So I bought a Rickenbacker today on a whim.

justinbass

• Members
Originally posted by mlwarriner

i wish i could "buy a rickenbacker on a whim"...

:(

I feel I should explain...

I am not rich. at all. I normally survive on good deals, luck, and cheap gear. I've wanted a Rick for about ten years, when I first became aware of Yes's "Roundabout." I saw the pricetag today, and knew it was a better deal that I'd probably ever find elsewhere, so I spent money I shouldn't really be spending, knowing that it would save me money later. Down the line I'd probably end up spending $1200ish on one of these, and I'd accepted that fate.

I got REALLY lucky today. Apparently some poor soul sold that bass to guitar center for a lot less then they should have earlier TODAY, and I got there at the right time to snatch it up.

• Members

So I just got back from practice tonight.

First impressions. It sounds like a Ric. I love that sound. The E-string is a little lower in volume than the others, but that'll get fixed in a few minutes with a screwdriver and a pickup adjustment.

I am so completely used to playing my P that it is wierd to be playing another bass. I am slower and sloppier. This will take a few days to get used to. And the bridge pickup cover is covering up the place I normally pluck strings so I am now playing up higher, and the difference in string tention is apparent.

Bass sounds awesome. I am a happy man.

Real pics will hit the online tomorrow late afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by justinbass

First impressions. It sounds like a Ric. I love that sound. The E-string is a little lower in volume than the others, but that'll get fixed in a few minutes with a screwdriver and a pickup adjustment.

I am so completely used to playing my P that it is wierd to be playing another bass. I am slower and sloppier. This will take a few days to get used to. And the bridge pickup cover is covering up the place I normally pluck strings so I am now playing up higher, and the difference in string tention is apparent.

If you get tired of the bridge pick up cover being in your way and deceide to remove it (like most Rick owners do) here's a very nice aftermarket kit you may want to look at. Unfortunately, when you remove the pick up cover you're left with a hole around the pick up that's ugly. This kit will fix that. http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICBridgePUPlate.html

• Moderators
Originally posted by justinbass

So where are those pics?

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

How are you getting on with the body and neck?

I love the tone, but only like the bass. Neck feels great. The body is wierd. I don't know where to put my right hand. I am still getting used to this bass. It doesn't feel natural in my hands like my SX P/J does. And yes, for the record, I just said I prefer a SX to a Ric. Crazy, right? But the verdict is still out. I am going to invest more time before I throw in the towel.

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

It's quite a step up going from SX series basses to a Ric!

P and J bass bodys are so user friendly, they spoil you and it feels weird when you come to try anything else I feel.

i am just the opposite.

My Ric feels so comfortable to me where the P and J have alweays felt awkward.

even funnier is that for the 1st 10 years I was playing i had a 68P.

i never gel'ed with hte P

even to this day when i try them in stores they feel so bulky to me

• Members

I love mine for recording. I understand what you're saying about prefering the feel of a fender - I had a rick back when I was starting out and soon learned that you have play a rick on it's own terms. It doesn't like to be hammered. They're great instruments, but for me it will always be the alternative rather than the primary. ;)

• Moderators
Originally posted by bassman1956

I'm keeping an eye out for a dark blue with black trim, 4001 or 4003... There's one on the 'Bay right now, but I just don't believe it's worth $2200 as a rare model.
:rolleyes:

$2399. $2799 on Buy it Now, but no one has taken up that offer.

I have one, but mine has been modified. It has Alembic pickups and active electronics. Sounds great, but that lowers its value to collectors.

• Members
Originally posted by bnyswonger

I love mine for recording. I understand what you're saying about prefering the feel of a fender - I had a rick back when I was starting out and soon learned that you have play a rick on it's own terms. It doesn't like to be hammered. They're great instruments, but for me it will always be the alternative rather than the primary.
;)

but you're absolutely correct!! Rickenbackers do require a lighter touch in order to sound their best. Fenders on the other hand can and need to be played hard to get the best from them and that's not a bad thing.

Archived