Advice for a begginer?

flatfacerincone

• Members

Okay, so i'm what you guys would call a 'guitard', and i've wanted to take up bass too for a while now.

Anyway, i finally bit the bullet and bought a decent P-Bass knockoff from a friend of mine; Only problem is, i dont have a rig to play it through. Are the bass plugins for guitarport any good? I already use guitarport for most of my practice anyway, so i figured i might give those a shot. If not, any suggestions for a cheap, decent practice amp?

Also, anyone know of any good lessons sites, ect? I want something begginer-ish and relatively easy, but not total noob stuff like 'parts of a bass' or 'the notes on the E string', ect ect, as i've been playing guitar for a couple years now.

• Members

Be able to spell "beginner"...

When I started off playing bass, I played through a little Fender Silverface Vibrochamp 8" combo at LOW volumes. I couldn't get butt-shakin' bass, and sometimes things sounded thin, but at low volume it was fine. If you have an amp already, try it through that at LOW volume... just be aware of possible damage as the volume goes up.

• Members

What's your budget like for buying a practise amp and do you want new or used?

Hey, mate, this is an AMERICAN forum, and in America the word is "practice", not "practise"!

I started playing bass and guitar last June, and have played pretty much every day since then. Here are my ad hoc tips for getting started:

1. Learn how to use your fingers in addition to a pick. Start off with just one finger (your forefinger) and then when you've got that nailed pretty well (maybe after 3-4 months), add in the middle finger and start learning to alternate between the two.

2. Try to play along with some of your favorite tunes. I started off with acoustic Nirvana songs, and then progressed to early Beatles stuff. It's much easier to play along with songs using the bass than the guitar.

3. If possible, always practice in sync with a drum machine or at least a metronome.

4. Learn the basics, but don't be afraid to be "funk-ilicious". Learn some simple stuff and then start adding in little fills and runs. It's amazing what a difference they can make.

5. Practice as much as you can.

As far as amps go, I have 3 different Roland modeling amps (a Cube 30 guitar, Cube 30 bass, and a red Micro Cube). My bass actually sounds OK in all of them (not great, just OK). But for pure transportability, it's hard to beat the Micro Cube (even though it's really a guitar amp).

• Members

Great, so three of the first four posts are slamming his spelling. Way to go guys.

Now go jump off a cliff or something useful.

Back on topic:

You can buy a cheap practice combo, for something quiet but quality, I suggest the Fender Rumble 15 (it's a great little inexpensive combo), or you can get a Dean headphone unit.

If you just want to practice. You can't gig anything bigger than a bathroom with the Fender, but it's awesome for apartments or bedrooms.

• Members

I started playing bass and guitar last June, and have played pretty much every day since then. Here are my ad hoc tips for getting started:

1. Learn how to use your fingers in addition to a pick. Start off with just one finger (your forefinger) and then when you've got that nailed pretty well (maybe after 3-4 months), add in the middle finger and start learning to alternate between the two.

2. Try to play along with some of your favorite tunes. I started off with acoustic Nirvana songs, and then progressed to early Beatles stuff. It's much easier to play along with songs using the bass than the guitar.

3. If possible, always practice in sync with a drum machine or at least a metronome.

4. Learn the basics, but don't be afraid to be "funk-ilicious". Learn some simple stuff and then start adding in little fills and runs. It's amazing what a difference they can make.

5. Practice as much as you can.

As far as amps go, I have 3 different Roland modeling amps (a Cube 30 guitar, Cube 30 bass, and a red Micro Cube). My bass actually sounds OK in all of them (not great, just OK). But for pure transportability, it's hard to beat the Micro Cube (even though it's really a guitar amp).

Yup, you're right, nothing useful there. :blah::rolleyes:

• Members

Wen eye wuz uh beeginer eye playd thru uh peevy.....
:freak:

Not trying to make fun, I just like getting slammed by forumites!
:D

Mr. Matt

When you ask for it, it doesn't happen.

You have to be an involuntary simpleton to get slammed. :D

Sorry!

• Members

Be able to spell "beginner"...

Yikes, good advice, hah. In my defense, it was late and i had had like 3 hours of sleep the night before, lol.

Another noob question; will i damage anything running a Bass through my guitar amps? I realize theyre probably not designed to handle all the low end frequencies.

No, i probably wont be gigging as a bassist for a long time, so something small is fine. My budget at the moment is... well, zero, but i'll start saving soon. I'd like to keep it around a couple hundred. Also, if possible, i'd love it if it'd be loud enough to be heard with a loud guitar and drums, as i do jam regularly and we dont have a bassist.

Noones tried the Bass stuff for guitarport? :confused:

Archived