A rare, serious post from the bassgeek: Are you......

Funkee1

• Members

A complete bass scientist, into all the physics behind why this stuff works, and constantly experimenting with different things, or are you a bass luddite, who just wants to plug and play?

I am somewhere in the middle I think. I like to think I know a little about tone woods and all that, but the truth is, I picks up de bass, I plucks de strings, and music comes out. I don't care why........

• Members

I tend to be pretty specific about what sort of things go into producing the tone I'm looking for and it ends up saving me money on one end (by limiting the scope of things I look into) but on the other; I want to try all possible outlets in that area.

I tend to be rather gung-ho on effects as well, so in that aspect, I tend to experiment as much as humanly possible with different pedals producing as different of tones and sonic textures as I can. It really depends on context though, I can see the benefits of a rock (classic, modern, what have you) bassist wanting to simply plug in and play as their is a limited amount of leeway in that forum.

• Members

Somewhere in the middle - I like to have some understanding the physics of scale length, nut material, that kind of stuff....but it's more a matter of general curiosity. Knowing something about that subject could help guide me towards looking at a particular guitar or string but just as a way to get me pointed in the right direction.

When it comes down to it, for me it's all about the feel and the tone....both have to be right.

Cosmetics are important to me, but come last on the list...c-d

• Members

I have my preferences, but now that I know what they are, I've been a lot less inclined to fool around with the minutiae and just play the bass. Of course, I can't afford what I really like at the moment, but at least it's killed my GAS, for the most part.

• Members

I generally try to learn as much as I can about something I'm interested in. When I learned how to drive a car, I wanted to know what all of those little knobs and meters did. I wanted (well, had) to learn all of the rules, too. The right way to drive. I know you should drive right up the middle of your lane, not too far towards the shoulder, and not too far towards the center line.

My point: When you're learning to drive a car, you learn to drive the right way because you don't want to crash. Why would bass be any different? If you just wanna play covers with your buddies in your garage, that's fine. I like driving go-carts, too.

• Moderators

A complete bass scientist, which means I do understand how everything works don't have to mess around. I set up what I need and play. Most tinkerers (not all) don't have a good idea of what they want and how to achieve it. That accounts for the gear turnover and tinkering.

• Members

Hmm, I'm not sure. Does researching how soundwaves affect the aging process of wood and running experiments on my bass using the knowledge gained from those acquired theories make me a scientist-type-bassplayer? Ah, maybe just a geek.

• Members

Hmm, I'm not sure. Does researching how soundwaves affect the aging process of wood and running experiments on my bass using the knowledge gained from those acquired theories make me a scientist-type-bassplayer? Ah, maybe just a geek.

Doesn't make you a scientist unless you write a 400 page report and mention Global warming. ;)

Archived