So why do people still paint pictures of Jesus as white?

BEAD

• Members

Originally posted by jbryant8159

What I don't understand is how there is no history of him between birth and the age of approximately 25-30 years of age. Also I don't understand how such a knowledgable man never seemed to do any of his own writings. Everything about the man is recalled (oft times in,,{ahem} quotetation) by a third party???

Actually there's stuff about him in the book as a child. Not as a teenager though.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I personally think Jesus was a real individual who had a charismatic approach towards people as an adult and a positive and loving outlook on life.

I also think he was probably the offspring of some wrongdoing between Mary and someone of the non-Jewish faith, which would help explain the "immaculate conception" concept. He was probably dark or olive skinned.

What I don't understand is how there is no history of him between birth and the age of approximately 25-30 years of age. Also I don't understand how such a knowledgable man never seemed to do any of his own writings. Everything about the man is recalled (oft times in,,{ahem} quotetation) by a third party???

He could well have been relatively illiterate, the majority of the population probably was in those days. And I don't doubt that he had a tremendous gift for public speaking. And as for records - they were poor folk, remember, I don't find that surprising, either. The Romans were pretty anal about counting, but they couldn't have visited every little nook in the hills.

• Members

What I don't understand is how there is no history of him between birth and the age of approximately 25-30 years of age.

Search some Indian/Hindu writtings around that time period. I just googled "Christ in India" and got all sorts of stuff...is it true?????? who knows, some say he was in the Americas (Mormon)

http://reluctant-messenger.com/issa.htm

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Fran da Man

Search some Indian/Hindu writtings around that time period. I just googled "Christ in India" and got all sorts of stuff...is it true?????? who knows, some say he was in the Americas (Mormon)

http://reluctant-messenger.com/issa.htm

Well, they only retired the Concorde a few years ago, so Dude coulda been jettin' all over.

• Members
Originally posted by Craigv

Well, they only retired the Concorde a few years ago, so Dude coulda been jettin' all
over

OK...this is where i draw the line. You're asking me to believe Jesus had that kinda scratch to book the Concorde for 20 some years!?!? well i guess he could have paid with 5 Fish and 5 loaves...hhhmmm :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by bholder

He could well have been relatively illiterate, the majority of the population probably was in those days.

The population of the Roman Empire was far more literate than most people think. Graphiti, for instance, shows a broad spectrum of socio-economic literacy...

For the Jewish community, literacy was actually relatively important, as Jewish males needed to memorize large sections of the Tanakh.

But I don't know why it would be suprising that only his years of ministry would be well detailed. Those were the years he had disciples to remember and record events, and those were the years that he was a person of prominence (in the case of Luke, who claims to have used multiple eye-witness reports).

I'm sure we could name hundreds of famous historical figures about whose lives we know a great deal, but about whose childhoods are almost entirely unknown...

It's rather more the rule than the exception, I would say...

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

The population of the Roman Empire was far more literate than most people think. Graphiti, for instance, shows a broad spectrum of socio-economic literacy...

For the Jewish community, literacy was actually relatively important, as Jewish males needed to memorize large sections of the Tanakh.

But I don't know why it would be suprising that only his years of ministry would be well detailed. Those were the years he had disciples to remember and record events, and those were the years that he was a person of prominence (in the case of Luke, who claims to have used multiple eye-witness reports).

I'm sure we could name hundreds of famous historical figures about whose lives we know a great deal, but about whose childhoods are almost entirely unknown...

It's rather more the rule than the exception, I would say...

jesus spoke aramaic...and i guess hebrew and perhaps a bit of roman.

regarding literacy...a lot of the people were held in suspense on legalistic matters by the priesthood...regarding either the law or its interpretation...a lot of 'barrack room' guidelines were circulating where manipulation, intimidation and domination were the objectives

so we get someone who comes to 'fulfil' the law...fill it up with the grace and mercy which can make laws...rules..then codified living with eagerness..

to argue with a lawyer you need to be a lawyer..to win you need to be the foundation and escence of the law...

one critic of a modern church system said..'.its like a minefield..and only the priests have the map'...Gerard W. Hughes..jesuit:)

• Members
Originally posted by KeysBear

I dunno what you all are talking about. I live in a Jewish neighborhood and the only dark skin I see around here is on the Mexican landscaper dudes.
:cool:

Ummm... maybe if you lived in the middle east ( like Jesus did) you would have a bit of a tan.

• Members
Originally posted by LO_RYDER

Ummm... maybe if you lived in the middle east ( like Jesus did) you would have a bit of a tan.

Heh, just kidding. I know it is possible that the Ethiopian Jews were indeed the lost tribe of Dan and I have worked with Israeli Jews who were quite dark. Yeah, the light European Jesus is probably not historically correct. I don't care how you paint Him - it's a spiritual thing. :cool:

Archived