A rare, serious post from the bassgeek: Are you......

Funkee1

• Members
Doesn't make you a scientist unless you write a 400 page report and mention Global warming.
;)

Aha. Well, I wrote an 800 word article on it. I'm betting that's not anywhere near lengthy enough. On the bright side, I did happen to mention global warming. :idea:

• Members
Aha. Well, I wrote an 800 word article on it. I'm betting that's not anywhere near lengthy enough. On the bright side, I did happen to mention global warming.
:idea:

Reminds me of this great English essay I wrote last year on the Scottish smoking ban. My teacher said it was one of the best she had seen in a long time and it was only a pass/fail unit. :o

I don't care what anyone says about global warming. Even if for arguments sake it isn't actually happening, the consequences of our (less than adequete) efforts to stop it can only help.

People are nuts.

Lets all move to Mars. :D

• Members

I'm a scientist by profession, so I apply science to my music as a matter of course. But I'm more of a DIY'er than a scientist, I guess. I don't mess with my bass, as I feel it is fine as-is. But I do my setups myself. I also don't tinker with my amplification. I found something I like and I stick with it.

That said, I'm ALWAYS building new effects, even if I don't use them. I make them for other people sometimes. Effects building takes a certain scientific method in design (something I'm just getting into) and troubleshooting (been doing that since my first build).

I also do all my band's recording/engineering. That takes a somewhat scientific approach, even if it's just weeding through specs on that new piece of gear. Plus I'm a synth/keys player and sound design is definitely part art and part science.

I really started out playing bass very scientifically all those years ago, by methodically and studiously copping grooves/licks from vinyl/tape/CDs. Now I play much more artfully and come up with my own stuff.

• Members
I am both.

Sweating the front side so the backside can happen, you dig?

:)

+1 One doesn't preclude the other. I did woodworking in highschool, got an electronics degree in college. Although I did build my first bass in highschool, I was a player (kinda) before I ever thought about learning how all the stuff worked together. The two compliment each other (plus, you get to laugh at all the voodoo mumbo-jumbo you hear in the music world) :D

Archived