Let's talk about Modulus

AunShui

• Members

So i was just in Guitar Center picking up some new tubes, and I decided to sit down with a 5 string fretted Pedulla Rapture, because I'm looking for a fretted 5er in the $1k price range. The bass was nice, but it didn't seem worth $1k to me, definately not the 2k+ they wanted for it.

Anyway, this nice gentleman with a thick eastern European accent comes up to me and starts talking about how pedulla's necks are crappy, they're sensitive to humidity, etc etc etc.

He saw that i was playing some slappy Primus stuff and recommended me the Flea Modulus model, saying that it played like cream and was one of the nicest basses he had ever played.

I'm not too interested in another bass with a bridge humbucker, but i wouldn't say no to a J-J or even a J-HB configuration bass.

So my questions: Are modulus basses awesome? How do they play/feel/sound? Do they make one like I describe? Can I get one for around $1k? Is it versatile enough to go from slappy Primus to Metal? Is break dancing awesome?

Input appreciated

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I too played the rapture, at GC it felt like crap and I wouldn't pay anywhere near what they wanted for it, at Ed Roman's (I know, Iknow) the one they had felt sublime, I was all geared up to purchase it, (I;m not even a fan of jazz basses or copies, and wasn't really looking for a bolt-on, but it was really really nice)

I don't know about the necks, seems they are wood just like any other bass, and it is not such a big issue for me (A lot of Modulus guys swear that they notice wood necks warping with different temps and humidity, I don't think there is that much of a noticeable difference) Depends on your style, Modulus might be right for you, it's not for me.

I went with a Schecter stiletto, it atuall played as nicely as the ped, looks cooler,and has better features (in my book at least, I love neck-through....) I can't believe it was as inexpensive as it was, I wasn't even looking at basses in the low range, I was looking for the last bass I'll ever need (need being an open phrase, of course) and I found it in my Schecter...

• Members

if you decide to go with a modulus i'd try to find a newer one with a truss rod. the older ones don't have 'em so you're {censored}ed if the neck goes a bit wonky.

i personally like the sound of basses with graphite necks and own three but it might not be the sound for you.

• Members

if you decide to go with a modulus i'd try to find a newer one with a truss rod. the older ones don't have 'em so you're {censored}ed if the neck goes a bit wonky.

no modulus basses have truss rods. The newer ones have a "relief system" which is not structural. If the neck were in fact to go "Wonky", which I don't think is really possible with a composite neck, the relief adjustment would be of no help.

• Members

I guess the only way to know is to play one. Does anyone have sound clips or know of any bands whose bassist rocks a modulus? Obviously the new RHCP stuff will help a little (flea uses GK amps as well, i understand), but any other recommendations are great too.

• Members

I guess the only way to know is to play one. Does anyone have sound clips or know of any bands whose bassist rocks a modulus? Obviously the new RHCP stuff will help a little (flea uses GK amps as well, i understand), but any other recommendations are great too.

sig.

definitely not your style of music though.

• Members

I wouldn't say that, i dig the funk.

As far as it goes, this might be along the lines of the tones i want. Versatility is big for me, but this will probably be my standard tuning bass, and ill drop my 'Ray down to C and leave it there for band purposes.

Nice playing by the way!

• Members

I wouldn't say that, i dig the funk.

As far as it goes, this might be along the lines of the tones i want. Versatility is big for me, but this will probably be my standard tuning bass, and ill drop my 'Ray down to C and leave it there for band purposes.

Nice playing by the way!

thanks.

Go find a modulus and rock it. See what you think. They aren't for everybody, but they are great if it's what you're looking for. And you can forget about having to tune!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Modulus basses are my main work horses. I can't say enough good things about them. They are stable and play great. I have a Q6 and a VJ, and hope to pickup a Flea at some point in the future. Yes, they make Flea's in a single H, J/H, and J/J configuration. I live on the Gulf Coast. Humidity is a huge problem during the outdoor season. My Moduli never complain. The necks never move. The play great each time I take them out. I also like the Barts over the EMG's. The Villex pups are great also, as is the Basslines pickups in the Flea.

• Members

I love my modulus. It was my main gigging bass for a while. It was light, sounded good, felt perfect in my hands, and not too hard on the eyes. Lately I have been playing my jazz, just because it is a little different, new strings, and something new to try. But overall my modulus is the last bass that I would get rid of in my collection. Play one, if it is for you you will know it, if not play until you find something that speaks to you. Oh yeah I have the lane poor pickup, and it isnt a flea, it is its precursor the sonic hammer.

• Members

One more comment about the neck. i have basses that I have to set up every couple of months because of changes in humidity etc.... The modulus, however, is always the same. Mine doest even have the relief control in it like the new ones (no truss-rod or pseudo-truss rod) and it still is just right, feels like an old glove.

• Members

So my questions: Are modulus basses awesome? How do they play/feel/sound? Do they make one like I describe? Can I get one for around $1k? Is it versatile enough to go from slappy Primus to Metal? Is break dancing awesome?

Yes...they are awesome! They play amazingly smooth, feel like a high quality instrument, and sound awesome too. I bought mine for a little over $1K. Mine was used, but in excellent shape...and it came with the case. Mine's an 04' model too! I play mostly metal, but you can certainly go from slap to metal with it...they are VERY versatile basses.

See my sig for a pic of mine...it's a Q5. I think you can get them with a wide range of pup options, but I'm not sure. I bought mine used, so I didn't really have a choice with what I got. Mine has the Barts and an Aguilar ODB-3 pre...

• Members

I love mine and it's been my main gigging bass since I bought it 22 years ago. As has been said, you should try one if you have the opportunity. The neck is thin and fast and doesn't move (of course mine is a neck thru...:D ). As for the price, I've definitely seen them go for 1k or less on ebay, but it's rare... If you're patient, you will be rewarded. :thu:

• Members

I only have one word for you:

WHAT?

Modpic1.jpg

100_0198.jpg

Sorry. I was rocking these bad mofo's too hard! ;)

I have been to the other side of the world (figuratively speaking) in bassdom, and returned with a Quantum.

It is hands-down, FAR and away, the most amazing instrument I've ever played. I even got rid of a Dingwall for it, which is blasphemy to some, but there honestly is no comparison.

For the perfect tone I hear in my ears, my '94 Q5 w/ a Bart/Bart setup is it. There will only be additions to my arsenal, but none will conquer my #1 Spot.

That being said, the Flea is amazing and very versatile. I would love a J/Hum config one one just for versatility's sake-

but like boalggy says, anything but a single Hum on a Flea isn't a Flea.

It's aggressive, in your face, punchy as all get out, but with a 3-band EQ (mine only has 2 but I make it) it can sound like anything you want it to. Most responsive bass (even more than the Q5) I've touched also. Very reactive to dynamics, which can be a good OR bad thing, depending on your technique and ability! ;)

You won't regret it. And welcome to the Mob if you do end up with one! :thu:

Archived