Let's talk about Modulus

AunShui

• Members

Seriously compare Modulus to what you get for the money at Status or Zon. Not even a comparison guys :)

If I bought a used one it'd be a Modulus (been there, done that) since they are so damned cheap used (which also says something).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's with Zon, anyhow?? Mod made their necks for forever, and their bodies/designs are God-awful fugly.

Status I can see b/c their graphite is made so different, but no way would I go Zon over Mod. From what I see, you get even less bass than with Mod, and they don't have as many options in totally different styles and basses.

I had a chance to get traded a NICE Status 5 a few years back, I forget even what bass it was for. I think like a Spector or something. Should have done it, to at least try it out. But I can't get over their designs anymore than I can Zon. Both are hideous. :) I want to dry hump just about any and all Quantums I see! :love::love::love:

• Members
What's with Zon, anyhow?? Mod made their necks for forever, and their bodies/designs are God-awful fugly.

Status I can see b/c their graphite is made so different, but no way would I go Zon over Mod. From what I see, you get even
less
bass than with Mod, and they don't have as many options in totally different styles and basses.

I had a chance to get traded a NICE Status 5 a few years back, I forget even what bass it was for. I think like a Spector or something. Should have done it, to at least try it out. But I can't get over their designs anymore than I can Zon. Both are hideous.
:)
I want to dry hump just about any and all Quantums I see!
:love:

I think Zon has a better neck, for me at least, and a more organic type of sound. They are graphite necked but they don't necessarily sound like it. This plus they are lighter than most Modulii I have played; I like the woods they use better as well. Instead of quilt everything under a god awful turquoise burst finish, Zon use different woods as well as more attractive finishes IMO. This coupled with the fact that I have yet to play a bass that is more ergonomic or comfortable and I would choose a Zon over Modulus.
Of course I think both basses are incredibly overpriced for what you get.

Dan

• Members

I donno. As far as fit and finishes and options go, I see everything that you mentioned in Moduli all the time, especially more recently. They're definitely shooting for a more "subtle" approach, I guess you could say, in their natural woods and colored/stained finishes these days.

Does Zon offer a wood cap on their necks, like Mod does w/ their chechen fretboards? That's the ticket, in my book for the perfect balance.
I'd LOVE to get ahold of a fretless VJ w/ the chechen fretboard. That'd be just sick.

• Members

I donno. As far as fit and finishes and options go, I see everything that you mentioned in Moduli all the time, especially more recently. They're definitely shooting for a more "subtle" approach, I guess you could say, in their natural woods and colored/stained finishes these days.

Does Zon offer a wood cap on their necks, like Mod does w/ their chechen fretboards? That's the ticket, in my book for the perfect balance.

I'd LOVE to get ahold of a fretless VJ w/ the chechen fretboard. That'd be just sick.

I'd love to try a Mod like yours with a chechen board and bart's. I do enjoy the more subtle jobs that Modulus does as well. It's too bad none of the GC's ever carried them. I was always intrigued by the VJ's though, despite all my {censored} talking:D. If they weren't so damn expensive I would have already had one:(.

Dan

• Members

For the money Zon VB's look like they would knock any modulus of a similar price range out of the park. The Sonus is the only one I've ever played and listened to first hand, and it's pretty damned epic. I can't say I have enough experience to judge them as flat out superior, but for the dollars they tend to look like a better buy to me.

The VB is the main star of that lineup though imho -- 2100 bucks for that thing is amazing.

Status...eh. The kingbass is probably the sexiest bass on earth.

It's probably mostly a preference thing, except for the one hard numeric thing and that is that Status in particular resells for a lot more than Modulus. You take a Modulus home and it's instantly depreciated like 50% -- Status is more like 75% (depending on if you put the stupid LEDs in there), from the looks of things. There has to be some reason for that.

Archived