Thunderbroom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BassDemon

My TV is normal CRT 29" Flat screen

It cost $1000 4 years ago

I won't spend any money on a new TV until there is something worthwhile watching.

Crap on a big screen is the same as crap on a small screen - just bigger.

I can't remember the last non-sports show I watched on my plasma...I don't have cable, and I don't watch TV. I do however have a a couple of DVDs....

• Members

I have a Sony 50" from two years ago. It's awesome.

It has one single problem: Black levels are not black enough. To watch dark scenes in not-dark room conditions, I have to put the set into torch mode.

The set has three picture modes: Vivid, Standard, and Pro. Pro mode is preferred and I've tweaked it to excellence. But since the rear-projection system of the time could not produce a truly dark black, I do occasionally have to go to Standard mode. And when the room's very bright I have to go Vivid.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

So how does the standard 4:3 tv look on a set like this? I'm assuming that I'll have black bars down the left and right hand sides of the screen.

Yes, bars on the side, but most panels will have a justification option among the aspect ratios, and you can expand it to fit the screen. A proper one (I've only seen a few without this) "stretches" the sides more than the center, so the distortion isn't terribly obvious. When I watch DVDs of TV Shows I use that option on mine, and it's great.

• Members

You'll soon tire of both the black bars and the distortion that ocurs when you eliminate those bars... and you'll find yourself seeking as much HD programming as possible (or 480p at worst).

I've gotten to the point that if there's no HD programming I want to watch, I simply turn the set off. My tolerance for NTSC pictures is gone.

So how does the standard 4:3 tv look on a set like this? I'm assuming that I'll have black bars down the left and right hand sides of the screen.

• Members

We have two LCD projection TVs at my house. a 42" Sony Vega with the HD tuner built in and a 55" Sony Grand Vega with the HD tuner built in and dual tuners. you can acutally watch two shows. side by side and toggle between them... its pretty sweet. And the HD programming is great. Football and hockey are rediculous to watch, you wont want to watch non HD sports after you get one

This is the 55 we have
new_sony_grand_vega_KDF-E55A20.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

You'll soon tire of both the black bars and the distortion that ocurs when you eliminate those bars... and you'll find yourself seeking as much HD programming as possible (or 480p at worst).

I've gotten to the point that if there's no HD programming I want to watch, I simply turn the set off. My tolerance for NTSC pictures is gone.

HD doesn't necessarily equal widescreen. Several of the HD/ED sports casts are still 4:3, much to my annoyance...

• Members

Originally posted by King Kashue

HD doesn't necessarily equal widescreen. Several of the HD/ED sports casts are still 4:3, much to my annoyance...

My DirecTV TiVo receiver and TV both make it to where I have no black bars on anything.

After a while you get used to the "stretched" picture of a 4:3 source like I have. No biggie and no black bars.

• Members
Originally posted by RockStarBassist

My DirecTV TiVo receiver and TV both make it to where I have no black bars on anything.

After a while you get used to the "stretched" picture of a 4:3 source like I have. No biggie and no black bars.

*cough*

Yes, bars on the side, but most panels will have a justification option among the aspect ratios, and you can expand it to fit the screen. A proper one (I've only seen a few without this) "stretches" the sides more than the center, so the distortion isn't terribly obvious. When I watch DVDs of TV Shows I use that option on mine, and it's great.

:p

• Members

That's not quite correct. HD content is, by definition, 16:9.

But you are right that HD channels don't always carry HD content. When you get 4:3 with the black bars, you're likely getting 480p - and sometimes worse.

• Members
Originally posted by MrsSvi

Hey T-Broom, did you get the TV?

We ended up buying one over the weekend!! Went to Best Buy and Circuit City.

We ended up getting the
Hitachi 55" LCD
from Best Buy. They had the best deal. Of course it wasn't in stock, so it won't be delivered until Friday.

I can't wait!!

That's the updated version of the 55" that I have. :)

You'll love it, trust me- especially when you get the bill and see how friggin' HUGE this TV is in real life!!

Total score! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by RockStarBassist

That's the updated version of the 55" that I have.
:)

You'll love it, trust me- especially when you get the bill and see how friggin' HUGE this TV is in real life!!

Total score!
:thu:

Woo! I'm glad we got such a great deal. Our living room is small, so it won't pay off just yet. But next year we're going to be looking for houses, so we'll have to make sure our new house is able to accompany that bad boy :D

• Members
Originally posted by MrsSvi

Woo! I'm glad we got such a great deal. Our living room is small, so it won't pay off just yet. But next year we're going to be looking for houses, so we'll have to make sure our new house is able to accompany that bad boy
:D

Yeah, like half of my new rent house is the living room, so I've got a pretty slick setup-
everyone gushes at that TV.
they just walk in, look at it and go, "Wow, that's a huge TV!"

"Sin City" has never looked so good!! :thu:

• Members

I'm still on the fence. I can get a GREAT deal on the 60" Sony; however, we wouldn't get it until after Christmas. I could buy it locally, but would end up paying considerably more.

:(

If it's the SXRD you're waiting for, a 60-incher at that, damn is it worth the wait!! :thu:

Archived