Anyone have advice for packing a cab?

Phantasm

• Members

I've got two cabs to ship and the UPS store wants $55 to pack both of them. I can probably get some boxes here at work.

Does anyone have any guidelines for packing a speaker cab to ship? I know that I want to put a few layers of cardboard in front of the grill to keep it from being punctured, but do I need to cushion the other sides of the cab in some fashion or just wrap it in cardboard?

• Members

I've got two cabs to ship and the UPS store wants $55 to pack both of them. I can probably get some boxes here at work.

Does anyone have any guidelines for packing a speaker cab to ship? I know that I want to put a few layers of cardboard in front of the grill to keep it from being punctured, but do I need to cushion the other sides of the cab in some fashion or just wrap it in cardboard?

Have you investigated shipping Greyhound? They're faster and not as rough as UPS for the same price. Protecting the grill and wrapping in cardboard works for them.

• Members

Do you think the corners would be sufficient, or should I go for more?

I'd put as much in as you possibly can. this is coming from someone who worked for Fed Ex twice. They are full of {censored} when they say they handle that stuff with care. It amazes me that anything at all makes it through unscathed

• Members

The bus company?

Yep, you have to take it to them and the receiver has to go pick it up but it's the best way I've found to ship bulky stuff. Plus it's damn quick. My dad shipped his computer to me from SoCal and it arrived in Albuquerque early the next morning. That cost about $18.00.

• Members

Just fyi, I shipped my old Hartke 4.5XL via Mailboxes, Etc. It cost me quite a lot, and they ended up not packing as well as they had promised. It ended up getting damaged, and it was a PITA to get any claim money. In fact, I don't even recall if I ever got any claim money out of 'em...

• Members

Dave at Avatar uses slightly oversized boxes and puts a bunch of folded pieces of cardboard in the corners. I was kind of blown away when I got my cabs like that but, thinking about, it's a pretty good idea. If I was to ship a cab, I'd do that same thing.

• Members

, you have to take it to them and the receiver has to go pick it up but it's the best way I've found to ship bulky stuff. Plus it's damn quick. My dad shipped his computer to me from SoCal and it arrived in Albuquerque early the next morning. That cost about $18.00.

That's interesting I had no idea they did that

• Members

Dave at Avatar uses slightly oversized boxes and puts a bunch of folded pieces of cardboard in the corners. I was kind of blown away when I got my cabs like that but, thinking about, it's a pretty good idea. If I was to ship a cab, I'd do that same thing.

+1. I still have the box my 2x12s came in in case i ever sold one of my cabs and needed to ship it

Archived