So how long...

bringtherock

• Members

...did it take you geezers to acquire a good, solid amount of gear? It's been about 19 months since the day I laid my hands on a bass guitar, and I've finally put in enough cash money to feel like i'm on solid ground. I've spaced it out, but i've bought three basses, a practice amp, an ampeg head, and most recently an ampeg 410 cab since august of 2005.

At the same time it's felt like decades. It's not like i was rolling in the dough before, and as a broke college kid, i never had enough to drop on the whole package at one time.

Any comments/concerns/questions?

:wave:

• Members

I have 3 basses, 2 heads and 2 cabs. Is that considered a solid amount of gear Whatever the case, I've been cycling through gear for about 5 or 6 years. After you make the initial investments, you can pretty much try exchange by buying and selling and check out pretty much anything you that you want to...providing you have a *very* understanding spouse.

• Members

It only took me a couple of years but it was all used gear (except for cables and picks etc). 2 years ago was my first investment in any brand new gear, prior to that I did a lot of swapping and changing to get better gear, each time only having to add a small amount of cash to the money I'd made selling the previous piece of gear. With older used gear the prices don't really depreciate much if it's in working order.

• Members

First got a bass and a crappy practise amp about eleven years ago or thereabouts. Actually, the bass was crappy too. I was still at school and using their gear mostly, with the loan of the guitarist's Dad's PA for gigs.

Traded up to a slightly less crappy bass a couple of years later, but still no proper amp.

Formed a band last summer and initially used the drummer's old bass amp which he fortnuately had lying around. Finally got myself a respectable bass last year and a proper amp about a month ago.

So no, you haven't taken too long... :)

• Members

took me a few years.....but I started when I was 16 and wasn't working..... so it was hard... though my first bass was a Yamaha RBX800a I got second hand...... I didn't get a real amp till a few years later when I got my Hartke Kickback 12..... that served me well for about 4 years then I got in a band that had two guitarist with mesa boogies..... poor hartke couldn't keep up... upgraded to an Ashdown MAG300 head and Hartke VX410 cab...

• Members

I would say I have a good solid amount of gear - 4 basses and 3 rigs (small, medium, large). Plus guitar gear, recording gear, PA gear, keys, drums, etc. But it's never enough. It's called teh GAS.

I don't feel too bad about it tho - in the past I've bought things that I'll lose $ on if I sell them, but lately I've been viewing it as part of my investment portfolio. I have a couple of simple criteria for buying guitars and amps:

1. Buy used.

2. Could I sell it tomorrow for more than I'm buying it for today?

3. Will it increase in value over time?

If it meets these 3 criteria, then, usually, I'll buy it. This works great for guitars, basses, and tube amps, but you'll almost always lose $ on live sound and recording gear.

• Members

I started playing when I was 15. I saved my gig money and had a job after school, and by age 17 I had a Ric 4001, a fretless 4001 and a Lab Series 100 watt rig.

I've gone through a half dozen rigs and about 30 basses since then. I guess it took me that long to find the gear I liked best. Now I've got six basses (all keepers), a nice tube head and 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. I think I'm set. :D

• Members

I've been playing for about 16 years, and I've gone through the following list of gear (as much as I can remember)

BASSES

Kay short-scale P

MIM Fender Fender Jazz

Samick Stingray copy

Peavey T-40

Ibanez SR-800

Ibanez SRX700

Modded SX/Moses P/J

EBMM Stingray 5

EBMM Stingray 4

JAF Minuteman 4

JAF Eidas 4

Fender Aerodyne Jazz

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

Warwick Corvette 5

G&L L-2500

Peavey Cirrus 5

EBMM Sterling

MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe

AMPS and CABS

Quantum combo

Acoustic B450

Carvin Pro-Bass 500

Carvin R-1000

Ampeg B4R

Trace Elliot V-6

Genz Benz GBE1200

Mesa Boogie Bass 400+

Trace Elliot 1048H

Traynor 2x15

Kustom 2x15

Aguilar GS212

Ampeg SVT410HLF

Peavey 412TVX

Ampeg 8x10

Gallien Krueger SBX410 and SBX115

Bag End D12-C

and I'm not even going to try and recall all of the pedals I've bought, sold and swapped around in those years...

out of that entire list, the only stuff i currently own is:

JAF Eidas 4

MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe

EBMM Sterling

Mesa Bass 400+

Bag End D12-C

and the GK cabs

of course, I'm a total gear whore, so... YMMV :)

• Members

man....it's really amazing how much gear you can go thorugh over time..... I'm really glad my first bass was a keeper...I've bought and sold a few but never that one....I can't part with it...even though I play more guitar now than bass...I refuse to get rid of it...

• Members

I've been playing for almost 17 years now...check the link in my signature.

In that time I've also had another head and 2x15 cabinet that I have sold...two basses that I have sold...and a POS Crate practice amp that I sold. Other than those things, I have everything I've ever purchased.

• Members

I played trombone in school band...dropped that and took up piano, where I started writing. I worked retail at the local mall mostly, never partied much, and by the time I was in college I had a Yamaha DX11 synth, Yamaha RX17 drum machine, Alesis MMT8 MIDI sequencer & a Digitech DSP128 signal processor.

By the time I dropped out of college all that stuff was gone. :D

At that point, I owned a Roland D50 synth, Ensoniq EPS sampler/workstation, Boss DR550 drum machine, Peavey 8 ch. mixer, Carvin 400W power amp, and a Cerwin Vega 1x15 & horn cab. :cool:

• Members

I started playing when I was 13. I started out with a borrowed shortscale POS bass and a borrowed combo from my father's friend with way too much equipment. I was given a Jazz bass for my birthday a few months later. Back then I had a paper route, and mowed 5-10 lawns a week, so I was able to save up and buy a used Peavey Mark III amp and a 1820 cab. I used that rig through college, adding one bass to the arsenal when I was 20 or 21 (Ibanez EDB600).

Since then I've gotten a lot more serious about bass, and I have a real job so I've been able to afford a better (and lighter!) rig, and better basses.

• Members

I've had a total of two basses (that I still have), two combos (still have one of them though it sucks) and three cabs and three amps, of whicj I still have one each. I have five pedals and I used to have two more. And let's see guitars: I own an acoustic and an electric and I had an electric before the one I have now. That's it I guess...

• Members

I got {censored} packed away somewhere in the basement (pedals, books, cords). Been in this house for 6 years and still haven't unpacked all those boxes and containers. :o

I did find some Bass books at my moms house; they are like $1.75 retail price on 'em...thats some old {censored} right there.

Archived