Chris Cornell Quits Audioslave

Phantasm

• Members

I just got their music a few days ago. Some tracks are nice but overall I think Chris wasn't blending in. I liked the band's work, although there was a lot of really generic-sounding stuff too. Seems like the just didn't feed on eachother.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always wondered how Chris could stand Morello's stupid over the top solos. I pictured him gritting his teeth as Tom thought he was doing something really cool. Audioslave blew.

Yo.

Man... some of those solo's on Audioslave songs.... phew! I'd be walking past a radio somewhere with Audioslave playing and the solo would kick in, and it would be like - wow... THAT'S APPROPRIATE :rolleyes:

• Members

Man... some of those solo's on Audioslave songs.... phew! I'd be walking past a radio somewhere with Audioslave playing and the solo would kick in, and it would be like - wow... THAT'S APPROPRIATE
:rolleyes:

Most of them have nothing to do with the song at all. Horrible. It was cool the first few times, each time he did a solo it was new and different. Now it just seems like it's odd noise and not very cool sounding.

Also, in the linear notes he puts somthing like...All noises made with drums, guitar and vocals. What's the difference between a computer making a 2 octave up, wha, delayed sound than Morello and his 5 pedals plus overdubs and studio magic? If he made that {censored} with a acoustic guitar, then I'd be impressed.

Yo.

• Members

I'd put money on it being a Tom VS Chris. I always thought Morello was an asshole, or maybe it was just his stupid solos....hmm.

Yo.

I woulnd't put money on any of them.... There professonal musicians, they ALL have egos and are hard to work with. Not to mention the everpresent political element with some of those guys....

And I don't understand why people expect so much from these "supergroups." For the most part they are comprised of quasi washed up musicians who have already had there prime pass them by. Me personally I don't mind some Audioslave or Velvet Revolver songs.. I take em for what there worth and move on.

• Members

I woulnd't put money on any of them.... There professonal musicians, they ALL have egos and are hard to work with. Not to mention the everpresent political element with some of those guys....

And I don't understand why people expect so much from these "supergroups." For the most part they are comprised of quasi washed up musicians who have already had there prime pass them by. Me personally I don't mind some Audioslave or Velvet Revolver songs.. I take em for what there worth and move on.

Where in MI are you, G?

Yo.

• Members

+1

I liked RATM and soundgarden more than audioslave any day. AS wasn't bad, but it didn't have the appeal that I liked in the others.

I was excited to see the Rage guys do something different, because Renegades was a {censored}ing abomination, and Battle of L.A. was just rehashed {censored}. When they got with Cornell, I honestly expected something much more aggressive and awe inspiring than what we got. They got softer and more mainstream as time went on...

C7

• Members

I say I think Chris Cornell is too much of a creative genius to be in any band. The last Soundgarden album was probably some of the most creative {censored} in rock history. The soundgarden guys really couldn't keep up after that. Audioslave was probably Cornell missing being a frontman. They released three pretty good albums in a short time, while being a supergroup no one thought would amount to anything. It's commendable.

With that said, I am looking forward to another COrnell solo album. He should keep it solo from now on, but I would def like to see a SG reunion. He can definitely still keep up with it in the vocal range, their is just a different dynamic quality to his voice nowadays. I happen to like it. Has anyone heard the "UNplugged in Sweden" album??

• Members

I say I think Chris Cornell is too much of a creative genius to be in any band. The last Soundgarden album was probably some of the most creative {censored} in rock history. The soundgarden guys really couldn't keep up after that. Audioslave was probably Cornell missing being a frontman. They released three pretty good albums in a short time, while being a supergroup no one thought would amount to anything. It's commendable.

With that said, I am looking forward to another COrnell solo album. He should keep it solo from now on, but I would def like to see a SG reunion. He can definitely still keep up with it in the vocal range, their is just a different dynamic quality to his voice nowadays. I happen to like it. Has anyone heard the "UNplugged in Sweden" album??

Egads! ... you talk some tripe. :mad:

Have you seen the live stuff lately? Look it up on YouTube. Chris doing Jesus Christ Pose now? .... or Slaves and Bulldozers? I don't think so.

No one thought Audioslave would amount to anything? I certainly did. Even though I don't like the "style", I know alot of people who thought ". .hey, this could work..."

The Soundgarden guys couldn't keep up?? :D Is there a Cornell-worship alter in your basement?

• Members

I guess I'm the only one, but I am actually kinda sad about this. I thought their second album was a little boring, but overall I really liked them as a band.

I actually just pulled out RATM's debut album a few weeks back and remembered just how much it rocked. But at the same time I remembered how they just got progressively worse with everything they put out. Also remembered just how tiring Zach's political angry "singing" got rather quickly (oh my, he STILL doesn't like "the system"...*yawn*), and I thought "man, I am really glad those guys ended up getting a real singer!".

And I don't know if I'm really excited about the prospect of RATM making another album (all speculation at this point, I know). I'd love to hear another RATM album with the raw edge, funk and intensity of their first album, I really would. But given the band's history (every album sucks more than the previous one), I don't have much hope. And even if they do get that fire back, I would still have a hard time sitting through yet another album of Zach ranting "blabla system blabla culture blabla history blabla system blabla even more system"...

Who knows, maybe they will hit the studio and prove me wrong - I would love it if they did.

• Members

I should also add, since this is the bass forum, that Tim C's playing really went to another level with Audioslave that he just didn't have in RATM.

I agree. He transcended, in a way - compared to the RATM bass playing. I'm a big fan of his riff on Revelations (the song).

• Members

I really liked audioslave, and I think my appreciation for audioslave peaked this year. Back in 2001 I was like "oh no what are they doing!?" but it grew on me and grew on me... their first album is still my favourite, but I really like OOE and Revelations as well. I guess it took 'em 7 years to completely win me over, and then bam, they break up. :(

• Members

I say I think Chris Cornell is too much of a creative genius to be in any band. The last Soundgarden album was probably some of the most creative {censored} in rock history. The soundgarden guys really couldn't keep up after that.

Are you talking about this album? I really like Soundgarden, and I thought this album below was vastly underrated when it was released (still is vastly underrated IMO) - some really, REALLY cool and creative stuff on there. It rocks, and still have some surprising subtlety to it...always loved this album.

200px-Soundgarden-DownOnTheUpside.jpg

• Members

You've both failed Rock History 101

Asia IS the biggest disappointment in rock music history, barr none.

:love: Lug wins, as usual.

I liked Audioslave. Tim C played out of his mind good stuff, the drummer was solid and appropriately dynamic, Morello's stuff was at least different from the norm... nice to hear somebody using the instrument for something other than wank-off pentatonic licks, Chris's voice is of course amazing, and most of the songwriting is very good.

Archived