hour with no raises in prices. Those companies that cant or wont pay at least that need to just go out of bussiness imo.

How nice of you to put them (and their current employees) out on the street.:rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by zachoff

Aside from my first dishwashing "job" where I was paid under the table because I was 15 (lasted a full two weeks
:mad:
), I've never made minimum wage... Even at 16 working at Dairy Queen.

Seriously, if you're making minimum wage and are an adult with children, you've {censored}ed up.

Thats my current job. At the moment I'm getting paid

• Members
Originally posted by jbryant8159

I hope they tipped you well!

For future reference, at least in the States, most employees who are not covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union contract) are considered "at will" employees. The employer can cut you or you can leave for no good reason. A good situation if you have needed talents, not so if you like to goof around. It's much better to be a business owner over here. If not make sure you have skills that are hard to replace.

My skills are that I'm punctuall, hard working and friendly. The other guy that does my job however is 28 and gets the minimum wage fvor it - not a good position for him.

I think they tipped well. All the chefs and waitressess got a free drink (beer, coke, whatever) but because I worked untill midnight they forgot about me. :(

Good things about my job - I get my dinner made for me and my girlfriend says I have soft hands.

Bad things about my job - My bass says I have soft hands and it hurts like hell! I miss my callouses ...:cry: Also long hours suck as my friends just work 9-5 (if they work that is).

I can't wait for that 6 string bass/I-pod/new bike Im going to blow half my wages on! :D

• Members
Originally posted by Darkstorm

I america with todays prices and apt rent rates min wage shuld be at least $9 an hour with no raises in prices. Those companies that cant or wont pay at least that need to just go out of bussiness imo.

Too bad it's Australia and not America, but it'll still do fine. :D
com102.jpg

Archived