Best opening act you've seen?

Goofball Jones

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Triple bill - Pixies, Jane's Addiction, and a "new on the scene" band opening by the name of Primus.

Jane's & the Pixie's were really good, but Les 'n the boys just smoked 'em.

Also Girlschool opening for Motorhead. They didn't outdo Motorhead (not a chance) but I had no idea who they were at the time, and I was definately left with my jaw hanging. The two bands also teamed up and did "Please Don't Touch" together - oh my.

• Members

Laughing Hyaenas opening for Sonic Youth around 1990.

Butthole Surfers opening for Stone Temple Pilots.

St. Vitus opening for Black Flag in '85. Though I saw Flag the year before and a few other times during the Rollins era and they generally smoked, St. Vitus ruled that night. I may have been the only one in the audience who was digging them as all the punks in the crowd couldn't get on with this bunch of longhair metalloids.

Oh, and The Flaming Lips opening for Candlebox of all bands.

• Members

Tough to say. Saw Dokken twice and they were great. Saw Garbage open for Smashing Pumpkins and they were great as well, but...

Metallica was the 2nd band on a 5-band list for the Monsters of Rock tour. They kicked some serious ass.

• Members

St. Vitus opening for Black Flag in '85. Though I saw Flag the year before and a few other times during the Rollins era and they generally smoked, St. Vitus ruled that night. I may have been the only one in the audience who was digging them as all the punks in the crowd couldn't get on with this bunch of longhair metalloids.

Yeah, I remember that tour. It was interesting cause it was just before the punks & the metalheads started to meld together - definately two seperate camps at the time. Rollins confused everyone by playing a tape with Sabbath, Zeppelin & other "metal" between bands. He's in the back rocking out to the tunes and all the punks didn't know what to do. They're like "is this cool cause Henry likes it? or is Henry uncool? should I like it? should I let anyone else know I like it?" Unfortunately St. Vitus absolutely blew that night - really horrible. Black Flag raged though.

(drink....drink....drink....drink...don't think....drive....kill.......)

• Members

I would have to say Arch Enemy when I saw them open for Opeth. I know that's not really the vein of bands that people are talking about already, but it really impressed me and I bought their album soon afterwards. Of course, Opeth killed them in my opinion because they are way up there in my favorite bands, but they were still good. Also, Dying Fetus and Necrophagist opening for Cannibal Corpse.

Definately. Arch Enemy are great live.

Just DT were better :D

• Members

Honestly, I have seen good big support acts but the best one I have seen are a roots band (not my usual taste) called Uncle Earl supporting the Flecktones in Glasgow! They really warmed up that audience! Also have 5 ladies singing harmonies and playing banjo, guitar, mandolin, tap dancing, double bass, and fiddle is one hell of a sight! :love:

• Members

Annihilator opening for Trivium
:mad:

God damn, that still makes me mad
:mad:

They were playing here not so long ago. I'm not a fan of trivium's albums, but when they opened for maiden they got the "plesantly suprised" vote from me.

Not a patch on maiden of course...

Archived