OT: Lyrics-- I can never find the word i'm looking for! :mad:

ryanstanley

• Members

is there some sort of website to help with this? i'm so bad with words.. my vocabulary is complete {censored}

thesauruses never work, because you have to search for a word to begin with... and i need something where i can just basically tell them the definition of the word i need, and they can tell me the word

is it possible that, even with the billions of words in the english language, the word i want doesn't exist? that just seems unbelievable.. that I could actually manage to find significant voids in the english language, about 50 times every time i try to write something

or maybe i'm just trying to say too much with one word, and i should cut back on all the metaphors and concept connection stuff :(

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

is there some sort of website to help with this? i'm so bad with words.. my vocabulary is complete {censored}

thesauruses never work, because you have to search for a word to begin with... and i need something where i can just basically tell them the definition of the word i need, and they can tell me the word

is it possible that, even with the billions of words in the english language, the word i want doesn't exist? that just seems unbelievable.. that I could actually manage to find significant voids in the english language, about 50 times every time i try to write something

or maybe i'm just trying to say too much with one word, and i should cut back on all the metaphors and concept connection stuff
:(

There are not billions of words in the english language.

..........smug

• Members

Originally posted by lug

There are not billions of words in the english language.

..........smug

English is the no-1 language in the world for words that have many different subtle meanings. So if you can write it in English, you won't be able to in any other languages.

Unless you are writing a song in Eskimish* about snow**

*Which doesn't exist

** they don't have that many words for snow.

• Members

Originally posted by JacieFB

Forest for the trees, man...

Don't try to wow them with the words...it's what the entire passage/verse/chorus or entire song is saying. Look at it from 1,000 feet instead of 2 feet.

hmmm... as obvious as it seems, i never really thought of it that way

im not sure how much that'll actually affect how i write though, because since im much more melodically inclined than lyrically, i tend to come up with a melody, rhythmic pattern and loose syllable sounds, then try to apply words to them.. and this wouldnt be hard if i just said random {censored}, but i want the song to be ABOUT something, damnit!

good point though! :thu: i'll try and apply it as best i can :o

• Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

hmmm... as obvious as it seems, i never really thought of it that way

im not sure how much that'll actually affect how i write though, because since im much more melodically inclined than lyrically, i tend to come up with a melody, rhythmic pattern and loose syllable sounds, then try to apply words to them.. and this wouldnt be hard if i just said random {censored}, but i want the song to be ABOUT something, damnit!

good point though!
:thu:
i'll try and apply it as best i can
:o

ha, i just realized that i basically just scat for a while then try to turn it into words. wierd!

• Members

Originally posted by Les_Izzmor

I can't find the right way, to tell her I love her

And still make the words rhyme with Sonja

That's Mrs. Rowka's name. Even spelled with a "j."

Best I could do was:

I love you Sonja

You know I wanna bone ya

You've never given me pneumonia

and you smell better than ammonia

Not very romantic, I know.

Archived