OT: The "Where Should I Live" thread (2007 Hurricane Preparedness Version)

Phantasm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The evacuation during Rita in 2005 was much worse than a hurricane is.

The problem was Houston was unprepared for an evacuation. They had a plan, but hadn't practiced or thought it through. First problem was when you mobilize that number of people, you got to have the fuel to get them down the road. Secondly, you absolutely need to use both sides of the highway for out bound traffic. The frontage roads are enough for those needing to drive in-bound (emergency folks, etc.). Lastly, they needed to control the direction people were going. They should have forced most go up 45, Northwest, or West on 10. Allowing Houston to go Northeast on 59 was a mistake. It eventually merged with all the traffic from Beaumont heading North and then there was no room for ANYONE to move. I think they learned a few things, and the State has gotten involved to help coordinate evacuation routes in the future. Beaumont's evacuation was actually pretty good, even though we had some slow moving traffic due to the back up related to the traffic on 59. But we had a real live practice 2 years earlier with Lily, which missed us. The town evacuated anyway for the weekend, so we know our evac. plan works well.

• Members

The problem was Houston was unprepared for an evacuation. They had a plan, but hadn't practiced or thought it through. First problem was when you mobilize that number of people, you got to have the fuel to get them down the road. Secondly, you absolutely need to use both sides of the highway for out bound traffic. The frontage roads are enough for those needing to drive in-bound (emergency folks, etc.). Lastly, they needed to control the direction people were going. They should have forced most go up 45, Northwest, or West on 10. Allowing Houston to go Northeast on 59 was a mistake. It eventually merged with all the traffic from Beaumont heading North and then there was no room for ANYONE to move. I think they learned a few things, and the State has gotten involved to help coordinate evacuation routes in the future. Beaumont's evacuation was actually pretty good, even though we had some slow moving traffic due to the back up related to the traffic on 59. But we had a real live practice 2 years earlier with Lily, which missed us. The town evacuated anyway for the weekend, so we know our evac. plan works well.

The biggest problem was people on the north side of Houston were evacuating. There really is no need for anyone more than about 25 miles from the coastline to evacute.

• Members

The biggest problem was people on the north side of Houston were evacuating. There really is no need for anyone more than about 25 miles from the coastline to evacute.

Yes.

Also the news media was on every channel saying that the storm surge was going to be up to the 610-Loop. Peoples emotions were played upon.

They have already started the fear campaign this year also. There are signs on the Freeways around town today sayin KEEP YOUR VEHICLE FULL OF FUEL, IT'S HURRICANE SEASON.

Somebody profits from this. Pandering to a situation that MAY happen.

I know that I evacuated because of fear. I do not want to make that type of decision based on my emotions, it needs to be made based on truth and facts and logic......IMO

• Members

How's the music scene there?

I don't live there and have only visited a few times, so I'm not sure about the music scene. I do know that it is hot though. And there are lots of fine looking ladies.

• Members

Got time for a meetup ? Or are you going down south ?

A meetup would be totally cool but we'll be down south near Grenoble. We're spending a few days there and then heading down to Emilia-Romagna for about a week, back up to Grenoble for a few days and then home. I'd love to hit Paris again, but it's not in the plans this for this trip. Gotta figure out a way to get back there for business.

• Members

Well, we had our little meeting at work about this hurricane season and what I'll have to do for work in the event of an evacuation of New Orleans.

This got me thinking, in the event that my house would flood again I don't think I'll be coming back!

So half serious, half for fun, where should I move if the waters return to claim my home again? Here are my parameters:

1) I don't like the extreme cold. (Though I did like Minnesota when I visited.)

2) I don't like earthquakes. (And living in California is really expensive.)

3) I work in the Information Technology field. (And so does my wife...)

4) Hopefully there is some sort of music scene wherever I go. (Rock music preferred...)

5) Obviously I'm going to look for an area that my house is very unlikely to flood. (I don't like Ice, and I've been tormented by water, I'll take my chances with fire...)

Any suggestions?

Portland.

• Members

:mad:
(shhhhhhhhhh!)

...uhm,

Portland is really crappy. You don't want to live here. It rains a bunch and everything that isn't faceless suburbia either smells like hippies or yuppies.

:o

ROFL.

Yes! That's it! We don't have an exceedingly temperate climate that only flexes about 40-45 degrees from winter to summer!

We don't have countless breweries and are renown for our beer!

We don't have zero sales tax, saving us tons of cash on bass guitars, cars etc..

It rains here 24/7 oh ya. And -everybody- owns umbrellas.

The roads are filthy and crappy, and there's rust on cars.

There are no good Blues Festivals that come around every summer.. and no beer festivals.

And we have the WORST public transportation in the country.

hehe stay way! :mad: Portland is the worst! :p

• Members

ROFL.

Yes! That's it! We don't have an exceedingly temperate climate that only flexes about 40-45 degrees from winter to summer!

We don't have zero sales tax, saving us tons of cash on bass guitars, cars etc..

There are no good Blues Festivals that come around every summer.. and no beer festivals.

hehe stay way!
Portland is the worst!
:p

Yeah! Portland sucks!

:o

(BTW... true portlanders aren't allowed to carry umbrellas. That's how we spot californians.)

• Members

You are in tech and you don't like cold and you are not even considering Silicon Valley? We have fewer earthquakes than the Gulf Coast has hurricanes. 50 degrees is considered cold. We have a major music scene. It rains far less than Seattle/Portland....

On the flip side, $500,000 will get you a nice 1 bedroom with a view of a garage. (Not your own garage, of course.) Oh,well. Pick your own poison.

• Members

ROFL.

hehe stay way!
Portland is the worst!

Well, it rains here all the time already, I wouldn't take public transportation unless I was ready to take my life into my own hands, and the roads are sinking. It sounds like it would be a straight across trade on some levels!

• Members

ROFL.

hehe stay way!
Portland is the worst!

Wow, I don't remember Portland being so much like Detroit when I was there :D

• Members

Just get on the right side of the levy. My brother lives in Destrehan and they suffered no damage from Katrina. Their levyies and pumps were relatively new and worked like they were supposed to. As an aside, he was thinking of moving to Denver before this winter (snow:eek: )

• Members

Really doesn't matter where you go.

Phoenix area will eventually be annexed by mexico.

Seattle area will have volcanoes and super volcanoes in the near future.

Vegas will be radioactive.

Denver will have the giant volcanoe that is now bubbling under Yellowstone.

And we're all gonna die from global warming. So, why would you move.

Now, did I cheer you up? :thu:;)

• Members

France is pretty safe.

Just so long as you don't live near one of the places that has the riots I guess:

The election of French President Nicholas Sarkozy on 6 May was not just greeted by stage-managed celebrations in central Paris. Rioting erupted across the rest of France, starting in Paris' disaffected and impoverished banlieues.

These impoverished and immigrant dominated suburbs, built of gritty high-rise social projects, have become a by-word for disaffection and exclusion. The cites, as the estates are known, have become the incubators of violence as a generation of young men are let down by the Republic.

Youths, mostly from the banlieues, screaming "Sarkozy

• Members

The only difference between detroit and portland is we can't win a basketball tournament.

We're celebrating our 30th anniversary of our last one this year (1977 baby).

And Detroit did SUCH a bang-up job this year against the Cavs.

HAHA!!!

Screw you 'Sheed for leavin' PDX!

Archived