I gotta question...

allan grossman

• Members

Goes back to my original post. I don't think we should penalize a kid for a parent's poor decisions. Children are not capable of being responsible for their own welfare and well-being. Nor are they responsible for their own existence. No child deserves to be left to die of illness and hunger, regardless of the situations that got them to that point. I believe that society should come to the aid of these children, the old "It takes a village to raise a child" proverb.

I'm NOT saying that the current system is correct however. I don't have the final answer, but we should not be "rewarding" the parents' poor decisions, encouraging them to continue to make them. At the same time, the children cannot be neglected, and you cannot blame them for their parents illegal or irresponsible actions.

Which is why I advocate removing the kid from the home. If the parents can't provide adequate care, then they should not be raising a child.

• Members

Sending the child back with the parents is not necessarily a death sentence!

If a is born in the U.S. to parents here legally, then so be it, but if the parents are here illegally, their illegal status must be dealt with. Courts are loathe to remove children from parents for any reason, so the kids should go as well. Provided there are not sound reasons to avoid repatriating the parent (Cuba, although this did not save Elian Gonzalez), this is a legal course of action, and not (necessarily) immoral.

• Members

Sending the child back with the parents is not necessarily a death sentence!

If a is born in the U.S. to parents here legally, then so be it, but if the parents are here illegally, their illegal status must be dealt with. Courts are loathe to remove children from parents for any reason, so the kids should go as well. Provided there are not sound reasons to avoid repatriating the parent (Cuba, although this did not save Elian Gonzalez), this is a legal course of action, and not (necessarily) immoral.

Actually it is illegal to deport a US citizen unless they renounce their citizenship - which is something that cannot be legally accomplished by an unemancipated minor. Elian Gonzalez wasn't a US citizen.

• Members

What if the kid's a citizen but the parents aren't?

The parents should be deported and it is up to them, as parents, to determine what is in the best interest of their child; taking the child with them or leaving the child to reap the benefits of living in the U.S.A.

(Can you say Elian Gonzales?).

• Members

Actually it is illegal to deport a US citizen unless they renounce their citizenship - which is something that cannot be legally accomplished by an unemancipated minor. Elian Gonzalez wasn't a US citizen.

I'm not suggesting deporting the kid. Deport the parents. 9 times out of 10 they will take the kid with them by choice.

• Members

Goes back to my original post. I don't think we should penalize a kid for a parent's poor decisions.

There is no "we". Again, children are the responsibility of the parents. People make bad decisions and people suffer for those bad decisions. When it hits the point at which the children are severely neglected or abused, then the state steps in but not until. Sometimes it sucks beyond belief but the only way around it is giving the state the responsibliity for all aspects of a children's well being, no exceptions.

• Members

But, because he had set foot on U.S. soil, he had met the requirement to not be sent back to Cuba. The law was violated in a "special case". I believe the illegal parents issue should also be a "special case".

• Members

Goes back to my original post. I don't think we should penalize a kid for a parent's poor decisions. Children are not capable of being responsible for their own welfare and well-being. Nor are they responsible for their own existence. No child deserves to be left to die of illness and hunger, regardless of the situations that got them to that point. I believe that society should come to the aid of these children, the old "It takes a village to raise a child" proverb.

I'm NOT saying that the current system is correct however. I don't have the final answer, but we should not be "rewarding" the parents' poor decisions, encouraging them to continue to make them. At the same time, the children cannot be neglected, and you cannot blame them for their parents illegal or irresponsible actions.

Contributing to the care and cost of maintaining the less fortunate should be a matter of personal choice and conscience in a free society, not mandated and supported thru the Government system of taxation.

Archived