$2500 for a custom bass what would you get?

jonathan_matos5

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't get a custom. I'd probably get a nicer Spector or a Lakland.
The way I see it, buying a custom bass is like getting a purebred dog from a breeder. There are so many good dogs at the Dumb Friends League and languishing in pet stores that I can't bring myself to pay $700 for a puppy when I can adopt a dog for $50. You custom owners should be ashamed of yourselves, buying one-off basses when there are thousands upon thousands of basses on guitar shop walls that just want to be loved by someone.

:wave:
C7

• Members

but i dont know what darkstars sound like and i have never played a lecompte to know what the neck is like.

I can't speak of the Darkstar's since I've only heard clips on the net and read reviews, but I can offer something about the necks. The nut width on mine, five strings at least, are 1 7/8" with an 18mm spaced bridge. I would 'guess' that a four string would be around 1 5/8". The back profile is symetrical, and nice and thin without feeling like an old Kramer or Jackson thin. To me it is as thin and comfy as it needs to be. Probably similar to a jazz bass, definitly thinner than a P. The fingerboard has a faiirly large radius. It's more to the flat side than a fender, but as a whole the neck playability is superb, and is the #1 reason I had him build a fretless for me. I need all the help I can get sans frets, and this is the best neck I've ever played. Also, construction wise it feels really, really solid. I think that the best feature of either bass is the quality of the necks. My necks haven't moved at all, and they both were shipped from Houston up to Chicago, and are in the middle of the most dry drastic weather possible. If you like a fatter, thicker neck these might not be for you, but if not you will probably love it.

• Members

I can't speak of the Darkstar's since I've only heard clips on the net and read reviews, but I can offer something about the necks. The nut width on mine, five strings at least, are 1 7/8" with an 18mm spaced bridge. I would 'guess' that a four string would be around 1 5/8". The back profile is symetrical, and nice and thin without feeling like an old Kramer or Jackson thin. To me it is as thin and comfy as it needs to be. Probably similar to a jazz bass, definitly thinner than a P. The fingerboard has a faiirly large radius. It's more to the flat side than a fender, but as a whole the neck playability is superb, and is the #1 reason I had him build a fretless for me. I need all the help I can get sans frets, and this is the best neck I've ever played. Also, construction wise it feels really, really solid. I think that the best feature of either bass is the quality of the necks. My necks haven't moved at all, and they both were shipped from Houston up to Chicago, and are in the middle of the most dry drastic weather possible. If you like a fatter, thicker neck these might not be for you, but if not you will probably love it.

thanks for the info i like a thin fast neck:love:

all i have to do now is play all of the basses i can get my grubby hands on between now and when i have money to purchase:D and listen to the clips of the darkstars to decide if i like them or not.

• Members

Hmmm...
From reading the thread, it apprears to me that you desparately need to get out and get experience on a lot more different gear before throwing such a chunk of change at this.
Personally, focus on your art and your craft while making efforts to seek out all the options available to see what works for your, and more importantly, what doesn't...so you can whittle down your options.

• Members
thanks for the info i like a thin fast neck:love:

all i have to do now is play all of the basses i can get my grubby hands on between now and when i have money to purchase:D and listen to the clips of the darkstars to decide if i like them or not.

Try to take note of what you like about each bass, and what they're made out of, type of pickups, woods, electronics etc. Soon you'll start to see trends about the ones you like, and the ones you don't. Such as you favorite basses might all have mahogany bodies, maple necks, or you'll find you like basses that are passive only etc. Then when you start to spec out your own you'll have an idea of what will work best for you. Still, there are no guarantees but you'll definitly be in the right ballpark. Until a bass is built no one, including it's maker, will know for sure how it will sound. On the other hand no two production basses will sound exactly the same either, so don't worry about it. Stick to it and don't let the nay sayers deter you from a custom of some sort, it's a great way to get a bass that is unique and special to you, more than anything that comes off the shelf. :cool:

• Members
Just wait 'till you're up here next month! You'll sample so many good basses, and walk away with such a baaaaadt case of gas. But, you'll have a much better idea of what's what.
;)

+1!!!
The HCBF meets are the BEST places to try out bass/amp/cab combinations. Out or the store and in the home. Plus the variety of mfgs. :thu:

• Members
Try to take note of what you like about each bass, and what they're made out of, type of pickups, woods, electronics etc. Soon you'll start to see trends about the ones you like, and the ones you don't. Such as you favorite basses might all have mahogany bodies, maple necks, or you'll find you like basses that are passive only etc. Then when you start to spec out your own you'll have an idea of what will work best for you. Still, there are no guarantees but you'll definitly be in the right ballpark. Until a bass is built no one, including it's maker, will know for sure how it will sound. On the other hand no two production basses will sound exactly the same either, so don't worry about it. Stick to it and don't let the nay sayers deter you from a custom of some sort, it's a great way to get a bass that is unique and special to you, more than anything that comes off the shelf.
:cool:

i have an idea but its pretty broad for what i like.

i like any kind of maple for the finger/fret board.
for the body i like ash, alder, maple, mahogany, walnut.
i like humbuckers, soapbars, and j style pups.
and active and passive are both good by me and i prefer to have a switch so i can choose on the fly.
for neck i like a c shaped neck like on fender and im ok if its thicker like a pbass or thinner like a jazz my only real requirement is to not have a sticky finish on the back of the neck to slow me down because im already pretty slow :lol:

i could have the company of my choice make a bass with just about any combonation of the above and id be totally in love with the bass.:D

• Members

What would I get? Half my pickup paid off. . . .or a down-payment on a new roof for the house. Yeah, I know, no fun. This adult stuff can be overrated at times.

I don't think I'd buy anything other than what I've got or am in the process of getting, but then I've already spent plenty on gear, probably well over ten grand total.

• Members

Why do you want a bass that costs $2500?

Inspired question. I was cured of the $2500.00 bass after I went to Bass NW and looked, held and played a few big dollar basses. It seemed to me I could do as well (in the tone department, anyway) with something costing a lot less.

Billy-B

• Members

Inspired question. I was cured of the $2500.00 bass after I went to Bass NW and looked, held and played a few big dollar basses. It seemed to me I could do as well (in the tone department, anyway) with something costing a lot less.

Billy-B

That will always be the case regarding tone, as that is not a function of price. There will always be a cheap bass somewhere that a player will sound good on, just as there will always be expensive bass that same player won't sound as good on. High end basses are not 100% driven by tone, and that is what some people have a problem understanding. Someone looking at customs may not find a bass they want to own from a factory, even if they like the tone of them. A recording/performing pro might view this differently, but there are those of us who will never reach that level who look at basses as more than simple tools of a job. I personally look for a bass that has top level construction and looks, but it still needs to be a good sounding and playable bass. This has led to a couple customs that I couldn't possibly be happier with, and it cost me a lot more than some factory basses that may sound better. The low B on a rumblefish smokes all my basses, but I wouldn't trade them for any amount of money. Sometimes aspects other than tone are what make a bass worth it's price, and for those looking for something they can't find a custom makes perfect sense, regardless of their skill level. I don't know why some players look down on expensive basses, or the people who play them as foolish or less serious players who could 'do the job' with a much cheaper factory bass.

• Members

That will always be the case regarding tone, as that is not a function of price. There will always be a cheap bass somewhere that a player will sound good on, just as there will always be expensive bass that same player won't sound as good on. High end basses are not 100% driven by tone, and that is what some people have a problem understanding. Someone looking at customs may not find a bass they want to own from a factory, even if they like the tone of them. A recording/performing pro might view this differently, but there are those of us who will never reach that level who look at basses as more than simple tools of a job. I personally look for a bass that has top level construction and looks, but it still needs to be a good sounding and playable bass. This has led to a couple customs that I couldn't possibly be happier with, and it cost me a lot more than some factory basses that may sound better. The low B on a rumblefish smokes all my basses, but I wouldn't trade them for any amount of money. Sometimes aspects other than tone are what make a bass worth it's price, and for those looking for something they can't find a custom makes perfect sense, regardless of their skill level. I don't know why some players look down on expensive basses, or the people who play them as foolish or less serious players who could 'do the job' with a much cheaper factory bass.

Points well taken, amigo. You hit the high end market right on the head.

Billy-B

Archived