How to play a Bass with Pickup covers?

waw423

• Members

My father bought me a Fender Bass he found sitting in a pawn shop. Long story short its a fender bass with pickup covers and bridge covers but I have no idea where to put my right thumb. Its kind of akward to place it on the pickup cover and its even more akward to place it above the pickguard. It has a thumb rest near the bottem of the pickgaurd but I dont really slap bass at all. I play more of a Rock style and never slap or whatever. Any pointers?

• Members

Taking them off always works best for me. I guess if you play with a pick or are a genius like Marcus Miller, you can leave it on.

More importantly: Fender bass, pawn shop, pickup covers - got pics?

• Members

well I dont have a camera on me but its white and orange on some parts (looks like rust or stains??? ) It was up for 200 dollers. The pickup cover is really rusted and it looks kinda cool so i dont want to remove it really. The paint is sorta feeling off. the serial is faded but i think i can make out a 2 in the middle.

So how do other players play these basses?

I play mostly Sabbeth and Cream in my band so......... I need to finger pick.

• Members

Probably the first mod ever done to a bass was to dump the ashtray. From a player's standpoint it's really hard to understand why they were on there in the first place!

Almost as puzzling as why the thumbrest is below the G string...

So, take it off, put the parts in a ziplock bag (which wasn't invented until the mid 70s, and explains why so many old basses just don't have 'em anymore) and toss the bag in the case's compartment.

Or, do what Anesthesia said.

• Members
Probably the first mod ever done to a bass was to dump the ashtray. From a player's standpoint it's really hard to understand why they were on there in the first place!

Almost as puzzling as why the thumbrest is below the G string...

So, take it off, put the parts in a ziplock bag (which wasn't invented until the mid 70s, and explains why so many old basses just don't have 'em anymore) and toss the bag in the case's compartment.

Or, do what Anesthesia said.

The rest is below the G string to pluck the strings with your thumb I think.

• Members

If you want a different thumbrest I have a suggestion:

Certain effects pedal companies (Roland and Boss in particular) include these little adhesive rubber feet with some of their compact pedals.

These are meant to help attach the pedal to a floorboard, but they also make great non-permanent thumbrests! They're almost exactly the same height off the body as a jazz bass bridge pickup, they stay stuck for ages (had one on my jaguar for a month or two now), they can easily be cut to size to fit your needs and they don't mark the body at all (tested out on a squier 1st)

I called up Roland asking for a few more and they sent me 4 of the things for free, might be worth checking out if you want another option.

Or just learn the foating thumb technique, a lot of bassists use it.

• Members

Or just learn to play without a thumbrest / anchor point - better in the long run anyway.

I've heard a few bassists say that this technique is better, but I've never found out why. I can do it and all, but I can't feel any real advantages. Can you explain how it helps you?

cheers

• Members

I've heard a few bassists say that this technique is better, but I've never found out why. I can do it and all, but I can't feel any real advantages. Can you explain how it helps you?

cheers

Well, basically, it makes you focus on proper right hand technique without using thumb position as a crutch and it lets you vary your picking point up/down the strings for different tonal effects. Only playing with your thumb anchored to one point really limits you in lots of ways.

• Members

I take them off , a set of flats is enough for me if I want thud , so no mutes or mute covers (pickup covers) Fender style of course. I don't care about looks either, but if you were to use them , this may be a good way .

thehook.jpg

aa.jpg

• Members

Can we get a serial number or something?

EDIT: sorry, i didn't read that it was faded off. is there any way to take a picture with a cell phone or something, or borrow a camera from a friend?

Also- I'm pretty sure the finger rest is below the G string because early bassists would rest their other 4 fingers on it while playing with their thumb.

Of course, everyone who played bass before the 1970's could have just been lefty.

• Members

Well, basically, it makes you focus on proper right hand technique without using thumb position as a crutch and it lets you vary your picking point up/down the strings for different tonal effects. Only playing with your thumb anchored to one point really limits you in lots of ways.

Ah I see what you mean now. I shift my hand position all the time when playing, but I do tend to have a few particular anchor points along my playing area (hence the rubber thumb rest thing I mentioned earlier) that I hang my thumb off of.

I was thinking of the 'thumbless' hand technique, kinda like what cliff Burton used to do. I've always found it lacked control for aggressive plucking styles. Worked for him though....

Archived