Direct vs. Mics when recording

In Absentia

• Members

I use a combination of three tracks when tracking bass: I use a Shure SM57 (or some sort of small dynamic microphone) on the horn of the cabinet (usually directly on-axis with the throw of the horn), an Audix D6 on the driver of the cabinet (usually one of the bottom speaker, don't ask me why, they just sound better to me usually. I put this one off-axis slightly), and then a DI signal straight from the bass. The mix of the three allows me to really get the best tone out of the bass.

• Members

I think it would depend on the situation. You're playing bass for a band that sounds like Sabbath, I'm gonna stick a mic infront of your cab. If you were playing on a Motown track, I'd stick a mic infront of your B15. An uptempo fusion track? Probably a DI.

• Members

I think it would depend on the situation. You're playing bass for a band that sounds like Sabbath, I'm gonna stick a mic infront of your cab. If you were playing on a Motown track, I'd stick a mic infront of your B15. An uptempo fusion track? Probably a DI.

Just for grins ,, whats a 60s vintage B15 going for these days thats up an running well. rat

• Members

Just for grins ,, whats a 60s vintage B15 going for these days thats up an running well. rat

Oh god, I don't know. Probably too much damned money.

I usually use a DI on my bass for everything. It takes a REALLY expensive microphone to reproduce the bass as clearly as a standard DI box does.

• Members

I see 'em going on ebay in the $600 - $800 range.

You can get a nice B-25 for a lot less though & use a nice box with it.

I dont need a B-25 ,,, i have a real 60s vintage B15. :wave: I have a 69 gibson EBO too...... rat

• Members

In my apt. it's Direct all the way , with all the great pre's and modelers , it's pretty tough to get the amp to sound as good as anyone of my choice pre's. My bass amps are just to loud in the apt. and that's where all the recording is done . I do mic up a tiny 4 watt tube amp for geetar though .

Archived