5 string GAS... burning bad

asdfjkl semi

• Members

Been hunting around on ebay for a Jazz bass V and I found this SX... thinking about pulling the trigger. Somebody talk me out of it.

sjb62413ts7.jpg
sjb62413ts2.jpg

Please

You are soooo in the WRONG PLACE to be asking for THAT kind of help! :eek:

Picture024.jpg

Drop that coin and slap that thang! (or pluck it or pick it or however you play)

• Members

Coming in here asking us to talk you out of buying an SX is like walking into a whore house and asking the madam to talk you out of paying for sex...
:rolleyes:

:eek: Let's change that just a little, it's like asking other satisfied "customers" to talk you out of paying for "services"! :thu:

• Members

You are soooo in the WRONG PLACE to be asking for THAT kind of help!
:eek:

Picture024.jpg

Drop that coin and slap that thang! (or pluck it or pick it or however you play)

Thanks for the backup, guys.

So is it really a decent instrument? If it's at least as good as a Squier, I'm sold.

I've heard some good things about Rondo stuff before, but I'm also looking at some used MIMs in the $200 range.

• Members

Coming in here asking us to talk you out of buying an SX is like walking into a whore house and asking the madam to talk you out of paying for sex...
:rolleyes:

JC, thanks for the warning. Hey, I checked out your music. Pretty cool and diverse stuff. Is that all you or is that you with your band?

• Members

So is it really a decent instrument? If it's at least as good as a Squier, I'm sold.

I've heard some good things about Rondo stuff before, but I'm also looking at some used MIMs in the $200 range.

From what I've heard, these SXs are better than Squier. I'm an MIM and Jap guy myself (two Yammies and an MIM Jazz), but the guys on this forum have had nothing but kind words for these basses as excellent values and good players.

• Members

olpnatural5stringbj2.jpg

:D

The OLP isn't bad for what it is.

I've never played a real MM, so, I don't know what I'm missing or if MMs are really that much better, but, the thing plays well and sounds good enough.

• Members

olpnatural5stringbj2.jpg

The OLP isn't bad for what it is.

I've never played a real MM, so, I don't know what I'm missing or if MMs are really that much better, but, the thing plays well and sounds good enough.

I said MIM, as in Fender made in Mexico.

Ernie ball Music man >> my budget

• Members

Somebody talk me out of it.

Please

If you buy that bass I will personally come to your house, smash it over your head until it's in splinters, then reach down your throat, grab your intestines and pull them out of your mouth. I'm 6'2'' and weigh 300+ lbs.

That help dissuade you any? :D

Seriously-- it's probably a good deal but I went full circle through 5s and 6s and fretlesses and now will just be happy to sling a 4 string again. It's all I need.

Good luck with your GAS.

• Members

OK, here;s the skinny. I am a guitarist learning bass. I don't pay a lot for my guitars (I love Rondo). My first bass was a Yamaha BB404 (right end below, all of the other basses are Rondo's):

Picture002.jpg

After having bought a good inexpensive guitar from Rondo and reading reviews here I tried one of their basses, the sunburst 5 string SX jazz. After changing strings and setting it up, my Yamaha quickly became my backup bass. The weakest point on this bass are the tuners, IMO. But they work and they get the job done, they just bind in spots.

I have never considered a Fender, why pay more than I have to? I have never picked up a jazz in a store that made me wish I hadn't bought mine. The only change I am considering is a bridge change. Not becuase the current one doesn't work, but because I like badass style bass bridges. I liked it so much, I bought another to put flats on (the natural one in my first pic)!

• Members

If you buy that bass I will personally come to your house, smash it over your head until it's in splinters, then reach down your throat, grab your intestines and pull them out of your mouth. I'm 6'2'' and weigh 300+ lbs.

That help dissuade you any?

Seriously-- it's probably a good deal but I went full circle through 5s and 6s and fretlesses and now will just be happy to sling a 4 string again. It's all I need.

Good luck with your GAS.

Thanks dude. The auction ends in 2 hours and I've managed to not "Buy it Now!" yet. I really want it but should probably save my money. I'll keep you posted.

Are Fender and Warmoth necks and other parts compatible with this thing, anyway?

• Members

OK, here;s the skinny. I am a guitarist learning bass. I don't pay a lot for my guitars (I love Rondo). My first bass was a Yamaha BB404 (right end below, all of the other basses are Rondo's):

Picture002.jpg

After having bought a good inexpensive guitar from Rondo and reading reviews here I tried one of their basses, the sunburst 5 string SX jazz. After changing strings and setting it up, my Yamaha quickly became my backup bass. The weakest point on this bass are the tuners, IMO. But they work and they get the job done, they just bind in spots.

I have never considered a Fender, why pay more than I have to? I have never picked up a jazz in a store that made me wish I hadn't bought mine. The only change I am considering is a bridge change. Not becuase the current one doesn't work, but because I like badass style bass bridges. I liked it so much, I bought another to put flats on (the natural one in my first pic)!

Dabbler, thanks for the commentns. I was already looking at some tuner upgrades from Fender or Wilkinson.

• Members

JC, thanks for the warning. Hey, I checked out your music. Pretty cool and diverse stuff. Is that all you or is that you with your band?

Thanks! It's me and one other guy. He does the guitar work and some of the vocals and drums...I do all the bass work, keys, some of the drums and vocals.

• Members

Thanks! It's me and one other guy. He does the guitar work and some of the vocals and drums...I do all the bass work, keys, some of the drums and vocals.

Right on, man. Are you guys planning on getting another guy or two and playing out at all?

BTW, are you using an SX on any of those tracks by any chance? :)

• Members

I just got this ATK305 on Wednesday and it is one hell of a sweet Bass and very versatile too.

I was in a store last Friday and campared this to a real stingray and the OLP copy, and this (for me) was a standout.

You could probably get your hands on one of these for around $700-$800 USD.

The tripple coil pickup is the highlight with being able to instantly select some great tones from smooth as silk to nice punchy aggressive sounds.

ATK305.jpg

• Moderators

Oh. I had thought OLP was a brand.

It is a brand. They must have figured the best way to tell people they are not some knockoff is to make the brand name "OLP" or "Officially Licensed Product."

• Members

Right on, man. Are you guys planning on getting another guy or two and playing out at all?

BTW, are you using an SX on any of those tracks by any chance?
:)

Unfortunately no to both questions. I used my Carvin exclusively on that CD...and the other guy is DEATHLY afraid of playing live...he's "not good enough". :rolleyes:

Archived