Mac or PC. for recording..

acmaddox0825

• Members

Mac all the way. I've been a professional computer nerd for 16 years and work with every platform under the sun. Fighting with manufacturers' crappy Windows audio card drivers isn't worth the effort. I use Windows when I have to and OS X the rest of the time.

• Members

oh yeah a pc will run you about 1/2 the cost or better , with about equal results . XP is Rock solid too.
;)
Vista , I'm not sure about .

Depends on which PC you get and which Mac you get. I'd say that Macs all things being equal will be about 1/3 more then a PC BUT you get a very decent software bundle with it too including iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie. Stuff that'd cost you extra on a PC. OS-X is a BSD bassed system while XP is suppose to be Unix bassed, which is much better then what Windows used to use. I just like the leaness of the Macs, no tower go get in the way. Here's Apple's web site, check out some of the features.

http://www.apple.com/

• Members

Most pros use Mac for music and graphics.
:thu:

First, you'll have to define "graphics", as Mac's are only in certain niche's within "graphics". Mostly, print and design. Things like computer generated special effects are opened up much more with Windows and Linux being more dominant, along with the old industry standard, Irix.

As to the original question, discard what other people use. Take a look at what software is out there and determine what will work for you. Worst case, if you do buy a Mac, you can still run Windows on it so you're not out too much.

My personal preference is PC. In either case, however, you'll have a slew of software options available to you. What the pros use is insignificant unless you're looking for to emulate what they do. Even in those cases, I've heard of some studios dumping their Macs due to lack of use, while others swear that Mac's are the only thing the industry uses.

Of course, Mac's have a well-known history in audio. They picked up the market once the former true king, the Atari computers, faded away and a serious replacement was needed. PC's couldn't do the job at the time as they just didn't have the audio equipment for it. So, what is really being said is that Mac's may still be seen as the top choice out of preference, but it may be out of tradition as well.

If you get a Mac, you'll have a pretty well-built machine. The OS has been pretty reliable as well. If you're only looking at this for music and some other basic computing, it does the job just fine. If you happen to need to use software such as MS Visio or MS Project, you'll have to run emulation or a virtual machine running Windows to run that software. Games are a similar situation as most games are for Windows only with no OSX verisons.

With a PC, you'll have more apps to chose from and the dominant computer game platform. The Windows PC is the all-around better choice as var as versatility goes. You will have more potential security issues, requiring you to install a virus scanner and adware utility. If you don't need the other things a PC provides, a Mac isn't a bad choice.

As I said, I prefer PC's to Mac's. I've really never cared for the Mac OS interface, I'm computer gamer, and I tend to need some apps not available on OSX. The Mac just doesn't make as much practical sense for me since I build my PC's myself. I get a lot more upgrade options this way and can tweak and customize things as I see fit. Worse, now, with Mac's is that the only model they have with the case and monitor separate is the Mac Pro. At $2500, it's impressive but definitely overkill for my needs. I don't need 2 dual-core Xeon's and ECC memory. Thus, my only real Mac option is well-overpriced for my needs.

• Members

while XP is suppose to be Unix bassed, which is much better then what Windows used to use.

... no offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

winXP is the updgrade from win2k pro, aka winNT5.0. nt4 was the new windows for workgroups (supplanting win3.11) with the win95 gui.

the bad systems were mostly win98 and winME. win98 second edition was pretty solid, but ME was {censored}e. most of peoples hatred for windows comes from these systems. XP home is a bit better, but XP Pro is the best thing you can get right now. vista.... wait a couple years.

anthing built off the the NT code base is pretty damned rock solid.

osx is built from FreeBSD which is a unix-like OS.

as for the OP, hardware wise, there is no functional difference between a mac and a pc. for all intents and purposes, macs ARE pcs. they use the same hardware. exact same. use the savings from buying a pc and buy a good interface instead. as with either system, you are still going to need to get the sound into the system somehow.

as for the graphics pro's... well, i count myself under that, and i use both macs and pcs all day long. i prefer pcs. under all the shine, the mac is not faster or better. i turned off all the gui crap on the mac, and defaulted the xp back to the classic gui. cuase i'm here to work, not to admire the case or the gui. the windows os gets in my way the least.

but after all is said and done, just get whatever you want. there is no difference. at all.

• Members

I have noticed most macs come with 5600rpm harddrives, which are no good for recording, you need a 7200rpm to work efficiently, but correct me if I am wrong here.

I had that problem with my powerbook, but it was more annoying than anything. Fixed it with an external 7200rpm firewire drive, and I needed the extra space anyway.

• Members

I have noticed most macs come with 5600rpm harddrives, which are no good for recording, you need a 7200rpm to work efficiently, but correct me if I am wrong here.

You are wrong:thu: 7200 is standard in most Mac desktops, now.

I voted Mac, but I was strongly considering it doesn't really matter, as well.

The truth is, there is very little actual cost difference when you compare a Mac and PC with everything the same (HD, RAM, Processor, Video & Audio card, software). Apple simply doesn't cover the extreme low end, and that is why they are generally assumed to be more expensive. Your most cost effective option is to build something yourself, but for the average consumer, that is simply an unreasonable request.

If you want to occasionally use your computer for gaming, buy a PC. Macs simply can't compete in this arena. If you want to do basic home movies, digital photos, etc, buy a Mac, the packaged software handles all of it very elegantly (Garageband is a pretty good program FWIW).

• Members

You are wrong:thu: 7200 is standard in most Mac desktops, now.

I voted Mac, but I was strongly considering it doesn't really matter, as well.

The truth is, there is very little actual cost difference when you compare a Mac and PC with everything the same (HD, RAM, Processor, Video & Audio card, software). Apple simply doesn't cover the extreme low end, and that is why they are generally assumed to be more expensive. Your most cost effective option is to build something yourself, but for the average consumer, that is simply an unreasonable request.

If you want to occasionally use your computer for gaming, buy a PC. Macs simply can't compete in this arena. If you want to do basic home movies, digital photos, etc, buy a Mac, the packaged software handles all of it very elegantly (Garageband is a pretty good program FWIW).

thank you , it was a couple of years ago when I was pricing macs that I noticed that.

• Members

what do you mean by "good software". really the only thing i need is for it to run my recording software...

Good software would be the iLife suite, or more specifically, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand. Ever want to make a DVD of your band? Everything you need comes in the box. iMovie is really easy to use, you'll be whipping through it before you finish your first project.

Import your footage, chop it up, add fade ins/outs, and the obligatory MTV-like song title at the beginning and end of each song. Then put chapter markers at the beginning of each fade-in. If you have soundboard audio, chop that up in GarageBand and add it to your iMovie and mix/wipe whatever audio was on the videotape. Next, click send to iDVD and pick the theme you want to use. BOOM! Instant concert DVD complete with chapter links to each song in case you don't want to watch the whole video front to back.

I can cut, title & fade 18 songs during my lunch break on my stock MacBook that I picked up last year when they first came out. Converting the video to MPEG2 and burning everything to DVD takes about 3 hours for 90 minutes of footage, but I just click go and come back when the DVD is complete. It'd probably take less time if I had >512MB RAM but I haven't really seen the need to upgrade to more RAM yet.

Archived