Steak

Thumper

• Members

Has anyone here tried bison steak? I had a bison burger last week and I thought is was much better than hamburger. I gotta find me some bison steaks.

Bison is tasty. It also has a very low fat content. Braising or slow-cooking might be better than grilling over high heat. I've used dry rubs on bison, elk and deer and had some good results. :love:

• Members

Has anyone here tried bison steak? I had a bison burger last week and I thought is was much better than hamburger. I gotta find me some bison steaks.

I ordered some through Peapod awhile ago. Absolutely delicious! You have to grill them though-no one way.

There are a ton of mail order bison steak companies.

• Members

Does anyone else like No Name Steaks? They're not going to be the best steak you've ever had, but for something you can prepare as easily as a TV dinner they're pretty darn good.

• Members

I just can't comprehend meat with no additional seasoning. I marinade rib eye not to make it tender but to allow a little extra flavor to penetrate the steak. I cook them rare or medium rare.

I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and try one with no flavor added.

I think that it all depends on what you like. I'm not really a steak lover but I know quite a few and they get really into the flavor and texture of the meat, not the meat plus seasonings. They also really frown on Filet Mignons -- it's really easy to cook a FM and keep the tenderness, (they don't have a lot of flavor either). It's much more difficult to cook a Ribeye or a Porterhouse so that you can cut it with your fork.

I live in CA and I guess our beef isn't that good. My sister and brother in law moved out to Iowa and they claim that the meat is absolutely amazing. Gotta have them send me some one day.

• Members

I like to marinate my steaks in oil and garlic for a few hours before cooking. I love the taste of garlic with steak...

Also, what's the deal with "angus" beef? It used to be a better grade of meat, but now its all you see anymore. They even have angus beef hot dogs for crying out loud!! I personally can't tell any difference. I figure its just a marketing thing.

• Members

I like to marinate my steaks in oil and garlic for a few hours before cooking. I love the taste of garlic with steak...

Also, what's the deal with "angus" beef? It used to be a better grade of meat, but now its all you see anymore. They even have angus beef hot dogs for crying out loud!! I personally can't tell any difference. I figure its just a marketing thing.

I think angus is a certain type of cow.

• Members

mmmmm Prime rib mmmmm Kobe beef.. i want to try Bison badly but i also wouldnt mind trying Emu or Venicine. Theres a resturant in New York that serves exotic meats and they had guirlla on it but it was crazy expensive and it was really tough. I like being able to cut my meat with a butter knife and it being nice and juicy. Then again sometimes i love to have it on a BBQ with nice sauce and to have it just a little pink in the middle.

The hardwood charcoal from my experiance is good but a pain becuase it takes a long time to light.

• Members

mmmmm Prime rib mmmmm Kobe beef.. i want to try Bison badly but i also wouldnt mind trying Emu or Venicine. Theres a resturant in New York that serves exotic meats and they had guirlla on it but it was crazy expensive and it was really tough. I like being able to cut my meat with a butter knife and it being nice and juicy. Then again sometimes i love to have it on a BBQ with nice sauce and to have it just a little pink in the middle.

The hardwood charcoal from my experiance is good but a pain becuase it takes a long time to light.

Gorillas are endangered. Are you sure they were serving gorilla meat?

Kobe is really good, I had it in Aruba. I was disappointed because they only had a flank cut, but it was still very good. I don't think I'll ever pay that price for a steak again though.

Archived