Chris Cornell Quits Audioslave

Phantasm

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Are you talking about this album? I really like Soundgarden, and I thought this album below was vastly underrated when it was released (still is vastly underrated IMO) - some really, REALLY cool and creative stuff on there. It rocks, and still have some surprising subtlety to it...always loved this album.

200px-Soundgarden-DownOnTheUpside.jpg

Yes "Down On The Upside" was what I was talking about.

To the other guy, I didn't think Audioslave wouldN'T amount to anything. I remember going to check them out at Lolapalooza when they were new, and I already liked a lot of the songs. I'm just saying that not a lot of people expected a supergroup like that to stick together for as long as they did (three albums in 4 years).

When Audioslave was touring for their first two albums Cornell's live voice was {censored}. But, recently it has gotten a lot better. You should try to get your hands on this unplugged show he did in Sweden. They don't necessarily have to do the songs you mentioned (although when I saw Audioslave in 2005 they did a cover of Slaves and Bulldozers), but they have more than enough of a catalog to perform.

People seem to think that COrnell's voice is a whole lot different, and shot and what not, just because of what they see on youtube. His voice is still one of best in music now.

Lastly, CC wasn't that great live in the SOundgarden days anyway...

• Members

Soundgarden should get back together too. There's not enough guys named Kim playing white Guild S-1s in rock music today.

Soundgarden was the {censored}... They need a reunion. Big time.

I like the "irreconcilable differences" part- I'd quit too if I was around Tom Morello all day and him saying "Hey, hey, hey, hey, Hey, HEY, hey, hey, hey Chris- did you know I went to Harvard?"

• Members

Why does everyone think that Tom is a jerk?

Not that I would really know better... But I heard him do a commentary on the Cochise video (on the Directors' Label dvd set - awesome btw!), and he seemed very friendly with a good sense of humor. Judging from those 4 minutes of monologue, he seemed liked an incredibly easy going guy. :confused: As for his "weird sound solos", yeah, I guess they do get a little tiring. But his riffs and "normal" solos more than make up for it in my opinion.

• Members

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! About time.

Soundgarden was brilliant. RATM was badass. Audioslave was boring.

That's pretty much the summary of my personal opinion. Even Euphoria Morning had some great stuff on it, I'd rather see Chris make a lot more solo albums, even if he goes softer over time, than see Audioslave continue.

It really disturbed me to see those four people, who had previously comprised such intensely creative and original bands, do something so contrived and commerical. Though I have to say I did dig some of the bass tones C got on the first album.

• Members

The #1 enemy against band longevity is musicians' egos. Eventually, some asshole musician thinks his creativity is being stifled by the band and ventures off to do a solo project, which almost always sucks. 99.9% of all solo projects are far worse than what the musician was doing before in a band.

• Members

I guess I'm the only one, but I am actually kinda sad about this. I thought their second album was a little boring, but overall I really liked them as a band.

I actually just pulled out RATM's debut album a few weeks back and remembered just how much it rocked. But at the same time I remembered how they just got progressively worse with everything they put out. Also remembered just how tiring Zach's political angry "singing" got rather quickly (oh my, he STILL doesn't like "the system"...*yawn*), and I thought "man, I am really glad those guys ended up getting a real singer!".

And I don't know if I'm really excited about the prospect of RATM making another album (all speculation at this point, I know). I'd love to hear another RATM album with the raw edge, funk and intensity of their first album, I really would. But given the band's history (every album sucks more than the previous one), I don't have much hope. And even if they do get that fire back, I would still have a hard time sitting through yet another album of Zach ranting "blabla system blabla culture blabla history blabla system blabla even more system"...

Who knows, maybe they will hit the studio and prove me wrong - I would love it if they did.

No, you're not the only one. I tought Audioslave was a great band, and it was such a change of pace to hear a band that Rocked, and had melody.

If you notice, since the success of Audioslave, fewer hard rock bands feature rappers, a la Fred Durst, or Jonathan Davis style Screamers, and there are more singers fronting bands.

• Members

wish I could hear Brad, Tom, & Timmy C with Bon Scott on the mic

Much as I love Bon Scott, there are several problems with this scenario:

1) Bon died. So it would have to be Zombie Bon Scott. Unless you were willing to accept an uncomfortable silence as a vocal performance.

2) I don't think Bon would have cottoned much to the political stylings of Tom Morello. He probably would have idly wondered what "Sendero Luminoso" meant as he was smashing Tom's head in with his own guitar.

3) I don't think the boys would have recognized the genius behind such songs as "She's Got Balls" and "Crabsody in Blues".

Just my 2c.

• Members

Why does everyone think that Tom is a jerk?

I might guess that Timmy could have been part of the issues. His gear OCD and other 'eccentricities' may have pushed a normal guy, who's not used to dealing with nutbags, out.

2c (I guess with BPP, the pot's now up to 4c)

• Members

Audioslave's gone? Meh. Couldn't care less. I never really found their stuff all that interesting. More RATM, though? I got tired of their stuff after a while. It was interesting for a bit but has already grown old on me.

Me too. I can do without more songs about the system that dissed us. I'd like to see the three players stick together and go back to a funky aggressive style; I'd be more likely to buy an instrumental album with Morello, Wilk, and Cummerford than I would another album with Zach de la Rocha...

C7

• Members

Me too. I can do without more songs about the system that dissed us. I'd like to see the three players stick together and go back to a funky aggressive style; I'd be more likely to buy an instrumental album with Morello, Wilk, and Cummerford than I would another album with Zach de la Rocha...

C7

I disagree. Even if you don't agree with the politics, Zach had fantastic meter and was as much a part of the rhythm section of that band as were Brad or Tim. He provided great rhythmic counterpoint

• Members

I don't know why everyone blames Morello. If anything I would blame Chris Cornell- and he's my favorite singer. I mean, it's clear that Cornell wants to do things his way. I think he wanted to lead the band through some of the songwriting as well.

I loved Audioslave's first album- second and third albums weren't as good. I think Morello's guitar playing is awesome. People may not respect him now, but they will. He's really a pioneer. Atleat Morello can duplicate all of his sounds live very easily. Comparing Soundgarden "studio" to Soundgarden "live" is very upsetting. Cornell is much different on record then live.

Although I saw Audioslave live at MSG and I must say they kicked ass.

Archived