OT: The "Where Should I Live" thread (2007 Hurricane Preparedness Version)

Phantasm

• Members

Well, we had our little meeting at work about this hurricane season and what I'll have to do for work in the event of an evacuation of New Orleans.

This got me thinking, in the event that my house would flood again I don't think I'll be coming back!

So half serious, half for fun, where should I move if the waters return to claim my home again? Here are my parameters:

1) I don't like the extreme cold. (Though I did like Minnesota when I visited.)

2) I don't like earthquakes. (And living in California is really expensive.)

3) I work in the Information Technology field. (And so does my wife...)

4) Hopefully there is some sort of music scene wherever I go. (Rock music preferred...)

5) Obviously I'm going to look for an area that my house is very unlikely to flood. (I don't like Ice, and I've been tormented by water, I'll take my chances with fire...)

Any suggestions?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Las Vegas, NV

That's actually on my list, I just don't know how many tech jobs are there.

I had an offer to interview at UNLV a few years ago and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone out to take a look around.

• Members

How about the Portland or Seattle area?

That's another area I've considered, I have a friend that went there after Katrina and she loves it. She's got a band up and running out there and everything.

• Members

other than the cold portion, Salt Lake City meets all of your qualifications, and has some of the lowest un-employment rates in the country. Quite a few tech jobs to be found here as well.

Can a non-Mormon guy who grew up in Catholic country with long hair make it in Salt Lake? :) Just asking. I have never been there or even seen pictures, I just think about Mormons when I hear about Salt Lake City.

• Members

That's actually on my list, I just don't know how many tech jobs are there.

I had an offer to interview at UNLV a few years ago and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone out to take a look around.

I think that area is home to some of the fastest job growth in nearly all sectors. Well, except for levee repair.

It's a pretty cool town and it's much easier than most folks think to avoid the things that immediately come to mind when you hear the words "Las Vegas".

• Members

New York, though the cost of living can get pretty high. It can get cold, but not too bad, not like Minnesota, I visit a few times a year. Texas is pretty nice, I dont think they get hurricanes on the western side of the state. The Nevada/Arizona region is pretty nice if you can put up with the heat.

• Members

Can a non-Mormon guy who grew up in Catholic country with long hair make it in Salt Lake?
:)
Just asking. I have never been there or even seen pictures, I just think about Mormons when I hear about Salt Lake City.

if a long haired, tattooed mofu from San Diego can make it here, anybody can. SLC is actually about 50/50 with mormons to non-mormons.

• Members

No. Come to Texas! Depending on your music scene, you can pick from Austin to Houston, to Dallas. Still like cajun music and Louisiana culture? Then live in Beaumont. Want hills and no hurricanes, go to Austin or San Antonio and the "hill country." Want big cities? we've got at least 3: Houston, Dallas and Ft. Worth, and San Antonio. Want smaller towns -- the world to pick from and they're all near a big city (unless you get to the western part of the state. Plenty of tech in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Want to live near the ocean and a beach? Go to Corpus Christi and South Padre Island. Can't commit to Texas? Try Texarkana, Texoma, Lake Texoma, or Texico (in New Mexico on the border). Sports fan? 2 NFL, 3 NBA, 2 MLB, Great collegiate sports, and even minor league stuff elsewhere. Lastly, NO STATE INCOME TAX!

• Members

No. Come to Texas! Depending on your music scene, you can pick from Austin to Houston, to Dallas. Still like cajun music and Louisiana culture? Then live in Beaumont. Want hills and no hurricanes, go to Austin or San Antonio and the "hill country." Want big cities? we've got at least 3: Houston, Dallas and Ft. Worth, and San Antonio. Want smaller towns -- the world to pick from and they're all near a big city (unless you get to the western part of the state. Plenty of tech in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. Want to live near the ocean and a beach? Go to Corpus Christi and South Padre Island. Can't commit to Texas? Try Texarkana, Texoma, Lake Texoma, or Texico (in New Mexico on the border). Sports fan? 2 NFL, 3 NBA, 2 MLB, Great collegiate sports, and even minor league stuff elsewhere. Lastly, NO STATE INCOME TAX!

I did visit Austin and I liked it a lot. It would also be relatively close to home.

Dallas was WAAAAAY too big, but we do have friends there that could help us get started.

• Members

Don't rule out Chicago. Yeah...yeah...I know it's cold but it's not that cold. I grew up in GA and prefer it here as Chicago kicks mucho azz.

I would like to visit Chicago. My nephew plays a lot of hockey tournaments there and one of these days I'll get to take a week off and go to one and check out the city while I'm there.

• Members

Man that place sounds awesome!:thu:

Actually, Living in the area only 10 miles away from the houston ship channel has been bothering me.

I want to go up to the north side of the Houston area, far enough away so that I really do not need to worry about the evacuations.

The evacuation during Rita in 2005 was much worse than a hurricane is. I stayed in my parents home at 16 years old during hurricane Alicia in 1981, and rode out the storm.:blah:

Archived