Give me some honest info on SX basses!

Noise...

• Members

I'd search, but it's down.

I'm thinking about buying one of these to use until I save up enough for a nice Fender (probably an Active Jazz Bass...)

But, are they too good to be true? I don't have an issue with some sharp frets - that's an easy file down. But are they really what they say they are? Alder and ash bodies? Even Squier usually uses agathis, and they cost twice what SX basses do. Are they really made of decent wood?

Are they playable stock? I'm no modder. I prefer to just buy an instrument that I like stock so I don't have to mess with it. It's not that I can't mod, but more of a "I can't be arsed" type of thing.

Most of all, are they good enough basses to actually keep around, or would it be something I'd shelve for good once I get the Fender I want? Would it be good enough to keep as a back up?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Made of "decent" wood. Usually somewhat playable out of the box. I had no problem with sharp frets. Playable stock but $10-15 of upgrades make it much better. Many people rock them stock, I did for 6 months.... no problems.

Just buy a damn bass!

• Members

I know! I want one so bad, and I just can't get one!

I was going to get one a few months ago, but then I fell in love with a Fender Jaguar and just had to have it. It's since become my main guitar, but it took my "bass savings" to squat.

And, now I could probably afford something like an SX or maybe a Squier, so I'm back to where I was a few months ago. On here, asking for advice about either waiting for the bass I really want (still an active Jazz in vintage white), or getting a cheap bass to play on while saving for the bass I want.

So, with the SX's, is there one type that's noticeably better than the other? Like...are their P basses good, and their Jazz basses mediocre? or Vice-versa?

• Members

I bought one of their P basses...(seem to have been out of stock for awhile now)

the body is lightweight, the neck is really a nice piece of maple and the rosewood board is equally nice. And I've been a cabinet maker in previous lives so I do have a good idea and eye for quality timber...

the pups and pots are giggable....I dropped a used SD 1/4 pounder in mine.

I had intended to replace the machines but decided that they were completely adequate stock....

I've gigged mine for a year...and now that I have a Lakland I will be keeping it as a back up and beater for outdoor gigs or other reason I wouldn't take my new guitar...

I would not hesitate to try their PJ right now....

ON THE OTHER HAND - prior to that I took a chance on one of their fretless, non-fender style guitars. It felt like a toy and and I had to return it. All it cost me was the $25 bucks shipping so I didn't feel too bad about it...but that was definitely NOT a gig worthy guitar.

I think if you stick with a fender style, you have a pretty good chance of getting a decent guitar. I think I was lucky in getting one of the nicer ones and I know at least one guy on the forum who really feels like he got ripped, but the over whelming majority of folks here feel like they get more guitar than they paid for...

which is not to say it's EB Musicman or anything...just saying they are a good value.

Resale value is about nil....if that's a consideration....c-d

• Members

^Would a Squier VM be good enough to record with? I'm talking about serious recording - like to release an EP.

Would it be able to handle that stock? I'm looking at either the Olympic white P-Bass or the natural Jazz Bass. Would either be able to handle recording, or are they a bit to below-par for that?

• Members

I bought one of their P basses...(seem to have been out of stock for awhile now)

the body is lightweight, the neck is really a nice piece of maple and the rosewood board is equally nice. And I've been a cabinet maker in previous lives so I do have a good idea and eye for quality timber...

the pups and pots are giggable....I dropped a used SD 1/4 pounder in mine.

I had intended to replace the machines but decided that they were completely adequate stock....

I've gigged mine for a year...and now that I have a Lakland I will be keeping it as a back up and beater for outdoor gigs or other reason I wouldn't take my new guitar...

I would not hesitate to try their PJ right now....

ON THE OTHER HAND - prior to that I took a chance on one of their fretless, non-fender style guitars. It felt like a toy and and I had to return it. All it cost me was the $25 bucks shipping so I didn't feel too bad about it...but that was definitely NOT a gig worthy guitar.

I think if you stick with a fender style, you have a pretty good chance of getting a decent guitar. I think I was lucky in getting one of the nicer ones and I know at least one guy on the forum who really feels like he got ripped, but the over whelming majority of folks here feel like they get more guitar than they paid for...

which is not to say it's EB Musicman or anything...just saying they are a good value.

Resale value is about nil....if that's a consideration....c-d

Thanks for the input - What would you compare your SX P bass to from the Squier/Fender lines quality-wise?

• Members

I'm borrowing a 62 SX Jazz from our drummer and it's really nice. Finish is good, feels solid, bridge is just as good as any Squire, and the tuners are great. I've strummed and plucked the heck out of the thing and it hasn't gone out of tune. I'm playing it as it was delivered, but with new strings. Everything feels good.

I would say the only thing I could ever think of changing would be the pups. I've got some Lightning Rods I might throw in it to see what that's like.

• Members

Also keep in mind that SX quality has improved quite a bit over the time we've been talking about them here. C-D's negative earlier experience might well be different on the current equivalent of that same model...

• Members

I'm borrowing a 62 SX Jazz from our drummer and it's really nice. Finish is good, feels solid, bridge is just as good as any Squire, and the tuners are great. I've strummed and plucked the heck out of the thing and it hasn't gone out of tune. I'm playing it as it was delivered, but with new strings. Everything feels good.

I would say the only thing I could ever think of changing would be the pups. I've got some Lightning Rods I might throw in it to see what that's like.

How would you say it compares to your Fender Active Jazz? Does it feel anywhere close, or is the difference huge?

Would you consider the SX good enough to be a back-up for the Fender?

• Members

I have 2 SXs and I'd say yes. Both needed a set-up out of the box(what bass under $800 doesn't though). I have one that is completely stock, and I gigged with it and it sounded great. I upgraded the other with a better bridge/pups/pots. I have a nice Reverend now, so the SXs don't get played much anymore and are getting sold.

It's been said before. Best bang for the buck.

• Members

I recently got one of these

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb-75ltd3ts.html

Yes the wood is Ash, and is nice.

The neck is good, not great but very playable.

The tuners are decent, and seem to be much better than the cxheaper stuff.

The bridge is very nice, and seems to very solid.

The weak parts are the pickups, and the pots. I am going to replace the pickups and pots, and I expect I will have a bass worthy of using in a gig.

sjb75ltd3ts5.jpg

• Members

How would you say it compares to your Fender Active Jazz? Does it feel anywhere close, or is the difference huge?

It feels close but the difference is quite noticable. It's its own bass, you know? Let me put it this way: it's comfortable for me to use as a backup in case something goes awry.

I know locals who plays nothing but stock SXs in bands ranging from country to blues, rock to jazz. Like everyone else said: pots and pups. Really the only two concerns and easily and inexpensively fixed.

• Members

I had an SX Jazz a while back. It needed basic set-up out of the box (adjust truss rod, pup height, intonate bridge and dress the fret ends). It sounded fine, but sensible mods might be in order. I replaced the bridge (Gotoh 201), pups (Fender Vintage '60s), pots, knobs jack and plate (from a DOA '80s MIJ Squier Jazz). The pots and bridge made the most difference. So, for $120 for the bass plus $150 for parts I had a rippin' Jazz clone that was way better than an MIM Fender that cost more new.

SX uses nice wood, by the way---alder and ash for the bodies, as opposed to particle board or plywood for most basses in the range. The necks are maple and are pretty decent, though you might see a knot or two.

The VM Squier might make more sense if you're looking to trade up in the future. You'll never get the value of all the components is you sell a modded SX. I'd guess the Squier would hold it's resale value better.

• Members

Bassi%20186small.jpg

Here is mine, sure it needed setup out of the box, like most basses after traveling around the globe.

The neck and the body are good and well made, no sharp frets or anything, my only drawback is that the finish on the neck is really thick, might sand it off one day.

The pickups are very decent if you swap out the pots, it sounds pretty good and I get a giggable sound.

I also swapped out the bridge for BadAssII bridge, I just like bridges with more mass and sustain.

So for around 350$ (with shipping to Iceland and mods) I have a great, giggable and solid workhorse bass.

• Members

I've done shows and recorded with my hot rodded Essex. After a setup, it's very playable. After upgrades, well, I think it's pretty hot. At least I have a good time playing her.

HotRoddedP05.jpg

As far as recording, specifically, I feel a well set up Essex is fine. The vast majority will be the hands and soul of the player.

• Members

Bassi%20186small.jpg

Here is mine, sure it needed setup out of the box, like most basses after traveling around the globe.

The neck and the body are good and well made, no sharp frets or anything, my only drawback is that the finish on the neck is really thick, might sand it off one day.

The pickups are very decent if you swap out the pots, it sounds pretty good and I get a giggable sound.

I also swapped out the bridge for BadAssII bridge, I just like bridges with more mass and sustain.

So for around 350$ (with shipping to Iceland and mods) I have a great, giggable and solid workhorse bass.

That's an awesome looking bass.

I don't mind the finish on the neck - I actually prefer the gloss finished necks to the satin necks.

Swapping out the pots isn't a big deal to me. I can handle that, and that's pretty cheap. The bridge I'd do eventually, but probably not immediately.

Does it fit in a normal Jazz bass hardshell case?

• Members

I've done shows and recorded with my hot rodded Essex. After a setup, it's very playable. After upgrades, well, I think it's pretty hot. At least I have a good time playing her.

HotRoddedP05.jpg

As far as recording, specifically, I feel a well set up Essex is fine. The vast majority will be the hands and soul of the player.

What all did you have to upgrade?

Also, how close are the bodies to actual Fender shapes?

• Members

If I was low on bux, I wouldn't hesitate. I've played a few from the other Chi-town forumites, and think they're definitely worth it. Most guys think they need a good set-up out of the box, and most think new pots help. Beyond that, it's how far do you want to go?

• Members

That's an awesome looking bass.

I don't mind the finish on the neck - I actually prefer the gloss finished necks to the satin necks.

Swapping out the pots isn't a big deal to me. I can handle that, and that's pretty cheap. The bridge I'd do eventually, but probably not immediately.

Does it fit in a normal Jazz bass hardshell case?

I think it would fit fine, it's very close to the fender body shape.

• Members

RigPixxx005.jpg

I like mine alot. It needed alot of work but seriously, the body alone is worth the $200 I paid for it. I had to put new pups in it because it came with pickups for a 4-string :freak: and the bridge was mounted crooked, a problem that was only apparent after I put the Badass bridge on it. I put new pots in it as well.

Any question about the quality of the wood goes away as soon as you pick it up; the {censored}ing thing weighs like 13lbs.:D

C7

• Members

Mine feels the same way... Now you're making me think twice about modding it :(

Archived