So, I don't really play much bass...

u6crash

• Members

...I'm more of a guitar player, but will probably pick one up again just to be a little more rounded.

As inexperienced as I am with bass, would getting a five or six stringer complicate the matters more, or is it all just a matter of preference? Previously I've owned an Am. Standard Jazz bass and a Carvin bass kit. I liked the Jazz bass a little better, probably because I wasn't initially responsible for assembling it and setting the action, intonation, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

You must have at least one store near by that sells instruments. Just go down there and try all the basses you can get you hands on. You should be able to figure out what you prefer.

Nope. I live way out in the country. The nearest music store is over an hour away. I'm working third shift these days, so I'm generally asleep when the stores are open.

• Members

I'm a beginning bass player. Well, not yet, but I'm buying my first bass in November. I'm a pianist first and foremost, and until now I played guitar. I'm going to be studying jazz bass next year (alongside my classical composition/classical piano/music tech degree).

My first bass is going to be a 4-string Jazz. I feel this will be the best bass to learn on - sort of starting with the "basics", y'know? And my rock band isn't going to be heavy on the low end, so I don't need the low B for anything (yet). I will later acquire a second bass, either 5- or 6-string, for slap-, chord- and lead-style playing; and it'll probably be something different, maybe a P or P/J, or MM-style thing.

Just sharing my thoughts in case it helps. :)

Archived