Give me some honest info on SX basses!

Noise...

• Members

I like my stock, plain jane, 120 buck P/J combo. It came slightly off, but set up quick and easy. It is a very playable, very versatle, so cheap almost expendable four stringer that is very easy on my conscience to recommend to others.

It is very similar in quality to my MIM Fender Jazz V, just doesn't say Fender on the headstock or get the same reaction from the kids that oogle the gear at gigs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What all did you have to upgrade?

Also, how close are the bodies to actual Fender shapes?

The Essex body is noticably thinner than a Fender. Less mass for tone, but my back ain't complainin'. :D
I upgraded...
the Bridge(Badass)
the nut(bone)
the pup(Bill Lawrence)
the pots(?)
the jack(Switchcraft)
the strap ends(they were from my MusicMan)
Strings in the pic were DR Peacock Blue coated, but I have GHS Briteflats installed at the moment. Gotta get a fresh set on her sometime soon.
I plan on a fret level along with a sanding to the back of the neck for playability. From there, I'd like to install Hipshot Ultralight tuners to improve balance.
I suppose after all that I'll finally replace the damn pickguard! :D

It's all been worth it tho, I play her all the time. :)

One of these days I'll have to post an MP3 of the hip hop tracks I did with her thru a Safe Sound P1. Brilliant! :)

• Members

Ok - how about different SX basses? Is there different quality between, say the $120 J bass and the $150 one? Is it just cosmetic differences?

The LTD models feature some improvements (according to the website): better fret work, heavier bridge, improved pups and tuners.

The body wood on the natural finish models is really nice for the price range.

Personally, I'd buy the $120 model and mod it according to my own preferences and budget.

• Members

i picked up a B-205 (the non fender rip off with soap bars) 6 years ago, gigged it as my #1 for 2-3 years without any mods. It is still completely stock and hangs on the wall in our rehearsal room, I use it to this day.

With the improvements that I've heard about I can easily say I'd buy another SX! Especially if I just needed an axe to get going on, that way you won't be out a lot of $$.

• Members

Ok...so most are saying that they're decent stock, good with mods, and nearly everyone is suggesting them.

Except Mike Fitzwell. Since you're the one guy who seems to out and out hate his SX bass, would you care to point out the flaws that would make it as bad as you say?

• Members

I bought one for my cousin and had it shipped to my house so I could make sure it wouldn't be a total piece of {censored} before giving it to him. I ended up liking it alot. I took it to Seattle & Vancouver on a trip with me. I had it in a case, but it travelled well, and actually flew well. First time I've ever taken a bass through the airport. I liked it so much I just bought this for myself the other day. Hopefully its on its way by now.

I need to find a tort guard for it. Anyone know where to get one?

sjb62cvyw1.jpg

• Members

Ok...so most are saying that they're decent stock, good with mods, and nearly everyone is suggesting them.

Except Mike Fitzwell. Since you're the one guy who seems to out and out hate his SX bass, would you care to point out the flaws that would make it as bad as you say?

Microphonic bridge pickup. Worst fret edges I've ever felt. Twist in the neck that's incurable. Glue smears under the clearcoat next to almost every position marker on the side of the neck.

The body seems nice. Tuners are fine. Bridge is ok.

• Members

Microphonic bridge pickup. Worst fret edges I've ever felt. Twist in the neck that's incurable. Glue smears under the clearcoat next to almost every position marker on the side of the neck.

The body seems nice. Tuners are fine. Bridge is ok.

Wow. You got a badun. Well, that's the thing with basses like these; quality control. I was pretty lucky. Mine has none of these issues.

• Members

Wow. You got a badun. Well, that's the thing with basses like these; quality control. I was pretty lucky. Mine has none of these issues.

Yes I sure did. I had a tech buddy work over the frets, which are better than when I first got it. But he can't do anything for the neck twist. So here it sits. Someday I'll grab a neck from somewhere and some pups and give it an extreme bass makeover.

64-ty3.jpg

• Members

I bought a PJ last December. With a truss rod adj to get rid of some 1st fret buzzes its fine. Very comfortable and sounds decent for what it is. As far as comparable to Squires, overall better woods, electronics, prob not.
Weakest point is the electronics, if the pots and jack were a little higher quality, I could prob live with the pickups. I'll prob change them all out someday. But for now it meets my needs. A bass to play if I get the call to play one. Woudn't have a problem gigging with it. Pots are a little scratchy, but not too bad. A shot of contact cleaner from Radio Shack helped a lot.

• Members

Ok, if I go for one it seems pretty unanimous that I should change the pots ASAP - which is what I'll do.

As for the other stuff (tuners, bridge, pups), I'll wait a while first and see how I like it nearly stock.

Mike, did you contact Rondo about your bass' issues? The neck seems to be the main problem. They would probably send you a replacement if you contacted them.

I'm checking out the different models now...I'll try to decide on one and maybe I'll go ahead and order. I may wait and check out the Squier VM's if I can find them first...unless the bass GAS just gets too bad.

Keep the info coming!

• Members

I can echo what most said. It was fine stock once I had new strings and a set up. I replaced the pots, wiring and jack shortly after as I had a wiring kit waiting for it. I later put on a Guitar jones Gotoh Bridge clone and threw in a N.O.S. Schaller made dimarzio clone p.u. I had laying around. However before any of that I gigged it stock for almost a year (30 shows) and made the cost back many times over. For the last 8 mths or so she was sitting in a rehersal studio serving me well once a week but was no longer gigging (I had my T-bird brought over here)

About three weeks ago one of my close friends put a band together and the bassist he hooked up with was an upright player who didn't have a "bass guitar" so I gave him the SX...he likes it just fine and it sounds great. So she is back in the gigging game again.

for the $$ you really can't go wrong. My was one of the $109 models.

That being said I have seen some USA made Peavey Fury P style basses going DIRT cheap on ebay...IMHO they kick much as for the price I have seen (,$100)

I also do like the Squire VMs I tried...interested to see how the P is..but can't recommend against SX for sure.

let us know what you choose! :)

• Members

It looks like they're upgrading the bridge and the tuners on their newer models...

If you look at the model number you'll see that those are "LTD" models and I am glad they make them. I have a pair of 5 stringer ash models and I changed the bridge... which required me to change the pups because the spacing on the new bridge was wider (I used Allparts alnicos). I don't have any issues with the tuners, so as far as I'm concerned the LTD ones don't add much, then again, I've never used an LTD.

• Members

I've had my PJ for a few months now. Sure, I had to set it up out of the box, a couple of sharp frets, a little scratch in the neck pup pot. No big deal. The pots and bridge will be the first things I change. It's my first bass after being a long-time guitar player so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Anyway, it feels good, plays good, sounds good, fit well in my budget, got me a gig, and also looks pretty good.

Would I get another?

Absolutely!

HPIM0890.jpg
HPIM0919_edited.jpg

• Members
I bought one for my cousin and had it shipped to my house so I could make sure it wouldn't be a total piece of {censored} before giving it to him. I ended up liking it alot. I took it to Seattle & Vancouver on a trip with me. I had it in a case, but it travelled well, and actually flew well. First time I've ever taken a bass through the airport. I liked it so much I just bought this for myself the other day. Hopefully its on its way by now.

I need to find a tort guard for it. Anyone know where to get one?

sjb62cvyw1.jpg

Try stew-mac or allparts... or Ebay! :thu:

Archived