HDTV Content: My Wife Kicks Butt!

Thunderbroom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Take a look at the Sony XBR sets. Fabulous picture and very bright.

DLP sets have a good picture but I find they need a dark room for best visibility, that's why I prefer the Sony XBR.

Make sure that your set has a HD tuner built in, this might be more handy than you'd expect. In some areas, you might not be able to get CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX in HD through your cable carrier but you can catch the channels in crystal-clear with an antenna if you have an HD tuner built in (invaluable for football season...)

Try to get a TV that does 1080p for the future.

Just offering some advice, I studied this all when we bought our set last year and it took a while to compile what everything meant.

• Members

For the future you should be looking at 1080p. 1080i will give you about the best picture quality that anything will do currently, but 1080p is theoretically better. I say theoretically because the next generation of media are supposed to be in 1080p, but none of the mainstream stuff is yet. So if you plan on buying a lot of HD-DVDs or Blu-Rays (whichever wins out in the VHS vs. Beta battle of the 21st century) later on you should be looking at sets that do 1080p.

• Members

What's the benefit of multiple HDMI inputs?

I don't have an HDMI-capable DVD player (but it seems they can be had for cheap). Can't I just hook it up this way via HDMI:

DVD Player >> Comcast HD Tuner >> TV Input

I'm not sure I want to drop the extra cash for the 1080p at this point. We'll see what happens when we visit the showroom.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I'm not sure I want to drop the extra cash for the 1080p at this point. We'll see what happens when we visit the showroom.

Unless you have big plans for one of the HD Dvd formats, I wouldn't bother. They cost significantly more, and the format won't be widely available for 2+ years. The extra money it costs now can be put to use for those 2 years (*cough*newdvdplayerandsurroundsoundsystem*cough*) and will likely be half (or more) of the cost of a brand new panel in 2-3 years when prices drop...

• Members

Any reason for having multiple HDMI inputs?

Yes. :)

1. HD signal

2. Upconverting DVD player

Like you said, 1080i DVD players can be had for less than $100, and my Sony has a nice Cinema Progressive feature (I think mine was like $120) and I'm not kidding when I say it's as close to HD you can get without it being the actual HDTV feed.

Makes a WORLD of difference.

I A/B'd it against my Samsung DVD+VHS/R using Component inputs, and it wasn't even a contest.

It's very much worth it if you watch a lot of movies like me.

Also that's how I say choose which set to buy- some like my Hitachi perform better for movie-viewing, while the Sony 3LCD and SXRD are better for SD/HDTV signals.

SXRD's are the shiz-nite though...

Just saw they dropped the price to $2400 for a 50". If they were that much back in July, that's what I'd own right now. :) Nothing comes close, IMO.

• CMS Author

Any reason for having multiple HDMI inputs?

Yes, for multiple HDMI devices....HD cable converter and HD DVD player, for instance.

I can definitely recommend the Panasonic plasma units. I've got a 42" Viera and the picture is simply incredible. It was $2600 last winter, surely a good thousand less by now, and likely available in a 1080 format.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Yes, for multiple HDMI devices....HD cable converter and HD DVD player, for instance.

I can definitely recommend the Panasonic plasma units. I've got a 42" Viera and the picture is simply incredible. It was $2600 last winter, surely a good thousand less by now, and likely available in a 1080 format.

I think I saw those at C.C. for $1800 right now.

Plasmas are nice, but for the size I wanted, yeah- I'll take TWO Dingwalls thank you... ;)

• Members

I've got enough real estate in my living room to put this one:

Hitachi 65" CRT Projection HDTV

I really want to get a HUGE TV this time around. My current set is a 4:3 32" HDTV. The Hitachi only has one HDMI input though.

I'm hoping that this one is in stock somewhere when I go looking today because I really want to check it out. I've heard great things about the Panasonic plasmas as well.

• Members

I've got enough real estate in my living room to put this one:

Hitachi 65" CRT Projection HDTV

I really want to get a HUGE TV this time around. My current set is a 4:3 32" HDTV. The Hitachi only has one HDMI input though.

I'm hoping that this one is in stock somewhere when I go looking today because I really want to check it out. I've heard great things about the Panasonic plasmas as well.

That's a good TV. And a reason it's one of the top-rated sets on that website.

Catphish was right in the other thread where CRT's are still the sharpest picture and the size to dollar ratio is off the charts.

You'll like that TV. A lot. :)

• Members

Originally posted by RockStarBassist

Catphish was right in the other thread where CRT's are still the sharpest picture and the size to dollar ratio is off the charts.

You'll like that TV. A lot.
:)

What about the HDMI though?

I do plan to purchase one of those upscanning DVD players. My current player sucks big time.

• Members

You'll like that TV. A lot.
:)

I have 2 prjection 60" Mitsubishi VS-60111's that are several years old. They get 1080i res and still look amazing after all this time.

• Members

What about the HDMI though?

I do plan to purchase one of those upscanning DVD players. My current player sucks big time.

Depends on what you'll use it for like, in the next month or so.

I won't get an HD box yet because of lack of programming vs. equipment and programming costs. It'll probably be spring of 07.

However by that time, my receiver and speakers will need an upgrade, and I'll more than likely buy an HDMI-compatible receiver, which are on the market now and really don't cost that much to comparable systems. Then I'll just switch it from there.

I could do with one, though. I've read and seen that HDMI vs. Components on HD sources really isn't a world of difference like it is for DVDs, as like with any satellite or cable signal, it all depends on strength of source anyhow.

• Members

Originally posted by lug

I have 2 prjection 60" Mitsubishi VS-60111's that are several years old. They get 1080i res and still look amazing after all this time.

Yep. My singer/guitarist has an old 50" 4:3 (non HD) that as you said still looks killer, and the thing has to be almost 7 years old.

• Members

Told ya, didn't I??
;)

The 50" should be fine though. I'm not sure how much the 60" is, but as I posted before C.C. has the 50" on sale right now.

I agree, the 50" is fine. The sale is over now. I went to both CC and BB today. I've never owned a large TV and just want to go all out if I'm gonna do it.

There was absolutely no comparison in the eyes of my wife and I in regards to picture clarity.

• Members

I agree, the 50" is fine. The sale is over now. I went to both CC and BB today. I've never owned a large TV and just want to go all out if I'm gonna do it.

There was absolutely no comparison in the eyes of my wife and I in regards to picture clarity.

That's definitely a good buy then! Best you can get w/out going to a specialty store that'll charge you 10% just for walking in!

I go back sometimes when I'm in CC or BB and go "Ehhh, I could've afforded it, but..." :)

In 2 years I'll be making enough money to buy anything so this Hitachi will last me for that period at least, and then can go in the game room or something. :)

• Members

Not official.

I'm going to hunt for a deal. The normal price is $2999 which is almost twice what I was looking to spend.

BB said they would price match and set everything up for free (though I'll have to pay for shipping). I didn't talk with the sales folks at CC.

KK...I don't want to hang it on my wall though I'm going to have to purchase a stand for it.

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

You went projection? Picture can be great, though one of the attractions for me of the new HDs is wall mounting, not so easy with a 50" 200+lb monitor
:D

The picture is likely gorgeous though...

I've yet to see any 60"-ers wall mounted, but, hey, ya learn something new every day! ;)

And I think the SXRD's are LCOS actually, but could be mistaken.

• Members

I've yet to see any 60"-ers wall mounted, but, hey, ya learn something new every day!
;)

And I think the SXRD's are LCOS actually, but could be mistaken.

If it's a flat panel it can be wall mounted at that size. Very few people have flat panels that size though. The 58" panasonic plasma only weighs 135 pounds, and a standard wall mount can handle 185.

Looking at the specs though, it seems the projections aren't nearly as heavy as I thought. The only bar to wall mounting would be the depth of the panel, since they look about the same weight. Hrm, they've gotten lighter in the two years since I bought my plasma...

So Tbroom, you should totally mount the 60" :D

Archived