Steak

Thumper

• Members

So I've had a couple of rib eyes rubbed down with Montreal Steak Seasoning in the fridge since yesterday. I an hour or so, I'm going to pull them out, let them warm to room temp, and crank up the charcoal grill. I've got some nice mesquite hardwood charcoal (no briquets here) and a bottle of Panilonco Carmenere from Chile to go with it.

That is all. :D

• Members

I just can't bring myself to order steak when I go out to eat. I think, "why should I pay top dollar for something I can do a better job of grilling at home?" I normally marinade my rib eyes in Italian dressing for 24 hrs before cooking.

On that note, is there anything better than the fat on a rib eye? :thu:

• Members

I just can't bring myself to order steak when I go out to eat. I think, "why should I pay top dollar for something I can do a better job of grilling at home?" I normally marinade my rib eyes in Italian dressing for 24 hrs before cooking.

On that note, is there anything better than the fat on a rib eye?
:thu:

You answered your own question: Good beef does not require marinade, just a good fire. After experienceing truly amazing aged steaks, its the meat silly :)

• Members
You answered your own question: Good beef does not require marinade, just a good fire. After experienceing truly amazing aged steaks, its the meat silly
:)

Indeed. If you need to marinate a ribeye, you need to fire your butcher.

• Members

So I've had a couple of rib eyes rubbed down with Montreal Steak Seasoning in the fridge since yesterday. I an hour or so, I'm going to pull them out, let them warm to room temp, and crank up the charcoal grill. I've got some nice mesquite hardwood charcoal (no briquets here) and a bottle of Panilonco Carmenere from Chile to go with it.

That is all.
:D

I absolutely love Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I make some killer potatoes with it. Season 1 in. pieces of uncooked potatoes with Montreal and Olive Oil. Throw in an oven until tender, then at the last few minutes dab with a bit of butter and throw under the broiler for a few minutes. Absolutely KILLER.

How do you like the hardwood charcoal? Where do you buy it?

• Members

So are you saying you do not put any seasoning on a rib eye?

I haven't cooked rib-eye in awhile, but generally the better the cut of beef, the less it needs seasoned. Also, the better the cut, the less it needs to be cooked.

For example:

London broil does well in chili because you cook it for a long time so it becomes tender, and there's a lot of other ingredients.

Top sirloin with 20% marbling of fat only needs a little salt and pepper. Cooked medium rare... or even rare... will be the tenderest and tastiest steak you'll ever eat.

I'm making myself hungry!

• Members

I just can't comprehend meat with no additional seasoning. I marinade rib eye not to make it tender but to allow a little extra flavor to penetrate the steak. I cook them rare or medium rare.

I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and try one with no flavor added.

• Members

Has anyone here tried bison steak? I had a bison burger last week and I thought is was much better than hamburger. I gotta find me some bison steaks.

I've had bison burger and its pretty good. Normally I shoot a deer every hunting season and fry it in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease and a light breading of flour. :thu: If I'm worth a damn this year I'll get an elk too.

Possibly the best meat I've ever had were the tenderloins of an Oryx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx my dad shot on a special permit hunt in New Mexico.

• Members

I just can't comprehend meat with no additional seasoning. I marinade rib eye not to make it tender but to allow a little extra flavor to penetrate the steak. I cook them rare or medium rare.

I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and try one with no flavor added.

It has to be a good cut... I can't emphasize that enough. When I picked out my top sirloin, I looked at all the packs on the shelf and picked the one that had about 20% marbling of fat. I wish I had a picture to show you because it makes a huge difference. I buy London broils and tri-tips all the time, and those need some more seasoning. Occasionally a tri-tip will be good enough to just use salt and pepper, but not too often. And don't over cook it. IMO, it only works if you like at least medium rare.

Damn, now I'm even hungrier! When is the HCBF Bass Forum BBQ?

Archived