I gotta question...

allan grossman

• Members

2 different questions IMO.

If their parents enter the country illegally, they should be deported and the kids should go with them.

If their parents are unemployed and on welfare, then the kids already have government assistance.

• Members

2 different questions IMO.

If their parents enter the country illegally, they should be deported and the kids should go with them.

If their parents are unemployed and on welfare, then the kids already have government assistance.

What if the kid's a citizen but the parents aren't?

• Members

People make bad choices in life and, many times, others suffer because of those bad choices. Children are the direct responsibility of the parent, not the state and when parent's make bad choices, their children often pay the price. Sucks but that's the way life works. The only other thing to do is to remove the kids from the parent's care.

• Members

Now that I've lured you in here...

Should children be denied healthcare, an education or assistance with food or clothing because their parents choose to remain unemployed or to enter the country illegally? Why or why not?

Should would be parents that cannot provide for all of their children's needs be permitted to have children?

Should those of us who are responsible parents, fully support our children, and pay huge tax bills already, be compelled to pay even more taxes to subsidize other peoples irresponsible behavior?

When you reward a behavior you get more of it.

That pretty much sums up what is wrong with many "social" programs.

I would argue that it is the job of churchs and private charities to help out the poor, not the taxpayer.

• Members

I would argue that it is the job of churchs and private charities to help out the poor, not the taxpayer.

Maybe so - but we're still in the weeds here. If we assume the kid is legal and already in the country do we penalize him for a parent's choices?

And yeah, I know it's a loaded question - kinda like one of those 'when did you stop beating your wife' kinda things :rolleyes:

• Members

What's this got to do with anything? What I asked was whether children should be penalized for their parents' choices.

should they? no. Are they and will they always be? Yes. That is the nature of things.

I'm not sure I consider a kid getting sick or going to bed hungry irresponsible. Your thoughts?

Sick, probably not. hungry? absolutely. It is a parents job to provide food and shelter for their child. If they aren't doing that they are irresponsible.

Maybe so - but we're still in the weeds here. If we assume the kid is legal and already in the country do we penalize him for a parent's choices?

no. we penalize the parents by removing the kid and placing him/her in a better situation where they ar least get 3 hots and a cot.

And yeah, I know it's a loaded question - kinda like one of those 'when did you stop beating your wife' kinda things
:rolleyes:

:D

• Members

no. we penalize the parents by removing the kid and placing him/her in a better situation where they ar least get 3 hots and a cot.

Goes back to my original post. I don't think we should penalize a kid for a parent's poor decisions. Children are not capable of being responsible for their own welfare and well-being. Nor are they responsible for their own existence. No child deserves to be left to die of illness and hunger, regardless of the situations that got them to that point. I believe that society should come to the aid of these children, the old "It takes a village to raise a child" proverb.

I'm NOT saying that the current system is correct however. I don't have the final answer, but we should not be "rewarding" the parents' poor decisions, encouraging them to continue to make them. At the same time, the children cannot be neglected, and you cannot blame them for their parents illegal or irresponsible actions.

Archived