Metallica or Pantera?

zesty brick

• Members

I like both, although my fondness for Metallica drops off after the black album. Metallica in the 80's = good. Metallica in the mid 90's to the present = not so good.

Dimebag absolutely smokes Kirk Hammett in the guitar playing arena though. Hammett isn't even half the player Dimebag was. I'd also take Vinnie Paul over Lars, mostly because Lars is a little douchebag.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love both bands but Metallica will always be in my top 5. They are the one's who got me into playing music and loving metal. And regardless of what the naysayers say they've yet to put out a weak album. Sure St. anger is probably not their best but when it's still better than probably 90% of the other metal albums out there at the time.

• Members

pantera all the way. although i do like metallica, i agree with what rockstarbassist said. pantera was more true to their fans than metallica and pantera would actually interact with their fans. metallica is just a three piece of whiney bitches ever since cliff burton died(God rest his soul). i would much rather hang out and party with pantera than metallica any day. i dont see how jason newsted took it all those years. i would have shoved a bass up lars ass after a couple of months.

• Members

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

Ouch.

Compared to Metallica, I just don't think they've influenced nearly as many bands.

Plus, I never liked them.

Pantera influences people with {censored}ing awesomeness.

Metallica influences people with lawsuits.

• Members
Originally posted by superiorparts

pantera all the way. although i do like metallica, i agree with what rockstarbassist said. pantera was more true to their fans than metallica and pantera would actually interact with their fans. metallica is just a three piece of whiney bitches ever since cliff burton died(God rest his soul). i would much rather hang out and party with pantera than metallica any day. i dont see how jason newsted took it all those years. i would have shoved a bass up lars ass after a couple of months.

Even today you read articles and {censored} about people who refer back to "Crazy days and nights on Ozzfest for the few years Pantera was on- I've never been more drunk in my entire life!!"

Pantera could've gone the commercial/corporate route like Metallica to get more radio play and become MTV-friendly, but that's never what they were about, and am damn proud to say I'm a huge fan of a band like that who could never even remotely be accused of selling out.
Hell those guys even talked {censored} about Metallica during shows after "Load" came out. Pretty awesome. :cool:

• Members

I love old Metallica, hate new Metallica, and am "meh" on Pantera. I'm not a huge metal fan, and Dime's "solid state no mids" buzzy sound just grates me. He was a fantastic player, and I was deeply saddened when he was murdered, but I still don't like listening to him.

• Members
Originally posted by The Ox

I love old Metallica, hate new Metallica, and am "meh" on Pantera. I'm not a huge metal fan, and Dime's "solid state no mids" buzzy sound just grates me. He was a fantastic player, and I was deeply saddened when he was murdered, but I still don't like listening to him.

Still say he pwns Kirk anyday though... ;)

Kirk's solos get pretty repetitious after a while, and that's why he reached for the wah pedal. Everything since "Black" has featured one since. I can't even imagine it w/out.

• Members
Originally posted by The Ox

I never liked Kirk's solos much anyways. Hell, I actually like it better when James (not Jaymz) would solo, like in "Nothing Else Matters." Not overly flashy, but very emotional & powerful.
:thu:

Actually it is "Jaymz"- that's how he spells it, in his {censored}ed up, alcohol and drug riddled mind! :D

I guess he and Larz wanted to seal the deal they were buddies for life and added a Z to their names... :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by J.

I like both, although my fondness for Metallica drops off after the black album. Metallica in the 80's = good. Metallica in the mid 90's to the present = not so good.

Dimebag absolutely smokes Kirk Hammett in the guitar playing arena though. Hammett isn't even half the player Dimebag was. I'd also take Vinnie Paul over Lars, mostly because Lars is a little douchebag.

No argument with any of that from me...

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by superiorparts

i dont see how jason newsted took it all those years. i would have shoved a bass up lars ass after a couple of months.

So, you missed the "Supernova" thing, I take it??? Turns out that Newsted is just as lame as the other members of Metallica ended up being - maybe even more so... Hell, he even cried like half a fag one night on that trainwreck of a "show"...

- georgestrings

• Members

Tough choice. Pantera didn't end up like Metallica though.

Still, I love both of them (of course, apart from post Black Album stuff... Load and Re-Load had a couple of good songs, St Anger was just argh).

Dimebag wiped the floor with Kirk in terms of guitar playing, and Vinnie is a thousand times the drummer Lars ever was.

• Members

i voted metalica because i know more songs by them.

i have far beyond driven by pantera and while it has some cool tunes on it it is too heavy and too angry for me.

neither band would be on my cant live without list btw..........

like some one else said, 2 different types of music, hard to say who is better.....

• Members

this is like whats better, a mercedes or BMW. How can you deny what Metallica did prior to the Black Album. BUt look at what Pantera was before Cowboys from Hell. BUt I grew up with Master of Puppets, so Metallica will always have a special place in my heart. But Pantera is right next to them.

• Members

Originally posted by obscuridad

this is like whats better, a mercedes or BMW. How can you deny what Metallica did prior to the Black Album. BUt look at what Pantera was before Cowboys from Hell. BUt I grew up with Master of Puppets, so Metallica will always have a special place in my heart. But Pantera is right next to them.

BMW > Mercedes, end of story. Mercedeses are pieces of {censored}s

• 1 month later...

Archived