$2500 for a custom bass what would you get?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

i have an idea but its pretty broad for what i like.

i like any kind of maple for the finger/fret board.

for the body i like ash, alder, maple, mahogany, walnut.

so far you're all over the place with what the bass is gonna sound like

alder and ash are both pretty bright sounding, especially with a maple neck

mahogany is gonna be darker and warmer sounding (my prime choice for guitar body, not so much for bass)

walnut is kinda in between

all of these woods can and do sound good in the right context, but are VERY different sounding from one another

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
it is also true that that sound can be aquired by the bass that i have or any number of mass produced basses however i just like the idea of having a bass that nobody else has.

..so you can look like a dweeb playing whole notes on a hand carved bubinga topped spalted cherry uber bass while jamming at the local blues club? That just kinda spikes my cheese-meter.;)

Just get a bass that feels good and sounds good, get some theory books and your CD player and lock yourself in your bedroom for 4-6 months. :)

• Members
..so you can look like a dweeb playing whole notes on a hand carved bubinga topped spalted cherry uber bass while jamming at the local blues club? That just kinda spikes my cheese-meter.
;)

Just get a bass that feels good and sounds good, get some theory books and your CD player and lock yourself in your bedroom for 4-6 months.
:)

Ok this is exactly my point. How do you know how well JM5 plays? And you're going to judge him by the kind of music he chooses to play and the instrument in his hands? What kind of {censored}e is that? If he wants to play whole notes all day long on a Fodera what is the big issue, and why would you say he's a 'dweeb' for doing so? That's the attitude I am talking about, but in this case I think it reeks of jealosy. There is nothing more meaningful, musical, or empowering about playing well on a cheaper bass as compared to an expensive one, and anyone who thinks so is just as materialistic as what they are accusing other players. JM5 would love to have a nice bass, and when he gets one it is going to be rewarding to him, and you're opinion of that is meaningless and irrelevent. Call him a dweeb, but he'll still have a killer bass and will throughly enjoy the chance to own and play it. And you won't, which I think might be the real issue with those kind of comments.

• Moderators

IMO, the only time you look like a "dweeb" playing music is if you are playing something that doesn't support the rest of the band. You'd look dumber rocking 32nd notes on a Fender than whole notes on a custom bass if the music calls for whole notes.

I absolutely see the point you were making and completely agree with the advice given - get something that looks and feels good to you and get to the woodshed. I wouldn't recommend a bedroom, I'd recommend a rehearsal space with other musicians, but that's just my take on it. I don't practice to play in my bedroom so I rarely practice in my bedroom. :thu:

• Members

That will always be the case regarding tone, as that is not a function of price. There will always be a cheap bass somewhere that a player will sound good on, just as there will always be expensive bass that same player won't sound as good on. High end basses are not 100% driven by tone, and that is what some people have a problem understanding. Someone looking at customs may not find a bass they want to own from a factory, even if they like the tone of them. A recording/performing pro might view this differently, but there are those of us who will never reach that level who look at basses as more than simple tools of a job. I personally look for a bass that has top level construction and looks, but it still needs to be a good sounding and playable bass. This has led to a couple customs that I couldn't possibly be happier with, and it cost me a lot more than some factory basses that may sound better. The low B on a rumblefish smokes all my basses, but I wouldn't trade them for any amount of money. Sometimes aspects other than tone are what make a bass worth it's price, and for those looking for something they can't find a custom makes perfect sense, regardless of their skill level. I don't know why some players look down on expensive basses, or the people who play them as foolish or less serious players who could 'do the job' with a much cheaper factory bass.

very intersting post, which is very much how i feel when it comes to any instrument really

especially with guitars and basses, the individual instrument i think says a lot more than what brand or model something is (be cheapo, high end, or custom stuff) most of the time cheap instruments sound and feel cheap, and nicer ones sound and feel better...but every now and then i play something cheap that just blows me away, and sometimes i'll play something expensive that's just a dud...wood has a mind of it's own when you build an instrument out of it

i think MOST guitar/bass players could shop around and get something for under the $500 that would really let them do whatever they wanna do musically...beyond that you kinda get into diminishing returns (the point at which you spend more money, but the quality generally doesn't get THAT much better)

a high end or nice custom instrument should sound, feel, and look great...but that can definitely be found with stuff that's astonishingly less expensive...with custom stuff you can also have built EXACTLY what you want with no compromises, in a lot of cases there's really no substitute for that

• Members
..so you can look like a dweeb playing whole notes on a hand carved bubinga topped spalted cherry uber bass while jamming at the local blues club? That just kinda spikes my cheese-meter.
;)

This is why I always leave my Fender at home when I go jam at blues clubs and open stages. They know as soon as I pull out my Spector that I'm not a blues player, which makes it easier for them to write me off before I hit the stage and drop funk riffs all over the blues guitaros with Strats in their hands.:idea:
C7

• Members

Ok this is exactly my point. How do you know how well JM5 plays? And you're going to judge him by the kind of music he chooses to play and the instrument in his hands? What kind of {censored}e is that? If he wants to play whole notes all day long on a Fodera what is the big issue, and why would you say he's a 'dweeb' for doing so? That's the attitude I am talking about, but in this case I think it reeks of jealosy. There is nothing more meaningful, musical, or empowering about playing well on a cheaper bass as compared to an expensive one, and anyone who thinks so is just as materialistic as what they are accusing other players. JM5 would love to have a nice bass, and when he gets one it is going to be rewarding to him, and you're opinion of that is meaningless and irrelevent. Call him a dweeb, but he'll still have a killer bass and will throughly enjoy the chance to own and play it. And you won't, which I think might be the real issue with those kind of comments.

Well of course that's bull{censored}...believe me...you will look like a total asshat playing a custom bass while your right hand damping is the {censored}s and your musical knowledge is at the early stages.

People may not say anything to your face, but that feeling will definitely be there and you'll stick out..and not in a positive way. Maybe it's not like that where you live, maybe it's a regional thing...who knows...We're all living in this buy what you want, play what you want to and who cares what other people think kinda world...that's great..if you want to go down that road as a beginner then fine, but I'm pointing out that musicians who do this will be judged according to their ability.

• Members

I don't care what you buy. I'm just wondering why you would want a $2500 bass. What's it going to do for you that a $1200 or $600 bass won't do? I'm not hating; I'm just wondering what the fascination is with high-end basses. Maybe I just haven't played one that made me want to drop that kinda coin.

I agree with you 100%.

You're my hero.

• Members

Well of course that's bull{censored}...believe me...you will look like a total asshat playing a custom bass while your right hand damping is the {censored}s and your musical knowledge is at the early stages.

The only one who would look like an asshat is someone who sits back and rails on a player for the instrument they are playing. Besides, do you really think an audience gives a rats ass, or even has any clue what kind of bass a player has? Your way of thinking reflects poorly on you, not a beginner player with a nice bass. I still think you are showing more envy of a lessor player to you with a very nice high end bass, than you care about what impression another play makes. Believe me, no one cares about this stuff, Except bassist who think every other player should think like them. An audience couldn't give a {censored}e.

• Members

The only one who would look like an asshat is someone who sits back and rails on a player for the instrument they are playing. Besides, do you really think an audience gives a rats ass, or even has any clue what kind of bass a player has? Your way of thinking reflects poorly on you, not a beginner player with a nice bass. I still think you are showing more envy of a lessor player to you with a very nice high end bass, than you care about what impression another play makes. Believe me, no one cares about this stuff, Except bassist who think every other player should think like them. An audience couldn't give a {censored}e.

The only thing I'm thinking when I see a bass player playing an expensive bass poorly is whether or not I'm gonna rob him with a broken 40oz bottle as he's trying to load it in his car.

C7

• Members
i have an idea but its pretty broad for what i like.

i like any kind of maple for the finger/fret board.

for the body i like ash, alder, maple, mahogany, walnut.

i like humbuckers, soapbars, and j style pups.

and active and passive are both good by me and i prefer to have a switch so i can choose on the fly.

for neck i like a c shaped neck like on fender and im ok if its thicker like a pbass or thinner like a jazz my only real requirement is to not have a sticky finish on the back of the neck to slow me down because im already pretty slow
:lol:

i could have the company of my choice make a bass with just about any combonation of the above and id be totally in love with the bass.
:D

See, that's my point. With the combination of options you have right there, you've selected the entire catalog from some instrument companies. That's why you need to stop looking at big name instruments, and start playing anything you can get your hands on that has different options, so you can say "Wow, I like mahogany over ash" or "nickel wound strings are better for me than steel." Get some firsthand knowledge on the subject, and stop relying on all the opinions you get on this forum.

I'm not saying that owning an instrument of that price range is wrong, because if you want to shell out the money, go ahead. Personally, I guess I would fall into the "the bass is a tool that I used to get paid" category, so what I've got now works for me. But it's like buying a kid who just got his driver's license a Ferrari; sure, it's the same (generically speaking, of course) as a Ford, but the kid is going to have no freakin' clue on how to properly drive the thing, or know the difference.

• Members
bsr4MSQuiltedMaplefull.jpg

Buy THIS

Ken Smith released a neck-thru version of the BSR series and it is awesome. List is $3,400 (which is about $1,500 less then an Elite) and you can find them for under $3,000.00.

Smith is the most versatile bass made IMHO. They are ideal for working musicians and studio players who need a wide variety of tone. They are built like tanks and they don't go down in value. It is a great investment and worth every penny.

• Members

there's no law that says you can't buy a nice bass AND work to become a better player...it's always cool to see guys with nice and/or good sounding gear, but i judge my interest in a musician based on their playing

i'm generally not one to sit around and rip on other players tho, it took me a long time to be able to sound decent, and i more or less sucked for quite a few years...i may not be as interested to sit around listening to guys who can't play very well, but everyone starts somewhere

besides it's not just technical ability that's important, it's how well you can put it to use...i'd rather hear someone play simple/easy stuff with a nice groove and solid timing all day long, as opposed to someone who can stumble thru more fast/difficult stuff and sound sloppy (not saying that's always the case of course)

but when you're spending your own money, spend it on what makes you happy...not based on what other people will think of you

• Members

I wouldn't buy anything that expensive until I knew exactly what I wanted.

Think long and hard about where you'll be playing it most, and with whom:

Do you want a flashy bass that people can ooh-and-ahh over, or one that fades into the background looks-wise but plays and sounds like a dream.

Are you looking for a one-and-only bass, or just another one in a stable to do one job and do it extremely well?

Do you want it to cut through a loud band in a stadium or sound good with a blues trio?

Are you ready to commit to one style of bass, i.e. fretted/fretless, 4 string, 5 string, etc.

Are you looking for exotic materials like graphite that will never go out of tune or are you willing to deal with pure wood?

Archived