Buying my first amp...

randomhero2006

• Members

Guys, I'll be honest. Right now, I don't even have a working bass amp, as I have to play through a guitar amp. I looked on musiciansfriend, and came across this gem.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N8-40W-1x8-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=488215

I'm not playing in a band (yet), so I don't need a huge amp. I just want something that will sound good, yet still be cheap. So, has/does anyone play/own the Nemesis? I'd really love to hear some input.

Thanks in teh advance.

EDIT:

My budget is from $100-200. I played a GK at GC, and I really enjoyed the sound. If anyone knows of a cheap model, that still kicks massive ass, let me know.

• Members

Look for a 10+ year old Peavey on eBay.

I still have my Peavey Mark III Bass head from the early 80's.

They are loud, inexpensive, and virtually indestructible.

Ahh, but if he gets a used head he'll need a cab to go with it and I'm sure it'll cost way more then he's looking to spend. I'm thinking he wants to stay under $200 bucks. Hit the MF web site, click the "$100-$200" under combos and see what they have. I still think the Perfect 10 would work fine for a small practice amp. I wouldn't want to go any smaller then a 10" speaker and a 12" would be better for a single speaker combo. Remember, we're talking BASS here, not Guitar. :D

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkerci

Look for a 10+ year old Peavey on eBay.

I still have my Peavey Mark III Bass head from the early 80's.

They are loud, inexpensive, and virtually indestructible.

Ahh, but if he gets a used head he'll need a cab to go with it and I'm sure it'll cost way more then he's looking to spend. I'm thinking he wants to stay under $200 bucks. Hit the MF web site, click the "$100-$200" under combos and see what they have. I still think the Perfect 10 would work fine for a small practice amp. I wouldn't want to go any smaller then a 10" speaker and a 12" would be better for a single speaker combo. Remember, we're talking BASS here, not Guitar.
:D

If he looked around a bit, he could probably find a Mark III and a 115 for between $200-$250 that'll perform better than any combo in that price range...

- georgestrings

• Members

You need a practice amp right now. Get a light and compact Peavey combo like a Microbass or Minx. It'll be a great investment for you, as a practice combo will always come in handy down the road. i.e. it's something you'll never outgrow.

Next...

Save your pennies until you can afford something that'll keep up with a drummer and get back to us.

• Members

You need a
practice
amp right now. Get a light and compact Peavey combo like a Microbass or Minx. It'll be a great investment for you, as a practice combo will always come in handy down the road. i.e. it's something you'll never outgrow.

Next...

Save your pennies until you can afford something that'll keep up with a drummer and get back to us.

thats good stuff there:thu:

• Members

these are in your price range and have a 10inch speaker which imho is a better choice than an 8"

I have played through one of these at a friends house many times...not bad at all (better than I thought it would be for sure), tilt back is nice option: Ibanez SW35

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SW35-35-Watt-Bass-Amp?sku=480136

Peavey Max

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-MAX-110-Bass-Combo?sku=481447

SWRLA10

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA10-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482036

• Members

Ooooooh, I have extensive knowledge of the N8 as it was my only amp for several months when I was getting back into bass. All in all I liked it. Alot. It had great tone. I liked how even the G string sounded fatter than I was used to. Surprising amount of low end for an 8". It won't be knocking the pictures off walls but you'll certainly notice it. Gets decently loud too. Loud enough for playing along to CD's anyways. Sounds great in small bedroom too because of the smaller speaker.

Now for the bad. The mids knob doesn't work. It doesn't do anything, zip, nada. I didn't notice this for a long time because I always leave the mids flat on a 3-band eq. I don't know if I got a bad apple or what. You would think this is a major thing but it really doesn't bother me. The tolex is peeling slightly in the back. Nothing some superglue won't fix though.

For $140 I think it's a pretty damn nice little solo practice amp.

Archived