Jazz Ad!

Ace Of Bass

• Members

Sure. I can try at least.

Westone is a japanese brand. Nowadays they specialize in live audio but back in the 80s they were a huge middle market instrument manufacturer.

The Rail was a headless bass, all made of maple with rosewood fingerboard.

Bddy parts were linked by a metal rail that let you slide the electronics to modify tone.

It was a great concept, very efficient and straight to the point.

I modified mine with an EMG soapbar and it became a killer slapper/tapper bass.

Eventually I lost interest and sold it, I somewhat regret it.

rail.jpg

The Ibanez AFR was a high end model from early 90s. It sported many novelties.

As far as I know, the first bass to use monorail bridges (with Dtuner). It mixed piezo and magnetic pickup.

The shape was very odd, Ibanez used it again 10 years later for the EDA.

Walnut body, rock maple neck with ebony fretboard.

Tone was very bright and focused, great to play busy funky jazz lines.

I got it for very cheap, never really felt comfortable with it. The neck was very thin and flat and it missed oooomppph.

iba_rolf.jpg

Ohio was a cheap french brand from back in the 60s, started as manufactured series by luthier Jacobacci.

Birch body, aluminum neck with rosewood fretboard.

It sounded like {censored}, couldn't stay in tune and fretboard wanted to get rid of the neck. Still, it was very attaching. I got it for free and sold it a decent price for what it was.

01s.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Westone is a japanese brand. Nowadays they specialize in live audio but back in the 80s they were a huge middle market instrument manufacturer.

Bddy parts were linked by a metal rail that let you slide the electronics to modify tone.

rail.jpg

:eek:

Ye gods!

where can I get my hands on one of those?

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to type that.

I've always had a thing for those first two basses. I really liked the EDA's shape, but wasn't too impressed with the sound--certainly not a bad bass for the price, though.

I've always loved the looks of the rails, though I've never known anyone who owned one or could tell much about it. So, the body is maple as well? I always figured it would be some metal as well as the rails. Did you really move the PU around often, or did you just set it in one place and pretty much always leave it there? Looks like it has a few knobs on it--I'm guessing one volume and two to lock the position?

I'd never heard of an Ohio before. I own a Kramer aluminum neck, and absolutely love it--I was mostly curious if all Aluminum necked basses sounded that good. I guess not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

that was quick. thanks, but one more please. in that pic it looks like there's an extra knob where the jack was, with the jack on the opposite side of the volume knob.

if i'm seeing it right, what did you add, and did you like the change? thanks again.

• Members

rail.jpg

That thing is interesting. There's some more info on it here: http://www.westone.info/reviews/reviewrailbass.html

• Members

Westone is a japanese brand. Nowadays they specialize in live audio but back in the 80s they were a huge middle market

There was a Japanese manufacturer called Electra in the 70s that made some decent instruments including an OK Rick 4001 knock-off. They joined with Westone and, in the early 80s, were Electra/Westone and they made some pretty interesting guitars and basses--some with features that would be found on later instruments by bigger name manufacturers ( push/pull pots, etc). Electra-Westone and Westone basses are all very good instruments.......................

Archived