Let's talk about Modulus

AunShui

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

mike from the former phish plays them.

As does Phil Lesh, from the Dead. :)

IMHO their tones are not typical of Modulus though. They both are pick players and have a fairly clean sounding tone.

The tone I try to emulate is Oteil Burbridge

• Members

As does Phil Lesh, from the Dead.
:)

did phil always play them? i only started playing bass less than a month or so ago so ive not been that huge into bass gear until now. the only thing i recall when thinking about phil's bass is the 500 knobs and phase switches and stereo outs he used to have, i guess i never bothered to look at the headstock. :o

like this alembic:

phil-alembic.jpg

• Members

No, he started using them in the late 90's, i think.

his is a custom neck through 6 string with a extra deep cutaway:

phil.jpg

I read the BP Mag interview on the rig in that picture-

it's the epitome of the word "overdone".. ;)

• Members

Back then, the company was a 2-3 man operation owned and operated by Geoff Gould in the back of Starz Guitarz in San Francisco. There were no serial numbers and they were all neck through and unique to each other. Killer instruments!!

• Members

No, he started using them in the late 90's, i think.

his is a custom neck through 6 string with a extra deep cutaway:

phil.jpg

Mid 80s, actually. I want to say 86.

The nicest looking Modulus, or just about any bass, I've ever seen is on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MODULUS-6-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-BURL-WOOD-BODY-CARBON-NECK_W0QQitemZ200089839205QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh man, that burl wood is just gorgeous.

• Members

The nicest looking Modulus, or just about any bass, I've ever seen is on eBay right now.

I'm not really a huge dead fan, never really paid attention till I started playing their music in a band.

That mod is sweet, but the single pick up is a deal breaker for me.

• Members

I'm not really a huge dead fan, never really paid attention till I started playing their music in a band.

That mod is sweet, but the single pick up is a deal breaker for me.

Same here.

Plus that's a bookmatched spalted top if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

That version is known as a Quantum "Sweet Spot" bass...due to the placement of the single pup...

• Members

Wow, thanks for all the input!

Modulus is definitely a contender in the "AunShui's next bass" competition right now. I'll have to play at least one before i feel comfortable buying, though. I think that will require a trip to one of the NYC music stores, but i don't realistically have the funds right now anyway, so no rush.

• Members

Wow, thanks for all the input!

Modulus is definitely a contender in the "AunShui's next bass" competition right now. I'll have to play at least one before i feel comfortable buying, though. I think that will require a trip to one of the NYC music stores, but i don't realistically have the funds right now anyway, so no rush.

Don't try a Quantum unless you mean it! ;)

They're addictive!

:thu:

• Members

IMHO, they are high quality instruments. I prefer a more natural feeling neck, but the profile is nice. They sound super to my ears. I've prolly spent more time on Catphish's than any other, and his action is too high for me
:D
...so I can't say much for it's playing.

Ya know

Archived