2x10" vs 1x15"

Zeopold

• Members

Originally posted by bassgirl9

I have a 1X15 I have a 2X10 cab and as of today I have two 12"cabs. My preference is the 12s.

Ditto, but only Mesa or Bergs.

I also have a 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 rig and have found that the 1 x 15 gets buried by the 2 x 10. It does a good job of rounding out the low end but doesn't contribute to the overall volume. Most of the time, I just use the 2 x 10.

basses.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Zeopold

I'm thinking I might get a tighter punch with 2x10's

Does anyone here use this speaker configuration?

Tighter from 2x10s.. of course!

Many use this config.. its great.

However, one 2x10 box, much like one 15" is not enuf to compete with a real loud marshall stack.

• Members

Originally posted by D Aussie

Tighter from 2x10s.. of course!

Many use this config.. its great.

However, one 2x10 box, much like one 15" is not enuf to compete with a real loud marshall stack.

I beg to differ. The right design and either of the two options can do quite well. I'm not a fan of 10's, it takes an awefully big cab and lots of power to get the low end to rock, with a 15 you can get the top end to cut through with a lot of bass. At the rehearsal room there is a Basson 1X15 cab, it will put a Marshall to the test, and my Yorkville BM200 1X15 combo not only competes, but really fits well (only turned up to '5' it punches through) jamming with half stacks.

I'm actually a fan of 12's for bass, and will be looking into a 2X12 cab in the near future. 1X15 +2X10 (no tweeters) was my favorite setup that I used to have, but you really shouldn't need all that gear on most stages (have PA, will travel light)....

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

I used to own a 4x10 as well as a 2x10 and 1x15 and my favorite is 12's. I also dig a nice 2x15 cabinet, they aren't really boomy at all..very nice low end.

Dan

Yerp. :thu:

I'm thinking a 412 and a 215 for my rig. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by dragon9666

Without searching, who makes a 4x12 bass cab?

Aggie has one and Ampeg did have 'em.

:confused:

SWR did make one, ask L-1329. Had my Traynor sitting on top of it for a few hours.... Still like the Mesa 115+210 better, BUT, the SWR 412 was a good performer, and if I was looking for a single cab for schlepping, that would be it! Low B's no sweat, full range, good volume.

• Members

Originally posted by oldivor

The 412 = the highs and mids = guitar speakers

The 215 = lows = Kappa 15LFs

With my V-4B(highs and mids) and SVT(lows).

:evil:

That's awesome for your bedroom, but on stage what will you do?

Have the sound guy mic both cabs?

This is what's kept me from running two different outputs into a board, it just seems like too big of a hassle for a rock band.

• Members

Originally posted by chunkathalon

That's awesome for your bedroom, but on stage what will you do?

Have the sound guy mic both cabs?

This is what's kept me from running two different outputs into a board, it just seems like too big of a hassle for a rock band.

What I'll most likely have to do is mic the cabs and then mix them into one before the sound man gets it.

Archived