Nintendo Wii

Thunderbroom

• Members

I told my wife that I want one for my birthday (4/1) and also the game "Play".

She's been unable to find one locally and said she found some online for $400. I didn't tell her "no"; I told her "hell no!".

Do any of you know where I can buy the console for $250?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just saw some at Best Buy(in Arlington Heights), but I'm not sure what the cost was. They were in stock, I do know that.

:cool:

I told my wife that I would locate one so that she doesn't have to worry about it. I'll have to keep my eyes/ears open.

• Members

I just got one off line... you just have to be patient. I ended up getting a package with a couplea games I woulda bought anyway, so it retails for almost exactly the price of the individual components.

Check this site out:

www.outtastock.com

Have your wife check there whenever she's online, and if one of the cheaper places have them, jump on it. A pain? Yes. Still don't know if the pain was worth it, since I haven't picked up my wii yet (I live in a sketchy appartment in Brooklyn, so i send expensive stuff to my gf, who lives out of town). again, paying more than $250 for the console alone is just silly.

Also, I'm in NYC... My little brother (in Indianapolis) has seen them at Target. Just go in fairly regularly. I heard toys'R'Us usually gets shipments in on weekends.

Hope that helps... I'd offer to score one from the Nintendo power store here, but that requires getting up around 5 am to wait in line.

• Members

Those things do look pretty damn cool. :thu:

However, I'm at least 5-7 years behind gaming technology, so it'll be awhile until I grab one. For reference, I just bought a PS2 a month ago. That was upgrading from a Nintendo 64... :eek:

On the other hand, I did buy the Grand Theft Auto pack (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas) and Madden 2007 so I think that'll keep me busy for awhile. San Andreas will probably take me over a year to beat at this rate... :D

• Members

I'm a few days away from getting a free 360 (plus two games and an extra controller)...sort of :D

$70 in ink an toner

$35 Books

$25 Travel wallet (that holds my passport, has pockets for both US and Foreign Currency, and fits in a front pants pocket).

And $40 in BS trial offers and stuff...But I got $80 in gift cards for doing those trial offers ($20 Circuit City, $30 Bed, Bath and Beyond, $20 Mobil/Exxon, $10 Barnes & Noble)...

Now, my math isn't great, but spending $40 to get $80, and spending $170 (on mostly stuff I needed anyhoo) to get $650 worth of stuff are both decent deals :D

I've not played the Wii though. Everyone I know who has one absolutely loves it...

And finally:

TOPICAL WEBCOMIC MAN STRIKES AGAIN!!! THRICE AGAIN!!!

20061113.jpg

20061129.jpg

20061215.jpg

• Members

Do what I did.

I just got a Gamecube for 30 quid. I'll wait till the next generation of stuff comes out, and I'll get a Wii for about the same :D

I don't care that I'm not up-to-date with my gaming! I do care I get stuff for a fraction of the price that all those other saps paid for it when it was brand new. Video game consoles have a horrendous resale value and depreciate immensely. I'm not about to blow 425 pounds on a PS3 (I got my Ibanez BTB for only 25 quid more than that).

I suggest you at least wait until the prices start going down.

• Members

Do what I did.

I just got a Gamecube for 30 quid. I'll wait till the
next
generation of stuff comes out, and I'll get a Wii for about the same
:D

I don't care that I'm not up-to-date with my gaming! I do care I get stuff for a fraction of the price that all those other saps paid for it when it was brand new. Video game consoles have a horrendous resale value and depreciate immensely. I'm not about to blow 425 pounds on a PS3 (I got my Ibanez BTB for only 25 quid more than that).

I do the same with PC gaming, and indeed with my PC hardware. I'd rather be behind in the latest trends and save some money for beer :D

• Members

not for nothing, T, but with all you got going on - school, theory class, band, modding, family... - where will you find time to videogame??
:freak:

Family + Wii = Fun!!!

My kids are more excited than I am that "Dad's gonna get a Wii". I've been getting music stuff for years now.

;)

• Members

Do what I did.

I just got a Gamecube for 30 quid. I'll wait till the
next
generation of stuff comes out, and I'll get a Wii for about the same
:D

FWIW, the wii is backwards compatable, and has four slots for gamecube controllers and a GC memory card. It's essentially two systems in one :cool:

I had a gamecube, but I sold it in anticipation of the wii. I kept the games, tho.

• Members

She's been unable to find one locally and said she found some online for $400. I didn't tell her "no"; I told her "hell no!".

These are in higher demand than the PS3 for the moment. I was told by a couple friends at various game stores that Nintendo is making sure Japan is covered first. Then we'll get ours.. so until then just ask them if you can buy the floor model from them at the full sale price, they might go for that.

• Members

Just keep an eye out. Stores are getting shipments, but they're few and far between. I picked one up at a local video game shop just by happening to walk in at the right time. The "Wii Play" game also comes with an extra remote. Pick up one of the classic controllers too, so you can download games from the Virtual Console and play them. :) I have Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario World.

• Members

These are in higher demand than the PS3 for the moment.

Yep...

When someone mentioned that in an interview, one of the High Muckity-Mucks at Sony claimed "If you can find a PS3 on the shelves, I'll give you $1200 for it"...

And last time for the thread:

TOPICAL WEBCOMIC MAN STRIKES AGAIN!!!

20070210.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got one at Toys R' Us this morning before band rehearsal.

I got there when they opened at 10am and got the next to last one. While in line, the guy behind me and I started talking about stuff. He said I looked familiar. I mentioned that I was in a band. That's when he said that he saw us at the conference we played last month in a town about 35-40 miles away.

Small world.

• Members

Target, Toys R Us, best buy, EB games,walmart, fye,ciruit city, radio shack on line only, Kay be toys

not to many places

• Members

Yeah it was a bear trying to find mine. I work next door to a best buy and i literally checked EVERY MORNING for about 2 weeks. Of course when I got my first day off, they got them in, and when I made it over to check around 11 they were sold out!!!!

I just ended up buying my friend's so he could have more money for vacation.

• Members

Did you find a copy of Wii Play? Sold out everywhere around here still. I've got three controllers (FINALLY. If you see a controller, buy it while you can, they're freaking rarer than the Wiis. Nunchuks too)... I don't want to buy the 4th controller because I'll get a free one with Wii Play... but I'm getting kinda sick of waiting for it to appear in stock at places!

If your kids will be playing, the controller gloves are kinda nice because they'll protect the remote if it's tossed/dropped. The downside is that changing the battery becomes a chore.

Also, for virtual console games, you don't need a classic controller -- you can use the Wii remotes for almost all the games, and the ones you can't, you can use the Gamecube controller (though it's just not the same if you're used to it the old way!).

Kid Icarus is much harder than you remember, too. Trust me. ;)

Archived