Potential new bassist

SirTom

• Members

Hey people, I am a guitar player who might switch to bass. I live in an apartment though, so I think that any bass playing loud enough for me to hear is going to piss off the neighbors. I think I am going to to get one of those headphones amps with a input for music that GC/MF sells. Is any model particularly good?

I also will probably get a MIM fender jazz.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Members

Originally posted by Onkel Bob

Some smaller amps like the Ashdown Electric Blue or the Nemesis combos have headphone jacks. Something along those lines may be worth considering. Both of them have enough power to handle smaller band settings.

Thats a good point. Amps with headphone outs are good too and normally sound better. Although the Korg does come with effects and drum tracks. Not sure how important that is to him.

Dan

• Members

As long as you're reasonable with your volume, and consider the time, then playing with an actual amp in an apartment is perfectly fine. I've played my former rig (800 watts into a 4x10) in my apartment and never had a complaint. What I'd do is keep it quiet when it gets later and more people are home. But if it was the middle of the afternoon on a weekday and I happened to be home alone, I'd crank that bad boy up. And I'd never play loud after 10 p.m. since one of my neighbors had a young daughter.

So I recommend getting a small combo with a headphone out that mutes the speaker and maybe an aux in for something like a CD player.

• Members

Any bass multi effects processor will headphone jack. Thats ives you much more fun then any just headphone amp. Upper end zooms are my fave. But bass Pod, pandora, and such are also good choices. Small combos like Peavey minx are suitable for apt and coffee house type gigs etc.

• Members

Originally posted by SirTom

Hey people, I am a guitar player who might switch to bass. I live in an apartment though, so I think that any bass playing loud enough for me to hear is going to piss off the neighbors. I think I am going to to get one of those headphones amps with a input for music that GC/MF sells. Is any model particularly good?

I also will probably get a MIM fender jazz.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Right on, brother. That's how I started out. I played with a pick for 2 months before I decided to learn to play with my fingers. I'm glad i eventally dropped the pick. As for apartment livin', there are ways to ge around it. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

I own the Korg pandora PX4B and really like it.

Dan

I want wanna those, but they don't make them for just bass anymore. I'm thinken about getting the floor unit though...

My uncle had the new one and I think they sound great. For the price you get so much more than a standard headphone amp. Of course you could just a get a combo that has a headphone out on it. That way you have an amp to play with others.

• Members

Hey people, I am a guitar player who might switch to bass.

Hahaha! Viva le revolution! :D What makes you wanna switch?

I say get a solid combo with a headphone out. That way you can start jamming casually with mates much faster, and trust me, you'll want to do that. IMO the best way to learn to play bass is to do it with other people.

• Members

Originally posted by henre

Hahaha! Viva le revolution!
:D
What makes you wanna switch?

I say get a solid combo with a headphone out. That way you can start jamming casually with mates much faster, and trust me, you'll want to do that. IMO the best way to learn to play bass is to do it with other people.

Part of it is just wanting to learn another instrument (not that I am a guitar master). Another reason is trying to market myself to be in a good band. Even though I live in a decent sized metropolitan area, no one wants guitar players.

• Members

I'd say go weith the combo option.... effects are neato, and usually stay that way, as a novelty, when learning an instrument you should get used to how it sounds, plays, what causes different sounds..... Plus you can't jam with a headphone amp, so getting a combo would probably serve two purposes, to learn and to work.

• Members

Part of it is just wanting to learn another instrument (not that I am a guitar master). Another reason is trying to market myself to be in a good band. Even though I live in a decent sized metropolitan area, no one wants guitar players.

Right on, man :thu: . I started as a guitar player and was offered a gig as a bassist just because I was willing to switch. I have had a gig as a guitar player since then, but I soon found myself wanting to switch back. I have since dedicated myself solely to bass and haven't looked back since. There are so many more gigs for bass players because 1) there are fewer of us to pick from and 2) they are needed for pretty much every genre of music. I am a rock and roll guy too, but you can learn so much from sitting in with a jazz, pop, or R&B group. It really opens doors, creatively speaking.

Now, to be on topic. I live in an apt. also. My amp has no headphone jack so I play quietly and unplug at 10 PM. I have lived in the same place for 3 years and its never been a problem. As long as you don't crank your amp, you should be fine. Good luck!

• Members

I lived in an apartment for years and practiced daily -- the great thing about the bass is its easier to play unplugged and hear it and, thus no pissing off the neighbors. A solid state amp also lets you practice at some low volume with no issues.

MIM Jazz -- nice.

I am getting two new basses (I am a 15 year bassist who switched to guitar since 1999 and am now going back to bass!) Picking upa short scale SX for my kid and then either a Jazz or 5-string to compliment my Precision Special.

• Members

Your first point is very important. People underestimate how much they can improve by learning a second instrument. I started out on piano, and later on alto sax and later on guitar. I'm dropping the latter two now, because I have come to the realisation that, no matter how hard I practice, I will never master them 100% intuitively as I will piano; and that limits me from expressing myself effectively through those instruments. However, playing sax - a melody instrument - has taught me a hell of a lot about melody and phrasing and such. Not to mention orchestration. Guitar, conversely, has given me an alternate perspective on chord voicings and harmony in general, as well as vocal accompaniment. So all in all, I'm a more badass pianist because I've played a lot of instruments.

I'm swopping guitar and sax for bass now, though. I understand bass very well, as far as the mechanics and its role in a band go. And I've always wanted to play bass, since even before I started guitar.

And the coolest part: I'm going to Cape Town (capital of South Africa) next year to study music, including jazz bass. So I'm going to be gigging like a mother{censored}er! Making money what I love doing. :)

Archived