Anybody use flats on a Ric?

Braun-Jovi

• Members

I suppose you'd put 85 octane gas in a Ferrari, too, wouldn't you?
:rolleyes:

;):D

No I would pull out the motor and put a hemi with all high performance internal parts in it then put a nitrous kit on it and use racing fuel to get a bigger octane boost.

we are talking different strings to get a different tone

not high performance sports cars. :thu:

• Members
No I would pull out the motor and put a hemi with all high performance internal parts in it then put a nitrous kit on it and use racing fuel to get a bigger octane boost.

we are talking different strings to get a different tone

not high performance sports cars.
:thu:

Well, I'm talking extended metaphors to show my personal tastes ;)

• Members

:thu:
that zip zip zip can ruin a song

if you are playing metal it dont matter that mutch but classic rock and R& B deserves a cleaner sound

well i dont like the zip either and play thomastik jazz rounds which are fine wire wraps..also i use a bddi which takes it out a bit on the eq

if flats were the answer everyone would be using them..

i dont play metal..more like jazz:cool:

• Members

well i dont like the zip either and play thomastik jazz rounds which are fine wire wraps..also i use a bddi which takes it out a bit on the eq

Sure I agree

all strings have a tonal difference, I really think the type of strings you use depends on what genre of music you are accustomed to playing.

would you agree with that?

• Members

I haven't had a set of flatwound strings on any bass since I bought a new 4001 in '81 that came with the factory installed flats. A couple of months ago I decided to try a set of D'Addario Chromes on my '75 4001FL. I really like them a lot. They are slightly brighter than most other flatwound strings. If I set the mute just right, I get a very convincing upright bass sound. Without the mute, I the tones of good old classic rock and R&B. Since the windings of flatwound strings are not open like roundwound strings, dirt and contaminants don't in them so easily, so they last longer than roundwound strings.

• Moderators

Flats are not the answer, but they are an answer. That's why people still use them.

Archived