Blasphemy?

mlwarriner

• Members

so i went to the local bass-only shop today, just to see what he had, and maybe do some horse-trading.

auditioned my JAF bass through my GBE1200 and into the following cabinets:

Bergantino NV610

GK 410SBX and 115SBX

after a while of playing on both cab setups, and twiddling knobs as much as i cared to, i have to say i *gasp* prefer the GK's over the berg.

playing the same basslines, with the same volume settings, the GK's were louder, deeper and fuller to my ears than the berg.

do i need to get my ears checked? or just have them removed completely?

:D:D

consequently, as of monday, i'll be bringing home the GK cabs. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by mlwarriner

so i went to the local bass-only shop today, just to see what he had, and maybe do some horse-trading.

auditioned my JAF bass through my GBE1200 and into the following cabinets:

Bergantino NV610

GK 410SBX and 115SBX

after a while of playing on both cab setups, and twiddling knobs as much as i cared to, i have to say i *gasp* prefer the GK's over the berg.

playing the same basslines, with the same volume settings, the GK's were louder, deeper and fuller to my ears than the berg.

do i need to get my ears checked? or just have them removed completely?

:D

consequently, as of monday, i'll be bringing home the GK cabs.
;)

It was two against one! GK's don't fight fair!

• Members

Nothing wrong with that. Take a variety of high end speakers. Audiophile brands. You'll like some brands better then others sound wise. To include some that cost much less then some othersw by other brands. Gk has nice modern musical tone. Maybe not as "accurate" as berg, but perhaps more fun sound to you. Thats what matters. I like my $1,200 pair of Phase Tech speakers better then to top of line B&W's and Theils, for example. The b&W & Theil speakers are very nice, but likes the Phase Techs better. Congrats on taking next step to awareness of your sound likes.

• Members

I was amazed to find out that Jim Bergantino isn't even a bassplayer...I don't know, something doesn't sit right with me when a bass manufacturer doesn't play the instrument for which he or she is designing.

I'm sure his stuff sounds great, but GK isn't a slouch in the cabinet department...I really enjoyed their sound.

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by allan grossman

We established that when you said you didn't like GS112s

But serially, if it works for you, go for it.

you should check my response over there AG. i've never used Aggie GS112's, and i liked my GS212, but had impedance issues with it and my trace v6...

• Members

Originally posted by willsellout

I was amazed to find out that Jim Bergantino isn't even a bassplayer...I don't know, something doesn't sit right with me when a bass manufacturer doesn't play the instrument for which he or she is designing.

I'm sure his stuff sounds great, but GK isn't a slouch in the cabinet department...I really enjoyed their sound.

Dan

doesn't bother me. i know a bunch of the bassists he works with. Bergantino cabs are the best i've played through, that's why i own them.

but they may not be to Matt's ears, and that's cool.

and putting a 15 into the sound probably gave it very different tonal characteristics then 10s alone (even 6 of them).

i'm going to add a 15 to my rig. i'm looking expand the bottom some.

• Members

Originally posted by allan grossman

Damn. You're right. It wasn't you, it was sheepdog, goddammit.

My apologies
:)

no worries wiz. we all get old eventually...

they say the mind is the second thing to go, but i can't remember what they say is the first...

Archived