HDTV Content: My Wife Kicks Butt!

Thunderbroom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

Are you planning on a screen as well to sharpen the blacks, or just a wall?

I had enough room to get a projector.

Before I left for college years ago, we had an older NOS InFocus that was totally kickass.

I'd given a projector some thought when shopping for a new TV, but it was going to be for normal watching, not just movies/special events, so I went with the RP-LCD.

#1 bitch about projectors is the dust they pick up inside translate to bad spots on the screen- always bugged the crap outta me. I'm sure now they're easier to clean and access, but that one took about an hour round-trip to break it down, dust it, blow it out, reassemble, easy.

• Members
Originally posted by King Kashue

Are you planning on a screen as well to sharpen the blacks, or just a wall?

Screen. Haven't researched enough to know what to get yet, but I know they beat the crap out of a white wall. I'm going to convert a garage into a media room so I gots me lot's-o-space to play with. :D

• Members

My 2 cents on the HDMI question and the built in HD tuner someone deemed "necessary". We picked up a Sony built in HDTV about a year an a 1/2 ago and couldn't be happier with the picture.

HDMI. It carries the video signal AND the audio. In my case, due o our 6.1 DTS system not having HDMI, I used an AR component video cable from the dual PVR HD box the cable co. issued and an optical cable for audio to get the surround. Used the same for my Sony DVD player. Component gives a stellar picture, and when we compared to HDMI, I would dare say even better, in both digital and analog channels. You're basically paying for the all in one there with the audio and video send in one HDMI cable and less signal degradation if you have to run long lengths to your TV.

I would also suggest not paying the extra $ for a TV with a built in tuner. Esp if you're going to use HD service from cable or DirecTv where you're gonna need a converter box anyway. We're in the suburbs of NJ and the 100 mile antenna we still had in the attic wouldn't pull any OTA HD signals from NYC at all minus a few local PBS. The cost of said antenna/wire/signal enhancers,etc coupled with the extra cost for the built in rec. on the TV is not worth it IMO.

JR

• Members
Originally posted by JRoll

My 2 cents on the HDMI question and the built in HD tuner someone deemed "necessary". We picked up a Sony built in HDTV about a year an a 1/2 ago and couldn't be happier with the picture.

HDMI. It carries the video signal AND the audio. In my case, due o our 6.1 DTS system not having HDMI, I used an AR component video cable from the dual PVR HD box the cable co. issued and an optical cable for audio to get the surround. Used the same for my Sony DVD player. Component gives a stellar picture, and when we compared to HDMI, I would dare say even better, in both digital and analog channels. You're basically paying for the all in one there with the audio and video send in one HDMI cable and less signal degradation if you have to run long lengths to your TV.

I would also suggest not paying the extra $ for a TV with a built in tuner. Esp if you're going to use HD service from cable or DirecTv where you're gonna need a converter box anyway. We're in the suburbs of NJ and the 100 mile antenna we still had in the attic wouldn't pull any OTA HD signals from NYC at all minus a few local PBS. The cost of said antenna/wire/signal enhancers,etc coupled with the extra cost for the built in rec. on the TV is not worth it IMO.

JR

Interesting.

I A/B'd my Component vs. HDMI (turned off the sound, so video only) and I thought the HDMI smoked it.
Used the same input, ran the same DVD, and I much prefer the HDMI.

Now, that COULD be because I spent money on the nicest HDMI C.C. had, and my Components are the $30 THX-Monster ones... ;)

But yeah I had to run an optical cable to my receiver b/c my Hitachi only converts Dolby Digital, and not DTS, which I always have preferred.

And +1 on the non-built in tuner... Was a good idea a year or so back when OTA-HD broadcasts were more popular. Now that you can get an HD receiver for under a bill, no real reason to go that route.

Archived