Saw something cool last night...rig related

Thunderbroom

• Members

Went to the Nascar Fan Day in town as the big race is Sunday. The department I work for at my college got some space on the sidewalk to pass out some literature about our programs and one of my colleague's son races on the local circuit so he brought his car out.

First...this place was packed. I was there for 5 hours and am guessing that well over 40,000 people passed through. There was a couple of bands playing: one on a large stage and one on a tiny stage about 3 blocks from each other. Both bands were cover bands and I though each was really good.

I picked up something cool from the bassist on the large stage. He was rocking a Warwick/Thunderfunk/Ampeg 410 setup. What caught my eye was this:

thunderfunk01a.jpg

He has a piece of lightweight cloth over his cab. As the bass pumped, the cloth danced on in front of the speakers. I really liked the effect and plan to steal if for an upcoming gig.

• Members

I was also caught off guard when, during one of the band's breaks when some of the Nascar folks were on the mic talking racing, they mentioned the name of the band and the fact that they were from Nashville.

:eek:

They got a cover band to come from Nashville?!?

:freak:

I'm thinking maybe they travel the circuit during race season.

• Members

that's a LSD storage device , pretty sure ..

The guitarist in the pick was playing a strat that appeared to be reliced (though I guess it could have been used). He was playing through a Vox that did look to be about a billion years old. I'll post a pic when I get home if I think about it.

• Members

I actually thought of you when I saw the pic I posted. Put that chick in your logo on some fabric and stick it on the cab use use for a monitor: instant dancing chick.

Not a bad idea, but printing on a fabric light enough to dance is difficult and then the ink will probably make it too heavy to work as planned.

I'm probably going back to using a bass amp on stage. My mixer only has two monitor sends and I'm finding that using them both to run the front monitors is more effective than running only one monitor mix in the front.

• Members

I'm probably going back to using a bass amp on stage. My mixer only has two monitor sends and I'm finding that using them both to run the front monitors is more effective than running only one monitor mix in the front.

Good thing you didn't sell your rig.

• Members

The boys had all their amps and PA set up like that in Festival Express. Very cool.

03.jpg

Is the pic you posted the same idea as the one I posted?

It seems that the grill cloth on the amps you posted was changed. In the one I posted, the guy draped a cloth over the cab and set his rack on top.

• Members

Talk about splitting hairs...ha ha ha. Your version was just not as tidy.

Nah...I'm just thinking in your photo is cosmetics (my guitarist has fake fur as his amp's speaker cloth) whereby in mine the cloth was dancing/pulsing to his playing.

Archived