how to make people give a damn about your band

ryanstanley

• Members

we seem to be having problems with figuring this out

cause it seems to be the trend in our area, that even if a band is really good, nobody gives a {censored}. people just go to shows to go to shows and look cool, and just go to the same club every night. and bands never really form much of a real "fanbase" outside their friends....

but it seems that every once in a while, a band will just take off, and nobody even has a chance to see it happen. wtf is this? theyll have the same energy on stage, quality of recording, and level of professionalism as any other band in the area, but for some reason everyone just thinks of them as a "big deal"

so how do you accomplish this? does it just happen? have any of you ever been in "that" band? how did you get there?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ryanstanley

we seem to be having problems with figuring this out

cause it seems to be the trend in our area, that even if a band is really good, nobody gives a {censored}. people just go to shows to go to shows and look cool, and just go to the same club every night. and bands never really form much of a real "fanbase" outside their friends....

but it seems that every once in a while, a band will just take off, and nobody even has a chance to see it happen. wtf is this? theyll have the same energy on stage, quality of recording, and level of professionalism as any other band in the area, but for some reason everyone just thinks of them as a "big deal"

so how do you accomplish this? does it just happen? have any of you ever been in "that" band? how did you get there?

My previous band was 'that' band, I have no {censored}ing clue how it came about though. I guess a lot of it had to do with having some pretty sharp musicianship (especially for our age), and obviously good rapport between the members (we had all been friends beforehand) and just putting on an energetic live show that people seemed to respond too. Even then it didn't happen suddenly, it took over a year from when we first formed.

• Members
Originally posted by FreestyleIntruder

My previous band was 'that' band, I have no {censored}ing clue how it came about though. I guess a lot of it had to do with having some pretty sharp musicianship (especially for our age), and obviously good rapport between the members (we had all been friends beforehand) and just putting on an energetic live show that people seemed to respond too. Even then it didn't happen suddenly, it took over a year from when we first formed.

So what happened if it was "that" band?

• Members

Originally posted by B-Bottom

promote promote promote. Play places that cater towards your kind of music. Also play out of town so you can build a name for yourselves

seems simple enough, but would it actually work?

cause to be honest, even when i see a band from the area i think is badass, and even if i've seen their name plastered all over town, i tend to just go "well good for them" and get back to my normal life. i never have any real desire to go and see them, the only shows i'm willing to arse myself into going to are the bands that are actually in my normal rotation.

well maybe that's what i should be asking myself.

how do i get our band into peoples' normal rotation....

seems to me the only way of doing that is just being really good. and im already trying to do that as much as i can. well, {censored}! :mad:

• Members

The popular cover bands in our area have been around for a while, and they've found ways to really promote themselves professionally, and they know how to interact with the audience. My band is working on this too. We have the musicianship, but we need to get better at interacting with the audience and try to make our shows more memorable. We're going to start giving away stickers at our shows, and we'll likely make people "compete" for them. Plus, we've decided on a common clothing theme. We'll see how it goes...

Professional website

Professional demo/promotional kit

Professional fliers to post at venues you're playing

Network, network, network.

Don't forget that you always need to plug your band's name and website too. Make it as easy as possible for them to sign up for your mailing list too.

• Members

...theyll have the same energy on stage, quality of recording, and level of professionalism as any other band in the area...

Maybe to you, but not to their fans. Something is different about them - you need to figure out what that is.

You have to differentiate yourselves from the rest - in whatever way you can.

• Members

hmm

well thats a good point... now that i think about it, most of those bands DID have a pretty damn energetic live show

and a band i was in once was "that" band and it just seemed to happen, but we were really energetic.. but most of that came from the fact that everyone liked us, and we were having a good time. the fire just feuled itself i guess

damnit how the hell do i get back to that??? :mad:

• Members

drugs

Fast track to no lane.

Been there done that one...i won't waste my time with party type players, i don't mind if someone drinks or smokes some to get goin' just keep their posture about them and its cool. When it hinders (which it does for/to me personally) i won't bother for a second go at playing with them.

For me, when i get high...i stay as far away from playing music as i can. Just listening is alright.

• Members

For a cover band the main secret is to play what the people want to hear. Don't play what you think is cool or else you'll most likely be playing to an empty room. Put yourself in their shoes.

And above all, interact with the people both on stage and off stage. Goof around a little bit with them. Walk around while on break and talk to them, sit down with them, buy them drinks, dedicate songs to them, start a fan based email list to keep them connected to your band. If they feel connected to you and your bandmates they will come back and they will bring friends with them next time.

• Members

Originally posted by tapaugh

For a cover band the main secret is to play what the people want to hear. Don't play what you think is cool or else you'll most likely be playing to an empty room. Put yourself in their shoes.

And above all, interact with the people both on stage and off stage. Goof around a little bit with them.

dedicate songs to them

True enough. Plus, certain venues will suit certain bands better than others. IMO, draw is largely dependent on the venue, but you still have to keep them there.

Yep.

The ability to dedicate songs also means that you need to have a pretty large and somewhat diverse songlist.

• Members

What has been said above is all good advice. In addition, try to market yourselves to the college scene and try to work the college circuit in your state/area. This works very well to spread the word as many students visit different campuses during the weekends and can carry you to other places. Viral networking and a collegiate grass roots campaign can work wonders IMHO... :2c:

• Members

My last band, Dynarouge wasn't "that band" By a long shot. And it's a shame because we spent 20+ hours a week handbilling, sending out CDs, trying to get press. We got a half a page interview in the Calgary Sun and a full page in the FFWD magazine (big art magazine in Calgary) We played twice a week, hit the radio once- I think... had a website, we were on Download.com.... we toured, we did absolutely everything by the book on how to make yourself successful. We wrote powerful, meaningful Townes Van Zandt kind of tunes and had a warm comfortable stage presence. Everyone who heard us thought we were a smart, talented group. No one ever came to more than 2 gigs. Not even my own husband could bring himself to more than 3.

KillBillies on the other hand... well, I dont know. We have a pretty big following (for Calgary) and everything travels through word of mouth. I do absolutely no promotion other than maintaining our website and myspace account. I've never put up posters or sent out handbills, We've only just now finished our first CD (we've been playing too much to sit down and record one) So it's not like I've been mailing it out to everyone or anything. I made some calls to get us our first 5 gigs and everything else has simply fallen in our laps. I sum it all up to Right time, right place, right kind of music.

• Members

Originally posted by tapaugh

Not always true. My cover band-Bad Mattitude will be playing our last show this Saturday (so I can concentrate on originals!!) and for 3 years, we played what we thought was cool, stuff we wanted to play like a lot of Rush, Zep, Yes, Dixie Dregs, Stu Hamm, Dream Theater etc. By doing that, we put on a very good show every time because we loved what we're playing and that feeds to the audience. We've kept a huge following the whole time. Of course there's a few people we've run across in the 3 years that wanted to hear "Play That Funky Music" or "Brickhouse", but if we did that, we'd be remembered as one of about 30-40 bands in our town that play that song- I'd rather have my throat slit that play those songs again! Original music is pretty much the same thing, but a bit harder in the long run. You have to have that "it" factor. What the hell is "it", I'm not too sure, but if everyone knew, I guess we'd all be "that" band! Stick with it, and keep a great attitude on stage as well as present a super tight show and you're more than half-way there!

Mr. Matt

www.badmattitude.com

• Members

Really, it comes down to being honest with yourself and your bandmates. Is your band really that good? Is your music really that good? Does it have good hooks? Is it palatable for a lot of people? Does your vocalist suck (like it or not, they're probably the most important piece)?

From my experience, people tend to think their band is better than they really are. Rose colored glasses, man.

• Members

Originally posted by zachoff

Really, it comes down to being honest with yourself and your bandmates. Is your band really that good? Is your music really that good? Does it have good hooks? Is it palatable for a lot of people? Does your vocalist suck (like it or not, they're probably the most important piece)?

From my experience, people tend to think their band is better than they really are. Rose colored glasses, man.

and then, what do you do, if the answer to some of those is just "no"????

i see what you mean, but i see being honest with yourself as simply a way of knowing whether it's worth it to try at all. helps a lot more in the area of life than the area of musicianship

• Members

Originally posted by bassgirl9

I sum it all up to Right time, right place, right kind of music.

yeah, that's what im afraid of--- that we just don't have that. i love our music and i'm damn proud of it, and everybody seems to think we really have something... but it's just not catching on :(:cry:

• CMS Author

and then, what do you do, if the answer to some of those is just "no"????

i see what you mean, but i see being honest with yourself as simply a way of knowing whether it's worth it to try at all. helps a lot more in the area of
life
than the area of musicianship

If the answer is "no", then you know why your band isn't developing a following. You know what areas to improve. Whether or not you try at all depends on whether the flaws are something you can actually fix (for eaxample, if your lead singer sucks but you really like him, you may not be willing to boot him) or whether you are ok to just live with them.

• Members

Don't suck. Promotion and forcing yourself in front of people can only do so much. If people like you they'll talk about you, and that's the most important tool you can have, word of mouth will help you more then anything. Play a good amount of shows helps a bit as well. Internet promotion is a good start as well but doesn't really do much since everyone and their mother has a myspace page for their band.

Archived